Ferrite Rod Geometry for Magnetorquer Design

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of ferrite rods for building solenoid magnetorquers for a cubesat design. The rods have a unique geometry of 19.6 cm length and .67cm diameter and the speakers inquire about the benefits of this type of geometry and ask for a part number or link to the manufacturer. The speaker also mentions the need for a longer wire to surround the ferrite in the absence of flutes, which would add more weight. The possibility of using a simple cylinder is also discussed in order to maximize magnetic dipole moment for torque against the Earth's magnetic field. The speaker states that they do not have any part information and are working on obtaining more data on the rods. They also ask
inversquare
Hello!

We are working with some ferrite rods to build solenoid magnetorquers for a cubesat design. The geometry on these rods is unique. Are there benefits to this type of a geometry?
IMG_8305.JPG
IMG_8304.JPG
They are 19.6 cm length x .67cm diameter.

Attachments

• IMG_8304.JPG
    IMG_8304.JPG
    65.3 KB · Views: 694
  • IMG_8305.JPG
    IMG_8305.JPG
    87.3 KB · Views: 447
Engineering news on Phys.org
Can you give us a part number or a link to the manufacturer of the 6 fluted rods? What are they designed to do?

Since your coil does not contain ferrite where the flutes are, you will need a longer wire to surround the same section of ferrite. That will weigh more than when wound on a simple cylindrical rod.

I see! Good to know, so you would even recommend to just use a simple cylinder? We are trying to maximize magnetic dipole moment for torque against the magnetic field of the Earth.

As to part numbers etc, I wish. I have no part information. I am working on our team leads to get some more data on them. In the meantime, I thought I would ask on here from a physics standpoint how the flutes will affect things.

1. What is a ferrite rod and how is it used in magnetorquer design?

A ferrite rod is a cylindrical piece of magnetically conductive material, typically made of a ceramic compound. In magnetorquer design, it is used as a core around which coils are wound to create an electromagnet. The magnetic field generated by the electromagnet interacts with the Earth's magnetic field to control the orientation of a spacecraft.

2. What factors should be considered when selecting the geometry of a ferrite rod for magnetorquer design?

The most important factors to consider are the size and shape of the spacecraft, the strength of the Earth's magnetic field at the spacecraft's location, and the desired level of torque. The diameter and length of the rod, as well as the number of turns in the coils, will determine the strength of the electromagnet and the resulting torque.

3. How does the orientation of the ferrite rod affect the performance of a magnetorquer?

The orientation of the ferrite rod can have a significant impact on the performance of a magnetorquer. The rod should be aligned with the desired axis of rotation for the spacecraft, as any misalignment will result in reduced torque and less precise control. Additionally, the direction of the Earth's magnetic field should be taken into consideration when determining the orientation of the rod.

4. Can the ferrite rod be replaced with a different material in magnetorquer design?

While ferrite rods are commonly used in magnetorquer design due to their high magnetic permeability and low cost, other materials such as iron or cobalt-based alloys can also be used. However, these materials may have different magnetic properties and would require careful consideration and testing to ensure proper performance.

5. Are there any limitations to the size of the ferrite rod in magnetorquer design?

The size of the ferrite rod is limited by its ability to withstand high magnetic fields and the amount of current that can be safely passed through it. The larger the rod, the stronger the magnetic field it can produce, but it may also have a higher risk of saturation or overheating. Factors such as weight and space constraints on the spacecraft should also be taken into account when selecting the size of the ferrite rod.