Exploring Options for a Career in the Universe

In summary: That might give you a better idea of what you want and what you're capable of. I hope this was of some help. Good luck in your journey!Hi there!In summary, the person is asking for advice on what to study further in their undergraduate degree and feels overwhelmed by the number of choices available. They are considering studying astrophysics, astronomy, or engineering and feel that each has its own flaws. They would like to know what their every-day work is, the skills and qualities that are needed, or just give a tip or maybe just tell what helped them decide.
Pazarito
Hi!

I'm slowly approaching my time for Uni and since the choice of what to study further will probably shape the rest of my life I am taking it very seriously, but the amount of information and careers to choose from is just overwhelming I thought this might be the right place to ask.
I am sure I want to do something related to the Universe, I just can't figure out what.

My choices so far are astronomer, astrophysicist or engineer (probably aerospace).

I feel an interest towards each one of these but also each one has its own flaws. Maybe there is something else in the field that is more attracting for me that I don't know of yet, but like I said, there are just too many options (and I haven't even started with choosing the University), so I feel kind of lost.

If you could maybe describe your every-day work, the skills and qualities that are needed, or just give a tip or maybe just tell what helped you decide, that would be much appreciated. :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Pazarito said:
Hi!

I'm slowly approaching my time for Uni and since the choice of what to study further will probably shape the rest of my life I am taking it very seriously, but the amount of information and careers to choose from is just overwhelming I thought this might be the right place to ask.
I am sure I want to do something related to the Universe, I just can't figure out what.

My choices so far are astronomer, astrophysicist or engineer (probably aerospace).

I feel an interest towards each one of these but also each one has its own flaws. Maybe there is something else in the field that is more attracting for me that I don't know of yet, but like I said, there are just too many options (and I haven't even started with choosing the University), so I feel kind of lost.

If you could maybe describe your every-day work, the skills and qualities that are needed, or just give a tip or maybe just tell what helped you decide, that would be much appreciated. :)

Hi there!

I understand your problem, having made the decision myself a couple of years ago. I chose to study Physics in the end, though Aerospace was another field that interested me.

Something worth thinking about is the specialty of the field. Studying an undergrad physics degree can easily lead to astrophysics, astronomy, or aerospace engineering. I think you would have a harder time studying aerospace and then transferring to a science discipline (though not impossible). I think studying physics leaves more doors open to you, and opens many of the same that other subjects do.

The first year or two of each of these are very similar. Can you study as an undecided student for a year?

1. What is the study of "Exploring Options for a Career in the Universe"?

The study of "Exploring Options for a Career in the Universe" is a multidisciplinary field that combines aspects of astronomy, astrobiology, and space exploration to explore potential career opportunities beyond Earth.

2. What types of careers are available in the universe?

There are various career options available in the universe, such as astronaut, astrophysicist, astrobiologist, aerospace engineer, space lawyer, and many more. These careers involve exploring, studying, and potentially colonizing other planets or celestial bodies.

3. What qualifications are required for a career in the universe?

The qualifications for a career in the universe will vary depending on the specific field, but generally a strong background in science, mathematics, and engineering is necessary. Advanced degrees and specialized training may also be required for certain careers.

4. Is it possible to have a career in the universe currently?

As of now, there are limited opportunities for careers in the universe. However, with the advancements in space exploration and technology, it is becoming more feasible for individuals to pursue careers in the universe in the near future.

5. What are some potential challenges of having a career in the universe?

Some potential challenges of having a career in the universe include the physical and psychological demands of living and working in space, the high costs associated with space travel and technology, and the potential risks and dangers of exploring unknown environments. It may also require a significant amount of time and dedication to train for and carry out tasks in a space-based career.