1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Field between 2 conducting spheres in electric field

1. Nov 8, 2011 #1
    Hi,
    I tried to make some simulations of two conducting spheres in a constant electric field. The simulations seem to indicate that the electric field in the gap increases with increasing diameter of the spheres at a constant gap distance. Does this make sense? I expected just the reverse. What is wrong? Does an analytical solution for this problem exist?
    I really appreciate any help.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 8, 2011 #2

clem

Science Advisor

If I approximate the added field at the center of the gap as due to two induced dipoles,
    I get [tex]E=\frac{4E_0}{(1+d/2R)^3}[/tex]. This agrees with what you found.

4. Nov 8, 2011 #3
    Thanx a lot. This matches qualitatively (although it still sounds odd to me). Can you tell me how you have derived this result?

5. Nov 8, 2011 #4

clem

Science Advisor

A conducting sphere in constant electric field E_0 gets an induced dipole moment
    [tex]p=E_0 R^3.[/tex]. The electric field a distance R+d/2 from a dipole is
    [tex]E=2p/(R+d/2)^3.[/tex] Put these together to get the answer.

6. Nov 9, 2011 #5
    Ok. Thank you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook