Female who likes Physics and Math

• Thread starter Sally Seaver
  • Start date
Sally Seaver
Hi, all. I have bachelor degrees in Social Science, Math and Physics plus training in mathematical logic from the Univ. of California at Irvine [UCI], graduating in 1988. My area of interest after college was in theoretical foundations of science. This includes the choice of primitive concepts and axioms, plus how we use a theory to create clear, consistent explanations. I did full-time independent research during 1994-1996 on these matters. More recently, I have done work related to the formation of the solar system. However, my work is outside the scope of this forum (i.e. it is not in textbooks or respected journals), so I will respectfully stand on the sidelines and sparingly participate if/when I see an appropriate opportunity.

Likes klocke
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

It's hard to say if your work is outside of the scope of the forum because we get some pretty deep questions from time to time. In any event, please take some time to read the site guidelines as we don't dwell on personal theories or speculative science and instead focus on mainstream topics for students of math and sciences.

I did read the guidelines, which informed my introduction.

A topic of discussion that might be allowed has to do with the definition of space within math, which then affects physics as well. Space is defined as the set of all possible points. However, a point does not have any distance, direction or dimension, so how does a collection of these things create the distance, directions and dimension associated with space? The answer is an assumption, an assumption of a one-to-one and onto map between numbers and points on a line in a given direction, or "n" lines for an n-dimensional space.

Perhaps, another allowed topic would be to discuss the circular definition involved for any formal theory of numbers that is defined in the context of the Predicate Calculus (a formal theory of theories in the context of Mathematical Logic), because the Predicate Calculus itself is defined using numeric subscripts and superscripts, where the order of the numeric subscripts and superscripts matters for proofs (and I could talk about how Godel exploited this circularity to prove the negative results he obtained).

However, what would not be allowed is to discuss my new theory for solar system formation which is set forth in The Birth of the Earth.

Sally S.

Greg Bernhardt said:
Welcome Sally!
Question for Greg: why is the OP message counter not advancing? After a few posts it is still zero.

jedishrfu said:
Question for Greg: why is the OP message counter not advancing? After a few posts it is still zero.
Some lounge forums are not counted any longer

With respect to points in space, that is a very deep question. There is ongoing discussion about continuous space of agar vs the pixelated space of QM where we can't decide whether the space is pixelated or the particles are simply quantized within it. I think LQG is investigating these ideas in an attempt to bring QM and GR together.

I really liked Godels theorem and how he proved it even though I can't understand its subtlety. It reminded me of the difficulties found in writing Prolog programs, a computational version of descriptive logic statements, where there were systemthat couldn't be computed even though we could recognize the structure the computer couldn't.

1. What inspired you to pursue physics and math as a female?

I have always been fascinated by the world around me and wanted to understand how it works. Physics and math provide the tools to do just that, and I have always enjoyed solving complex problems and seeing the real-world applications of these subjects.

2. How do you deal with stereotypes and discrimination in the male-dominated fields of physics and math?

I believe that my passion and dedication to these subjects speak for themselves. While there may be stereotypes and discrimination present, I choose to focus on my work and let my achievements speak for themselves. Additionally, I have found a supportive community of fellow female scientists who have helped me navigate any challenges I may face.

3. What advice do you have for young girls who are interested in pursuing physics and math?

My advice would be to not let anyone discourage you from pursuing your interests and passions. Surround yourself with supportive peers and mentors, and never be afraid to ask questions and seek out opportunities to learn and grow.

4. What are some exciting developments or discoveries in physics and math that you find particularly interesting?

There are so many exciting developments and discoveries happening in these fields every day. Personally, I find the advancements in quantum computing and the search for dark matter to be particularly intriguing and groundbreaking.

5. How do you balance your career in science with other aspects of your life?

Balancing a career in science with other aspects of life can be challenging, but I have found that setting boundaries and prioritizing my time helps me maintain a healthy balance. I also make sure to take breaks and engage in activities outside of work to recharge and stay motivated.