Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fear of roller coasters

1. Aug 20, 2009 #1
    Anyone have fear of them? I'm 21 years old and I still won't go on one.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 20, 2009 #2

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Only a moron wouldn't be terrified of roller coasters.

4. Aug 20, 2009 #3

negitron

Science Advisor

Guess I'm a moron.

5. Aug 20, 2009 #4
    Why would that be? I bet the survivability rate is a lot better than mounting the Annapurna

6. Aug 20, 2009 #5

turbo

Gold Member

My wife was terrified of roller coasters until we went to Busch Gardens and I persuaded her to go on one with me. She was screaming, but exhilarated, and when the ride was over, She had me take a picture of her with the ride in the background, and then asked "Where's the other one?" We rode that one too.

7. Aug 20, 2009 #6
    Doesn't the thrill of a roller coaster come from being terrified?

8. Aug 20, 2009 #7
    Thats the whole point of all roller coasters; they are meant to freak you out imagine how it would be like of no one was scared to go on a rollercoaster and not scream when it does all its sinister twirls.

9. Aug 20, 2009 #8
    I go on roller coasters occasionally.
    I *should* think I would be safe because of all the engineers and workers doing constant maintenance on them. However, when I actually ride it I think to myself,
    "Mofo Jesus, I'm gonna die! "

10. Aug 20, 2009 #9
  11. Aug 20, 2009 #10
    I fear nausea, ergo roller coasters.

12. Aug 20, 2009 #11
    I stopped coming to six flags because it just doesn't do it. If time allows I'll pick up sky diving, base jumping, bungee jumping, and being dropped from a helicopter with a snow board at 14000 ft.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2009
  13. Aug 20, 2009 #12

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Same for me. I don't actually fear the coaster itself, but they too often make me nauseous, so I generally avoid all but the gentlest ones.

14. Aug 20, 2009 #13
    Same here,the last time I went on a roller coaster(big dipper in the UK)I came off really dizzy and nauseous and it took over an hour to recover.

15. Aug 20, 2009 #14
    I'm too afraid to go on one. I was on kind of roller coaster which consisted of a car that looked like a log and ran in a track of water. When it got to the end there was a sudden drop of about 25 feet at about a 30 degree slope. I did not enjoy the feeling at all and so I don't experiment any more. However, I rather wish I could get over my fear because I want to experience weightlessness and it seems that some roller coasters do a true freefall for a short time.

16. Aug 20, 2009 #15

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I just came back from New Hampshire, where on our last day of vacation, we took our kids to http://www.storylandnh.com/info.html#3" at least ten times!

Woooooooooo Hooooooooooooooo!

(my 6-year-old, can not stop talking about it.)

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
  17. Aug 20, 2009 #16

negitron

Science Advisor

There are various free fall rides which aren't coasters; as you might expect, they basically drop you straight down.

18. Aug 20, 2009 #17
    I will not stepped in onto a roller coaster that goes really fast and goes upside down if you paid me. How can people get thrilled from feeling terrified? On the other hand, I have no qualms with going on those virtual reality roller coasters like at Disney quest;

19. Aug 20, 2009 #18

turbo

Gold Member

Noblegas, inversions and quick changes in inertia are designed into coasters. You will not be harmed, as long as the machinery is properly maintained. I'll bet more people died trying drive to an amusement park than ever died on a ride.

20. Aug 20, 2009 #19
    I get teased mercilessly until I finally get on the ride. It's always fun and I'm glad I ride everything, but I still haven't gotten over screaming bloody murder the moment the coaster starts and until the coaster pulls back into the station :redface:

21. Aug 20, 2009 #20
    I know I won't die, I just don't like being freaked out; not a pleasant feeling; being on a roller coaster ride is akin to being stuck inside an elevator for a while;

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook