1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ferrite Geometry

1. Mar 7, 2015 #1
    Hello!

We are working with some ferrite rods to build solenoid magnetorquers for a cubesat design. The geometry on these rods is unique. Are there benefits to this type of a geometry?
    IMG_8305.JPG IMG_8304.JPG They are 19.6 cm length x .67cm diameter.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 7, 2015 #2

Baluncore

Science Advisor

Can you give us a part number or a link to the manufacturer of the 6 fluted rods? What are they designed to do?

Since your coil does not contain ferrite where the flutes are, you will need a longer wire to surround the same section of ferrite. That will weigh more than when wound on a simple cylindrical rod.

4. Mar 8, 2015 #3
    I see! Good to know, so you would even recommend to just use a simple cylinder? We are trying to maximize magnetic dipole moment for torque against the magnetic field of the Earth.

As to part numbers etc, I wish. I have no part information. I am working on our team leads to get some more data on them. In the meantime, I thought I would ask on here from a physics standpoint how the flutes will affect things.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook