Federal grants from the government to start their businesses

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of obtaining free federal grant money for education, start-up businesses, and real estate rehabilitation or purchase. The Small Business Administration is recommended as a starting point for more information and assistance with writing a detailed proposal. The accuracy of claims about successful businessmen receiving federal grants is questioned, and it is suggested to research further on individuals such as Ross Perot.
goldenstone11
Hello, I am trying to start a business. I found on the internet that men and women can obtain free federal grant money for education, start up businesses and rehabilitate or purchase real estate. I also saw that Ross Perouse, George Bush and Paul Newman received federal grants from the government to start their businesses and non-profit organizations. To qualify you must submit a detailed proposal. I was wondering if this program is legitimate and if so, where can I go to get a business proposal written up.

Physics news on Phys.org
The Small Business Administration is the place to start. There should be offices within one's state and probably a local Chamber of Commerce which one could also contact. Sometimes state programs are easier to work through than the federal program.

http://www.sba.gov/smallbusinessplanner/index.html

I'm not sure of the accuracy about Perot, Bush and Newman.

Perot left IBM (where he was a top salesman) "in 1962 to found Electronic Data Systems (EDS) in Dallas, Texas, and courted large corporations for his data processing services. Perot was refused 88 times before he got his first contract. EDS received lucrative contracts from the U.S. government in the 1960s." (ref Wikipedia - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ross_Perot#Business_career)

Last edited:

Hello,

Thank you for your interest in starting a business and for reaching out for information about federal grants from the government. It is true that there are federal grant programs available for individuals and organizations looking to start a business or pursue other ventures, such as education or real estate rehabilitation.

These grant programs are legitimate and are designed to provide financial support for those who may not have the resources to pursue their goals on their own. However, it is important to note that the application process for these grants can be highly competitive, and not all proposals will be approved for funding.

To increase your chances of success, it is important to thoroughly research the specific grant programs you are interested in and carefully follow all application guidelines and requirements. Additionally, seeking assistance from a professional grant writer or business consultant can be beneficial in crafting a strong and persuasive proposal.

You may also want to consider reaching out to your local Small Business Administration (SBA) office or a Small Business Development Center (SBDC) for guidance and resources on starting a business and applying for grants.

Best of luck in your business endeavors!

1. What types of businesses can receive federal grants?

There is no specific type of business that is favored over others when it comes to receiving federal grants. However, most grants are geared towards supporting businesses that focus on research and development, technology, or those that have a positive impact on the community.

2. How do I apply for a federal grant?

The process of applying for a federal grant can vary depending on the agency or organization offering the grant. Generally, you will need to research and identify a grant that aligns with your business goals, complete an application, and provide supporting documents such as a business plan and financial statements.

3. Are federal grants only available for new businesses?

No, federal grants are available for both new and existing businesses. However, the eligibility requirements may differ for each type of business. Some grants may also require that the business has been in operation for a certain amount of time before applying.

4. How much funding can I receive from a federal grant?

The amount of funding available through federal grants can vary greatly. Some grants may only provide a few thousand dollars while others can provide millions. It is important to carefully review the guidelines and requirements of each grant to determine the potential funding amount.

5. Are federal grants difficult to obtain?

The difficulty of obtaining a federal grant can vary depending on the type of grant and the competition for funding. Some grants may have a more rigorous application process, while others may be more accessible. It is important to thoroughly research and prepare for the application process to increase your chances of success.