1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fiction/Nonfiction novel explaining Magnetism?

1. Apr 13, 2015 #1
    Hi,

I am new to the forums and thought of asking this question convenient right here.

So, I was wondering that we have many novels explaining Astronomy and Particle physics for non physicists or physics enthusiasts. For example books on Biographies of say Einstein go a little deep into his work and some foundational work which helps in understanding Relativity a bit easier. Also we have many books by Stephen Hawking and a specific would be Grand Design explaining the Philosophy of Physics and many astronomical bodies.

Is there such book based on Magnetism or in Condensed matter physics. Just a light read for my sister explaining the basic concepts in easier fashion.

Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 13, 2015 #2

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You need to be very careful when reading some so-called Popular Science books. Unless they come from a reputable source, they can be totally wrong. There is no Trades Description Act applying to authors. Your sister may need to wait until she has progressed in School a bit until she can grasp the subject of Magnetism - except in the very concrete level. Hawking is a bit difficult, even for experienced Physicists at times.

4. Jul 26, 2015 #3

caz

You might try Magnetism: a very short introduction by Blundell. There is also the Francis Bitter autobiography Magnets: The Education of a Physicist.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2015
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook