Fermi Dirac- missing something from Ashcroft derivation

B}{\partial t}-\vec \nabla\times\vec BIn summary, The conversation is about deriving the Fermi Dirac function following Ashcroft's derivation. The person has reached equation 2.43 but is confused about how to reach 2.44. Through a series of steps, it is explained that by using the definition of P (Eq.2.40) and the definition of \mu, the equation can be simplified to P_{N+1}(E_{\alpha}^{N+1})e^{(\epsilon_i-[\mu])/T}. The conversation also includes a discussion about using LaTeX commands to
Benindelft
[SOLVED] Fermi Dirac- missing something from Ashcroft derivation

Homework Statement

Deriving Fermi Dirac function
following ashcroft all good up to equation 2.43 but then it does the folowing at 2.44
and I can't see how you reach 2.44.

Homework Equations

as

(2.43) f_{i}^{N}= 1- sum(P_{N}(E_{alpha}^{N+1}-E_{i}) which is 'summation over all (N+1) electron states alpha in which there is an electron in the one electron level i)
Then because
P_{N} (E)= exp(-(E-F_{N})/kT)

We may write
(2.44) P_{N}(E_{alpha}^{N+1}- E_{i})=exp((E_{i}-u)/kt)P_{N+1}(E_{alpha}^{N+1})

as u=F_{N+1}-F_{N}

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried just subbing in but I am missing some important point and end up with rubbish...

Physics news on Phys.org
they substitute in Eq. 2.40 and then add 0=F_{N+1}-F_{N+1} in the exponent
[tex]
P_N(E_\alpha^{N+1}-\epsilon_i)=e^{-(E_\alpha^{N+1}-\epsilon_i-F_N)/T}
=e^{-(E_\alpha^{N+1}-\epsilon_i-F_N+F_{N+1}-F_{N+1})/T}
[/tex]
then factor out part
[tex]
=e^{-(E_\alpha^{N+1}-F_{N+1})/T}e^{(\epsilon_i-[F_{N+1}-F_{N}])/T}
[/tex]
and use the defintion of P (Eq.2.40) again
[tex]
=P_{N+1}(E_{\alpha}^{N+1})e^{(\epsilon_i-[F_{N+1}-F_{N}])/T}
[/tex]
and the defintion of \mu
[tex]
=P_{N+1}(E_{\alpha}^{N+1})e^{(\epsilon_i-[\mu])/T}
[/tex]

Thanks! that looks pretty clear to me now.

BTW how do you get the equations to looks so nice? Is that info some where on this website?

Benindelft said:
Thanks! that looks pretty clear to me now.

BTW how do you get the equations to looks so nice? Is that info some where on this website?

I'm using LaTeX commands. LaTeX is a typesetting program that's really good for math. just google "LaTeX tutorial" or something and you will find a lot of information. To use LaTeX on physics forums you have to enclose the commands in between tags... put your mouse over the following equation and then
click on it to see the code (enclosed in tex and /tex tags...in square brackets) which created it
[tex]
\frac{1}{c}\frac{\partial \vec E}{\partial t}
[/tex]

1. What is the Fermi-Dirac distribution and how is it derived?

The Fermi-Dirac distribution is a probability distribution that describes the distribution of electrons in a system at thermal equilibrium. It is derived from the principles of quantum mechanics and statistical mechanics by physicist Enrico Fermi and physicist Paul Dirac.

2. What is the missing component in the Ashcroft derivation of the Fermi-Dirac distribution?

The missing component in the Ashcroft derivation is the inclusion of spin degeneracy, which is the fact that electrons can have two possible spin states: spin up and spin down. This leads to a factor of 2 in the final equation for the Fermi-Dirac distribution.

3. How does the Fermi-Dirac distribution differ from the classical Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution?

The Fermi-Dirac distribution takes into account the quantum nature of particles, specifically the Pauli exclusion principle which states that no two identical fermions (such as electrons) can occupy the same quantum state. This results in a distribution that decreases more sharply at high energies compared to the classical Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution.

4. Can the Fermi-Dirac distribution be applied to all systems?

No, the Fermi-Dirac distribution is specifically applicable to systems of fermions at thermal equilibrium, such as electrons in a solid material. It cannot be applied to systems of bosons (particles with integer spin) or non-equilibrium systems.

5. What are some practical applications of the Fermi-Dirac distribution?

The Fermi-Dirac distribution is used in many areas of physics and engineering, such as in the design of electronic devices like transistors and semiconductors. It is also used in fields like astrophysics to model the properties of dense matter in neutron stars and white dwarfs.