How can I calculate the energy needed for ferromagnetic hysteresis?

In summary, the conversation discusses a past paper question regarding a coil of copper wire wrapped around a torus of material. The first part of the question asks for expressions for the H and B fields, and the second part asks for the energy needed to magnetize the material and take it around the hysteresis loop. The conversation also mentions the use of Maxwell's equations and the limitations of using susceptibility in ferromagnetism. The solution involves finding the area under the hysteresis curve, which is different for each material.
Tomsk

Homework Statement

It's a past paper question, but I just don't understand it. I must have missed something here...

The figure [I can't find a decent one to put here] shows a coil of copper wire wrapped around a torus of material. The copper wire makes N turns and carries a current I. The torus has major radius R and minor radius r, where r<<R. Assume that the magnetic is entirely within the material.
(a) The material has a small, constant, positive magnetic susteptibility [tex]\chi[/tex]. Obtain expressions for the H and B fields. [5 marks]
(b) The material is ferromagnetic but owing to heat treatment it is initially unmagnetized.
BHCurve.gif

The graph [this is just one I got off the internet, not the actual one] shows the experimentally measured relationship between H and B as the material is first magnetized along the dotted curve to point a, then taken around the hysteresis loop. Given that R = 0.2m and r=0.02m estimate the energy needed to magnetize the material and the energy needed to take the material around the hysteresis loop. (on the actual graph, H stays between +-5*10^4 Am^-1 and B stays between 1.5 and -1.5 T) [7 marks]

Homework Equations

Maxwell's equations, [tex]\frac{B}{\mu_{0}} = H + M[/tex], [tex]M=\chi H[/tex] change in stored energy = H.dB

The Attempt at a Solution

(a) [tex]\nabla\times H = J_{free}[/tex](because[tex]\epsilon_{0} \partial D/\partial t = 0[/tex])
[tex]\int H.dl = \int J.dA[/tex]
[tex]H.2\pi R = NI[/tex]
[tex]H=\frac{NI}{2\pi R}[/tex]
[tex]B=\mu_{0}(1+\chi)H[/tex]
[tex]B=\mu_{0}(1+\chi)\frac{NI}{2\pi R}[/tex]
Is that OK?

(b)This is where I get stuck. I'm just not sure how it works. Is that curve parameterised by time, or not? I.e, does the system move round the curve automatically once you switch on the current (and have moved it from its equilibrium position) because of the magnetization (if so how?), in the way that a pendulum tries to get to it's equilibrium position, or do you have to adjust the current (or something else?) to change the applied magnetic field, and when you do you find that it moves around that curve? And how do I get from there to the energy required?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You can't use the susceptiblity in ferromagnetism.
The energy is given by \integral H.dB, the area under the hysteresis curve.

Thanks for the reply. Why can I not use susceptibility? I can't think why they would have given it to me otherwise... And would I want to find an equation for B in terms of H, and integrate that, or do I just work out the area approximately by looking at the graph? I would have thought that wouldn't be very accurate...

The ratio B/H is different for every point on the curve.
The susceptibility was given only for part a.
There is no equation for the curve since it is different for different materials.
You do have to just find the appropriate area.

What is ferromagnetic hysteresis?

Ferromagnetic hysteresis is the phenomenon in which a ferromagnetic material exhibits a lag between changes in its applied magnetic field and its resulting magnetization. This lag creates a loop or "hysteresis curve" when the magnetic field is plotted against the magnetization, and is caused by the alignment of magnetic domains within the material.

What is the significance of ferromagnetic hysteresis?

Ferromagnetic hysteresis is important in various industries, especially in the design and operation of magnetic materials and devices. Understanding the hysteresis behavior of a material allows engineers to optimize its performance for specific applications, such as in motors, generators, and magnetic storage devices.

How is ferromagnetic hysteresis measured?

Ferromagnetic hysteresis is typically measured using a hysteresis loop tracer, which applies a varying magnetic field to a sample and measures the resulting magnetization. The shape and size of the hysteresis curve can then be analyzed to determine the characteristics of the material, such as its coercivity and remanence.

What factors affect ferromagnetic hysteresis?

The hysteresis behavior of a material is affected by several factors, including its composition, crystal structure, and microstructure. The strength and direction of the applied magnetic field also play a role, as well as temperature and any mechanical stress on the material.

Can ferromagnetic hysteresis be controlled or eliminated?

Ferromagnetic hysteresis is an inherent property of ferromagnetic materials and cannot be completely eliminated. However, it can be reduced or controlled through various methods such as using different types of materials, adjusting the composition and microstructure, and applying certain temperature and stress conditions.