Is Iron Toxic or Poisonous? | Fe Toxic/Poison

• Thread starter Rajini
  • Start date
In summary: Ferric iron can catalyze the breakdown of hydrogen peroxide into the more dangerous hydroxyl radicals. Unfortunately, in the presence of other molecules ferric iron can also form insoluble ferrous iron complexes that can cause havoc in the body. For this reason, excess ferric iron is usually only a problem when it is ingested in large amounts (more than 10 mg/day), as it can't be effectively excreted otherwise.
Rajini
Hello all,

Which iron is toxic (Fe 1+, Fe2+, Fe3+, etc ?).
Or is it poisonous whenever one takes excess of any form or iron ?
Somewhere i read that free iron is toxic. Is that means iron with zero oxidation state?
In wiki (for 'iron'), i read that 'Large amount of ingested iron is problematic' What does ingestion means?

thanks

Biology news on Phys.org
Iron is usually only toxic because it catalyzes the breakdown of the oxide H2O2 into the super dangerous hydoxyl radicals HO. It is normaly only biologicaly active in the Fe+3 form and won't normaly be absorbed if not in that form.(Technicly +3 originaly, then +2 to get into the gut lineing then back to +3 for transprotation) Unless it was a specialy desgined supplment I can't imagine any way to eat too much iron.

Normaly iron is almost never found free in the body but is locked up tightly in molecules that block all contact as storage(transferrin) or in enzymes that usually only allow a few reactions to take place. However an over abundance will allow too many chances for escape and it can cause damage where ever it is.

The body doesn't readily take up iron and the most common way to get "iron overload" is from having had too many blood transfusions either because of various surgeries or because the transfusions were to treat Haemophilia or Sickle cell anemia. Haemochromatosis is the name of a genitic(primary) or acquired(secondary) disease that also causes iron overload metabolicly. As the body doesn't have a natural way of excreting excess iron the current treatment is blood letting. Simular to blood donation except that it is dosposed of.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_iron_metabolism

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hemochromatosis#Terminology

Last edited:
madcat8000 said:
Normaly iron is almost never found free in the body but is locked up tightly in molecules that block all contact as storage(transferrin) or in enzymes that usually only allow a few reactions to take place. However an over abundance will allow too many chances for escape and it can cause damage where ever it is.

Thanks. Iron is almost never found free...this means it can be any, e.g., Fe or Fe(II) or Fe(III), etc [i understand from your reply that Fe(III) and Fe(II) are biologically usefull].
Is there some source for your words..because i need to give reference in my report!

Can you cite a web site? Most of my knowledge is gathered over the last ten years and I wasnt collecting sources lol! This site seems to have a lot of good general information on the subject:

http://themedicalbiochemistrypage.org/heme-porphyrin.html

And I don't think you can say that iron is only in the +2 or +3 oxidation states, would be better to hedge bets and say something like "almost always" because there might be a few exmples of other states.

Hi,

I got your point! And that link is quite helpful.
thanks.

madcat8000 said:
Can you cite a web site? Most of my knowledge is gathered over the last ten years and I wasnt collecting sources lol! This site seems to have a lot of good general information on the subject:

http://themedicalbiochemistrypage.org/heme-porphyrin.html

And I don't think you can say that iron is only in the +2 or +3 oxidation states, would be better to hedge bets and say something like "almost always" because there might be a few exmples of other states.

The vast majority of iron in our bodies is ferrous (Fe II), which is found in the plentiful heme's of hemoglobin and myoglobin. Our bodies actually go to great lengths to reduce ferric (Fe III) iron, especially in the blood and heme groups, with the help of such creatively named enzymes as "ferrimyglobin reductase" lol (those biochemists are so creative!)

1. Is iron toxic or poisonous?

Yes, iron can be toxic or poisonous if consumed in large amounts. While iron is an essential mineral for our bodies, too much of it can cause harm.

2. What are the symptoms of iron toxicity?

The symptoms of iron toxicity can vary depending on the level of exposure, but common symptoms include stomach pain, nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. In severe cases, it can lead to liver damage, shock, and even death.

3. How does iron toxicity occur?

Iron toxicity usually occurs when someone takes too much iron supplements or consumes iron-rich foods in excess. It can also occur through accidental ingestion of iron-containing household products, such as iron supplements or vitamins.

4. Who is at risk of iron toxicity?

Individuals who have a condition called hemochromatosis, which causes the body to absorb too much iron, are at a higher risk of iron toxicity. People who take iron supplements without medical supervision and children who accidentally ingest iron-containing products are also at risk.

5. How is iron toxicity treated?

Treatment for iron toxicity typically involves removing the excess iron from the body through a process called chelation therapy. In severe cases, patients may require hospitalization and supportive care for symptoms such as dehydration and electrolyte imbalances. It is essential to seek medical attention immediately if iron toxicity is suspected.