Upsilon Meson Decays and B Meson Decays: Feynman Diagrams and Distance Traveled

In summary, the width of the decay widths at 4s is much wider than the width at 3s. Weak interactions are the only ones possible as the flavour is not conserved. 1s and 4s decays via strong interaction, while the B mesons that only decay via weak interactions (as flavour is not conserved) and that corresponds to longer lifetimes. Stronger the interaction, the shorter the lifetime.
unscientific

Homework Statement

(a)Draw feynman diagrams of upsilon meson. Why is decay to ##q\bar q## states suppressed? Explain why width for 4s is much wider.
(b) How do B mesons decay? Why is no other type of interaction possible? Draw feynman diagrams.
(c) Find the distance traveled by 1s and 4s.
(d) Why is asymmetry useful here? Find ##\beta##. Find ##E_+, E_-, \beta##.
2009_B4_Q4.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Part(a)[/B]
Feynman diagrams are given by
2009_B4_Q4_2.png

Decay to other ##q \bar q## is cabbibo suppressed by ##\sin \theta_c##.
I'm not sure why the width at 4s is particularly wide.

Part(b)
Weak interactions. Only weak interactions are possible as the flavour is not conserved. Feynman diagrams are shown below:
2009_B4_Q4_3.png

Part(c)
How can I work out ##c\tau## if I don't even have their lifetimes?

Physics news on Phys.org
bumpp

Huh? Where did my post go.

unscientific said:
Decay to other ##q \bar q## is cabbibo suppressed by ##\sin \theta_c##.
Why should it?
There is no decay to ##q \bar q## present in your diagrams.

I'm not sure why the width at 4s is particularly wide.
Same comment as usual: check the particle masses to find possible decays. Which interactions are responsible for them?

Weak interactions. Only weak interactions are possible as the flavour is not conserved. Feynman diagrams are shown below:
Right (but the W sign is odd, one B+ should be B- and the D- label are missing).

How can I work out ##c\tau## if I don't even have their lifetimes?
You have their decay widths, that is nearly the same.

mfb said:
Why should it?
There is no decay to ##qq¯q \bar q## present in your diagrams.
True. Sorry I was thinking of inter-generation mixing in weak interactions. I think it is suppressed because strong interactions are preferred over weak ##(Z^0)## and EM ##(\gamma)## interactions. If that's the case, then wouldn't EM/weak production of lepton/anti-lepton pairs be suppressed as well?

mfb said:
Same comment as usual: check the particle masses to find possible decays. Which interactions are responsible for them?

I think something happened between ##3s## and ##4s## state, something extra must have been produced between ##10.355GeV## and ##10.580 GeV##. I think it's the production of ##B^{+}B^{-}## pair of bosons.

mfb said:
Right (but the W sign is odd, one B+ should be B- and the D- label are missing).
That's right. Thanks for pointing that out.

mfb said:
You have their decay widths, that is nearly the same.
Since ##\Delta E \sim \Gamma## and ##\Delta E \Delta \tau \sim \hbar##,their lifetimes are ##\tau \sim \frac{\hbar}{\Gamma}##. The values are ##\tau_{1s} = 1.3 \times 10^{-20} s## and ##\tau_{4s} = 2.7 \times 10^{-23}s##. The distance traveled before decaying is given by ##c\tau_{1s} = 3.8 \times 10^{-12}m## and ##c\tau_{4s} = 8.1 \times 10^{-15} m ##. The hierarchy is B mesons travel furthest, followed by 1s and then 4s. Not sure why this is the case.

unscientific said:
True. Sorry I was thinking of inter-generation mixing in weak interactions. I think it is suppressed because strong interactions are preferred over weak ##(Z^0)## and EM ##(\gamma)## interactions. If that's the case, then wouldn't EM/weak production of lepton/anti-lepton pairs be suppressed as well?
What is suppressed relative to what now?

I think something happened between ##3s## and ##4s## state, something extra must have been produced between ##10.355GeV## and ##10.580 GeV##. I think it's the production of ##B^{+}B^{-}## pair of bosons.
And ##B^0 \bar B^0##, right.

Since ##\Delta E \sim \Gamma## and ##\Delta E \Delta \tau \sim \hbar##,their lifetimes are ##\tau \sim \frac{\hbar}{\Gamma}##. The values are ##\tau_{1s} = 1.3 \times 10^{-20} s## and ##\tau_{4s} = 2.7 \times 10^{-23}s##. The distance traveled before decaying is given by ##c\tau_{1s} = 3.8 \times 10^{-12}m## and ##c\tau_{4s} = 8.1 \times 10^{-15} m ##. The hierarchy is B mesons travel furthest, followed by 1s and then 4s. Not sure why this is the case.
Think of the available interactions for decays.

mfb said:
What is suppressed relative to what now?

And ##B^0 \bar B^0##, right.

Suppressed relative to strong interactions.

mfb said:
Think of the available interactions for decays.

1s and 4s decays via strong interaction while the B mesons that only decay via weak interactions (as flavour is not conserved) and that corresponds to longer lifetimes. Stronger the interaction, the shorter the lifetime.

How does the 1s decay via strong interaction look like? That is exactly the qqbar decay that is missing here so far. And it is suppressed in the same way the charmonium you had a while ago rarely decays via the strong interaction.

unscientific said:
while the B mesons that only decay via weak interactions (as flavour is not conserved) and that corresponds to longer lifetimes
Right.

mfb said:
How does the 1s decay via strong interaction look like? That is exactly the qqbar decay that is missing here so far. And it is suppressed in the same way the charmonium you had a while ago rarely decays via the strong interaction.

Right.
image.png

OZI suppression. That explains a factor of 1000 out, which is typically the case for OZI suppression.

mfb said:
Right.

Part (d)
Beam power asymmetry is useful as it avoids the centre of mass frame so new particles that are produced will move relative to the lab frame. This allows us to work out the production point of the decay.

Energy of 4s particle is given by ##E = E_{-}(1+\delta)##. It's gamma factor is given by ##\gamma = \frac{E_{-}(1+\delta)}{M_{4s}}##. It's speed in beta is given by ##\beta = \left(1-\frac{1}{\gamma^2} \right)^{\frac{1}{2}}##. Distance it travels in lab frame is given by ##L = \left(c\beta\right) \left( \gamma \tau \right)## as we observe proper time to be dilated by a factor of ##\gamma##.

Given that ##E=10.58## and ##\delta=0.1##, we find that ##E_{-} = 9.62~GeV##, ##E_{+}=0.96~GeV##, ##\gamma = 1.1##, ##\beta = 0.42## and ##L = 3.74 \times 10^{15} ~m##.

Do you think 3.74*1015 m can be a reasonable answer?

Also, your value for E looks wrong.

mfb said:
Do you think 3.74*1015 m can be a reasonable answer?

Also, your value for E looks wrong.
Sorry I meant ##3.74 \times 10^{-15}m##.

For a B+, this is way too short.

mfb said:
For a B+, this is way too short.

I'm not sure what went wrong. Consider two beams smashing together, with one moving at energy equal to mass of particle to be produced, the another moving towards it at 10% of that energy. Total energy is ##1.1 \times M_{4s}##. The gamma factor of particle produced is correspondingly ##\gamma =1.1##. That gives a speed of ##0.46c##. Distance traveled is dilated time multiplied by speed, ##v (\gamma \tau)##. Using the lifetime of 4s as ##3 \times 10^{-23}~s##, I get distance traveled as ##3 \times 10^{-15}~m##.

unscientific said:
Consider two beams smashing together, with one moving at energy equal to mass of particle to be produced, the another moving towards it at 10% of that energy. Total energy is 1.1×M4s1.1 \times M_{4s}. The gamma factor of particle produced is correspondingly γ=1.1\gamma =1.1.
No, as the particle does not get produced at all. The center-of-mass energy is not sufficient. That is the wrong energy I mentioned.

For the flight distance of a B+ you should use the B+ lifetime, not the Y(4s) lifetime.

mfb said:
No, as the particle does not get produced at all. The center-of-mass energy is not sufficient. That is the wrong energy I mentioned.

For the flight distance of a B+ you should use the B+ lifetime, not the Y(4s) lifetime.

How is the total energy insufficient? The energy is ##1.1 \times M_{4s}##?

In the lab frame, yes, but producing an Y(4s) at gamma=1.1 would violate momentum conservation.

mfb said:
In the lab frame, yes, but producing an Y(4s) at gamma=1.1 would violate momentum conservation.
So in the CM frame the total energy is ##M_{4s}## while in the lab frame one has ##1.1 \times E_{-}## energy. I would use invariance of the length of 4-vector to find the energies?

mfb said:
Correct.
[tex]M^2 = (1+\delta)E_{-}^2 - (p_1-p_2)^2 [/tex]
[tex]M^2 = (1+\delta)E_{-}^2 - p_1^2 - p_2^2 + 2p_1p_2[/tex]
[tex]M^2 = \delta E^2(1-\delta) + 2m^2 + \sqrt{\left[ E_{-}^2-m^2\right]\left[ (\delta E_{-})^2-m^2 \right]}[/tex]

Still can't solve for ##E_{-}##..

E is the only unknown quantity in that equation.
You can neglect the electron mass - 0.0005 GeV are irrelevant. That simplifies the equations a lot.

Likes unscientific
Did you got the solution?

1. What are Upsilon Meson decays and B Meson decays?

Upsilon Meson decays and B Meson decays are different types of particle decays that occur in high-energy physics experiments. These decays involve the breaking down of a Upsilon Meson or B Meson particle into smaller particles.

2. What are Feynman diagrams and how are they used in these decays?

Feynman diagrams are graphical representations of particle interactions in which space and time are represented on a two-dimensional plane. They are commonly used to calculate the probability of different particle interactions, including Upsilon Meson and B Meson decays.

3. How do Feynman diagrams help in understanding particle decays?

Feynman diagrams help in understanding particle decays by providing a visual representation of the particles involved, their interactions, and the possible outcomes of the decay process. They also allow for the calculation of important properties such as the decay rate and the distance traveled by the decay products.

4. What is the significance of the distance traveled in these decays?

The distance traveled by the decay products in Upsilon Meson and B Meson decays is an important factor in understanding the underlying physics of the particles. It can provide information about the forces and interactions involved in the decay process, and can also help in identifying new particles or interactions.

5. How are Upsilon Meson and B Meson decays studied in experiments?

Upsilon Meson and B Meson decays are studied in experiments using high-energy particle accelerators, such as the Large Hadron Collider. These accelerators provide the necessary energy for the particles to decay, and detectors are used to measure the decay products and their properties, including the distance traveled.