Feynman Diagram Vertices: What needs to be conserved?

In summary: Overall, the conservation laws that must be considered at each vertex in a Feynman diagram depend on the specific process being analyzed and can include energy, momentum, charge, angular momentum, spin, and baryon number. In summary, when drawing Feynman diagrams and dealing with virtual particles, it is important to consider and satisfy the relevant conservation laws.
McLaren Rulez
Hi,

I'm taking introductory particle physics and this is related to the first couple of chapters in Griffiths. If I draw a Feynman diagram for a particular process, what conservation laws must hold at each vertex? Mainly looking at QED processs but as far as I can work out energy and momentum are the main ones. It also seems that one cannot go from one lepton family to another or one quark family to another at a vertex. Anything else I'm missing or incorrectly stating?

Also, when we have virtual particles, are there any restrictions (apart from those above) on what I can use as a virtual particle?

Somehow, its not too clear in Griffiths and I can't find a set of rules online either. Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
In addition to energy and momentum, the conservation laws that must hold at each vertex in a Feynman diagram are those related to charge (e.g. electric charge), angular momentum, spin, and baryon number (the number of baryons minus the number of anti-baryons). In QED processes, you cannot go from one lepton family to another or one quark family to another at a vertex. When dealing with virtual particles, you must also take into account the conservation of energy and momentum, as well as any other conserved quantities relevant to the process being considered (e.g. electric charge, angular momentum, spin, etc.). However, there is no restriction on what type of particle can be used as a virtual particle, as long as the conservation laws are satisfied.

1. What are Feynman Diagram Vertices?

Feynman Diagram Vertices are graphical representations used in particle physics to show interactions between particles. They consist of lines representing particles and points where the lines intersect representing the interaction between the particles.

2. What is the significance of conserving quantities in Feynman Diagram Vertices?

Conservation laws, such as conservation of energy and conservation of momentum, play a crucial role in understanding and predicting particle interactions in Feynman Diagram Vertices. These laws ensure that the total amount of certain quantities before and after the interaction remains the same.

3. What needs to be conserved in Feynman Diagram Vertices?

In addition to the conservation of energy and momentum, other quantities that need to be conserved in Feynman Diagram Vertices include electric charge, baryon number, lepton number, and color charge. These laws help to maintain the fundamental principles of particle physics and explain the behavior of particles.

4. How are conservation laws incorporated into Feynman Diagram Vertices?

Conservation laws are represented in Feynman Diagram Vertices through the use of arrows pointing in the direction of momentum flow, as well as through the use of mathematical equations. These equations ensure that the conservation of quantities is maintained in the interaction between particles.

5. What happens if conservation laws are not satisfied in Feynman Diagram Vertices?

If conservation laws are not satisfied in Feynman Diagram Vertices, it would violate the fundamental principles of particle physics and the interaction would not be possible. This can lead to incorrect predictions and a breakdown of our understanding of the behavior of particles.