Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ferrite Geometry

1. Mar 7, 2015 #1
    Hello!

We are working with some ferrite rods to build solenoid magnetorquers for a cubesat design. The geometry on these rods is unique. Are there benefits to this type of a geometry?
    IMG_8305.JPG IMG_8304.JPG They are 19.6 cm length x .67cm diameter.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 7, 2015 #2

Baluncore

Science Advisor

Can you give us a part number or a link to the manufacturer of the 6 fluted rods? What are they designed to do?

Since your coil does not contain ferrite where the flutes are, you will need a longer wire to surround the same section of ferrite. That will weigh more than when wound on a simple cylindrical rod.

4. Mar 8, 2015 #3
    I see! Good to know, so you would even recommend to just use a simple cylinder? We are trying to maximize magnetic dipole moment for torque against the magnetic field of the Earth.

As to part numbers etc, I wish. I have no part information. I am working on our team leads to get some more data on them. In the meantime, I thought I would ask on here from a physics standpoint how the flutes will affect things.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook