Feedback Control: Modeling Mechanical System with Circuit

In summary, the homework statement is trying to find the transfer function for a mechanical system with force input and output. There are two paradigms for modeling the system- one models mass as a capacitor and the other models it as an inductor. The student attempted to solve the equation for the transfer function, but ended up getting the same answer as the webpage they looked at. The student changed the model to include a spring and mass 1 in series and mass 2 in parallel with the current supply. They got the same answer.
Bluestribute

Homework Statement

Find the transfer function for the following mechanical system with force input fin and output x2.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The reason I left the equations blank is because I'm not sure how to appropriately model this scenario. I've seen two different lectures give two different ways of modeling the same thing (one says to model mass as a capacitor, the other an inductor). I also have conflicting information about modeling force: one says current, one says voltage.

Right now, I have two nodes (x1 and x2) connected with a capacitor in between (1/k, with again, conflicting information). The two nodes are connected to a reference ground with two inductors of value m. The current source (fin) is going to node x2.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 457
Physics news on Phys.org
That's actually one of the website I used haha. So I guess now it's just making sure the circuit is correct. I have the force (current) in one loop that has the x2 node and m2 inductor. Then another loop which has the x2 and m2, a 1/k capacitor, and ends with an m1 inductor from the x1 node.

But my answer doesn't match the solution of m1s^2+k/m1m2s^4+k(m1+m2)s^2

What does that solution represent? It doesn't look like a transfer function to me. Maybe it's the grouping of the terms; Are there enough parentheses in the expression to make the order of operations unambiguous? Should it perhaps be:

(m1s^2+k) / ( m1m2s^4+k(m1+m2)s^2 )

And is it the transfer function X2(s)/f or V2(s)/f ?

X2/Fin = (m1s^2 + k) / (m1m2s^4 + k(m1 + m2)s^2) is the transfer function they got

Okay. That works.

I should tell you that I've always been more comfortable with the mass == capacitance paradigm for these sorts of problems. It's probably just me, but I always seem to trip myself up with how to "terminate" the inductors properly. The capacitor version is easy: Capacitors always have one leg grounded.

Anyways, I think your model needs to be changed slightly. You have a mass-spring oscillator that's anchored to another mass. So m1 and the spring become an LC "tank circuit", and m2 becomes another L that connects it to the force (voltage source). Something like this:

upload_2016-2-8_19-0-26.png

Likes Bluestribute
So I'm going to do it the capacitance way just 'cause that's what we have in our lecture notes (the brief brief notes).

I have the spring and mass 1 in series, and that series is in parallel with the second mass, which is in series with the current supply. So the laplace equations are something like:

(1/m1s2 + 1/k) = seriesA
(1/seriesA + 1/m2s2)-1 = seriesB = answer. I get something similar actually, but I have extra terms in there. I end up getting:

m2s2(m1s2+k) / (m1s2(m2s2k + 1) + k

So close . . .

EDIT: Oh . . . I see . . . I didn't inverse my second mass . . . Couldn't see underneath all my erase marks haha! So when done correctly, I get the same answer. Sweet, thanks for clearing that up

Last edited:

1. What is a feedback control system?

A feedback control system is a control system that uses information from the output of a process or system to adjust the input and regulate the behavior of the system. It is a closed-loop system, meaning that it continuously monitors the output and makes adjustments to maintain a desired output.

2. How do you model a mechanical system with circuit?

To model a mechanical system with circuit, you need to first identify the components of the mechanical system and their corresponding electrical components. Then, you can use circuit elements such as resistors, capacitors, and inductors to represent the mechanical components. The laws of physics, such as Ohm's law and Kirchhoff's laws, can be applied to create a mathematical model of the mechanical system.

3. What are the benefits of using feedback control in mechanical systems?

The main benefit of using feedback control in mechanical systems is that it allows for precise control and regulation of the system's behavior. It can also compensate for disturbances and changes in operating conditions, leading to improved performance and stability of the system. Feedback control also allows for easier troubleshooting and maintenance of the system.

4. What are some real-world applications of feedback control in mechanical systems?

Feedback control is widely used in various mechanical systems, such as automotive engines, industrial robots, and aircraft control systems. It is also used in everyday devices like washing machines, air conditioners, and elevators to maintain desired outputs and improve efficiency and performance.

5. How can feedback control systems be optimized?

Feedback control systems can be optimized by adjusting the control parameters, such as gain and time constants, to achieve the desired performance. Advanced control techniques, such as PID control and adaptive control, can also be utilized to improve the system's response and stability. Additionally, regular maintenance and tuning of the system can help optimize its performance over time.