Oxidizing iron bacteria made to work in reverse

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of biological water filtration and the use of bacteria to oxidize iron in raw water. The first stage of filtration involves aerated biological treatment, where the bacteria gain energy by transforming ions from a reduced to an oxidized state. The backwash water from this process contains a high concentration of Fe^+3 and it is desired to reduce it back to Fe^+2. One potential solution suggested is to add an alternative energy source, such as glucose, and create anaerobic conditions for the bacteria to reduce the iron. Further research and consultation with biochemistry experts is recommended.
Rexmundi
My employer operates a biological water filtration plant. The first stage of filtration has the raw water passing through a filter embedded with bacteria, the processes used here is aerated biological treatment where oxidizing processes (bio-oxidation) are used and the microbes gain energy when they transform the ions from a reduced to an oxidized state.
Specifically in the first filter the bacteria oxidize all ferrous oxide to ferric oxide (Fe^+2 to Fe^+3) which is caught in the filter and when the water moves on to the next stage it is completely free of iron.
The large amount of rust build up in the first filter must be periodically cleansed by backwashing. When water is pumped backward through the filter it comes out with both a very very high concentration of Fe^+3 and a portion of the bacteria population.

What I am looking for is a way to reduce the iron in a sample of this backwash water back to Fe^+2. It has been suggested that perhaps an alternative energy source such as glucose could be added then the sample sealed so the bacteria would use all of oxygen present and create anaerobic conditions. In this environment might the very same bacteria that oxidized the iron begin to reduce it?
If not, are there other suggestions on how to accomplish this?

Biology news on Phys.org
If it helps I'll link to an article by Toni A. M. Bridge and D. Barrie Johnson

http://aem.asm.org/cgi/content/abstract/64/6/2181?maxtoshow=&HITS=10&hits=10&RESULTFORMAT=&titleabstract=iron+bacteria&searchid=1&FIRSTINDEX=0&resourcetype=HWCIT

This describes the process I'd like to emulate but my bacteria are living in water at about 10 degrees Celsius so are definitely not thermophiles.

Curious me, have you heard of Brachybacterium sp Mn32? :smile:

Rexmundi said:
If it helps I'll link to an article by Toni A. M. Bridge and D. Barrie Johnson

http://aem.asm.org/cgi/content/abstract/64/6/2181?maxtoshow=&HITS=10&hits=10&RESULTFORMAT=&titleabstract=iron+bacteria&searchid=1&FIRSTINDEX=0&resourcetype=HWCIT

This describes the process I'd like to emulate but my bacteria are living in water at about 10 degrees Celsius so are definitely not thermophiles.

Interesting article. I only skimmed it, but there does not appear to be a mechanistic explanation for the reaction- what enzymes are involved? Once you know the players in the reaction, you can start to ask how to run the reaction in reverse.

I'd recommend doing a literature search (PubMed is a good place to start) to see if you can identify the reaction. And hie thee to a biochemistry department- someone there would be able to help.

What is oxidizing iron bacteria?

Oxidizing iron bacteria are a type of bacteria that can use iron as an energy source. They are commonly found in soil and water environments and are known for their ability to oxidize iron, which means they convert iron from a reduced to an oxidized state.

How are oxidizing iron bacteria made to work in reverse?

Oxidizing iron bacteria can be genetically modified to work in reverse by introducing genes that encode for enzymes that can reduce iron, instead of oxidizing it. This process is known as reverse iron oxidation and can be used to produce valuable products such as biofuels or bioplastics.

What are the potential applications of reverse iron oxidation?

Reverse iron oxidation has many potential applications, including the production of biofuels, bioplastics, and other bioproducts. It can also be used in bioremediation, where the bacteria can be used to clean up contaminated areas by reducing toxic compounds.

How is reverse iron oxidation studied in the lab?

In the lab, reverse iron oxidation can be studied by growing the bacteria in controlled environments and monitoring their growth and metabolic activity. Researchers can also manipulate the bacteria's genetic makeup to optimize their ability to reduce iron and study the effects of different conditions on their performance.

What are the challenges of using reverse iron oxidation in industrial applications?

One of the main challenges of using reverse iron oxidation in industrial applications is the difficulty of scaling up the process. The bacteria require specific environmental conditions to function optimally, and maintaining these conditions on a larger scale can be challenging. Additionally, optimizing the bacteria's performance and ensuring the production of high-value products can also be complex and time-consuming.