1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fidning the center of mass of an incomplete circle

1. May 21, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Locate the x coordinate of the center of mass of the homogeneous rod bent into the shape of a circular arc. Take r = 170 .

The arc goes from (-5/6) to (5/6)pi (counterclockwise). It has a radius of 170mm.

2. Relevant equations

x=rcosθ, y=rsinθ, dL=r*dθ

3. The attempt at a solution

I found "M" by integrating "170 dθ" from (-5/6)pi to (5/6)pi. This gave me 890.12.

I found "My" by integrating "170 (cosθ) 170 dθ" from (-5/6)pi to (5/6)pi. This gave me 170^2 or 28900.

I used My/M to find the x coordinate of the center of mass as 28900/890.12 or 32.468. However this is incorrect.

2. jcsd
  3. May 21, 2013 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Draw a picture of the bent rod. Include the coordinate axes. If you have polar coordinates r and theta, are they the same as x and y? What are x and y expressed in terms of r and theta? Recalculate your moment based on your findings.

4. May 22, 2013 #3

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Disregard previous post.

5. May 23, 2013 #4

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

What is the correct answer? I seem to get around 21 mm for x (but I did need wolfram alpha [Broken] ).

EDIT: The formula from Wikipedia evaluates to ≈ 32 mm.

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  6. May 23, 2013 #5

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Set up xy coord. system so the semi-circle's open end faces left.
    Draw an axis parallel to the y axis at x = x_0 somewhere between x = 0 and x = R.
    Now sum (integrate) moments to the left & to the right and equate to zero. Express x in polar coordinates and integrate from theta = -5pi/6 to +5pi/6. Solve for x_0.

(I get x_0 = 0.191R = 32.47 mm.)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted