Feynman Diagram of Neutron-Antineutron reaction

In summary, the process of rearranging quarks to form pions is possible, but requires extra gluon interactions.
JamesM86

Homework Statement

Is the following reaction possible? If so, by what force? Draw (one of, if applicable)the lowest order Feynman diagrams for the process.

n + n-bar --> ∏+ + ∏- + ∏0

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

This process, it seems to me, should be possible. It doesn't violate conservation of energy, charge, or baryon number. However, when I draw the feynmann diagram, I notice something odd.

It is apparently possible to simply rearrange the quarks and antiquarks of the neutron and antineutron into the three pi mesons, without actually making any vertices in the diagram. This would suggest that the process isn't actually mediated by any kind of force...

This can't be right, and I'm quite confused. Thank you for any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
It's a nuclear interaction - try comparing with the other diagrams you have for interactions between nucleons.

I don't "have" any other such diagrams. We have discussed this sort of interaction in detail yet.

Ah - in which case you'd want to look for some online.
You really need to spend some time on ordinary inter-nucleon interactions before you deal with something like this.

Wikipedia has some examples in it's entry on the strong nuclear interaction.

That wikipedia article does have the feynman diagram for the stron interaction between a proton and a neutron. I have seen it before.

So in this diagram I'm drawing, do I need to just add gluons and interactions? My reservation is that I'm supposed to be drawing the lowest order diagrams that I can draw, and so I don't understand why I need to arbitrarily add gluon vertices, or where exactly it would be legitimate to do so.

Take a look at the animation further down - it shows you why you need the extra gluon interactions. You have to work out how the quarks could get resorted into pions - why not just stay in their neutrons? The simplest possible Feynman diagram, after all, is the one where the particles just pass each other without interacting. Something extra has to be happening.

1. What is a Feynman diagram?

A Feynman diagram is a visual representation of the interactions between subatomic particles. It was developed by physicist Richard Feynman to explain the behavior of these particles in terms of quantum field theory.

2. How does a Feynman diagram represent a neutron-antineutron reaction?

In a Feynman diagram, particles are represented by lines and interactions are represented by vertices. For a neutron-antineutron reaction, the initial state would have a neutron and an antineutron line, and the final state would have two outgoing lines representing the resulting particles.

3. What does a neutron-antineutron Feynman diagram tell us about the reaction?

A Feynman diagram shows the possible paths a reaction can take and the probabilities of these paths. It also shows the exchange of virtual particles, which play a crucial role in understanding the fundamental interactions between particles.

4. How is energy and momentum conserved in a neutron-antineutron reaction?

In a Feynman diagram, the lines representing particles have specific directions and arrows indicating their momentum. The total momentum and energy of the initial particles must equal the total momentum and energy of the final particles in order to conserve these quantities.

5. Are there different types of neutron-antineutron Feynman diagrams?

Yes, there can be different types of diagrams depending on the specific interaction between the neutron and antineutron. These diagrams can also include other particles, such as virtual particles, that are involved in the process.