Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fiction/Nonfiction novel explaining Magnetism?

1. Apr 13, 2015 #1
    Hi,

I am new to the forums and thought of asking this question convenient right here.

So, I was wondering that we have many novels explaining Astronomy and Particle physics for non physicists or physics enthusiasts. For example books on Biographies of say Einstein go a little deep into his work and some foundational work which helps in understanding Relativity a bit easier. Also we have many books by Stephen Hawking and a specific would be Grand Design explaining the Philosophy of Physics and many astronomical bodies.

Is there such book based on Magnetism or in Condensed matter physics. Just a light read for my sister explaining the basic concepts in easier fashion.

Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 13, 2015 #2

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You need to be very careful when reading some so-called Popular Science books. Unless they come from a reputable source, they can be totally wrong. There is no Trades Description Act applying to authors. Your sister may need to wait until she has progressed in School a bit until she can grasp the subject of Magnetism - except in the very concrete level. Hawking is a bit difficult, even for experienced Physicists at times.

4. Jul 26, 2015 #3

caz

You might try Magnetism: a very short introduction by Blundell. There is also the Francis Bitter autobiography Magnets: The Education of a Physicist.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2015
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook