Field Theory: Nicholson Alg Ext, Sec 6.2 Ex 13 Pg 282 Explained

Regards.In summary, we discuss a question on algebraic extensions and minimal polynomials involving the field $\mathbb{Q}$ and the element $u=\sqrt[3]{2}$. We prove the general fact that if $a$ is an element in an extension of a field $F$ and $[F(a):F]=1$, then $a$ must be an element of $F$. This is due to the minimal polynomial of $a$ over $F$ having a degree of $1$. We then apply this fact to the original question and conclude that since $u^2 \notin \mathbb{Q}$, we have $[\mathbb{Q}(u^2) : \mathbb
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading Nicholson: Introduction to Abstract Algebra, Section 6.2 Algebraic Extensions.

Example 13 on page 282 (see attachment) reads as follows:

"If [TEX] u = \sqrt[3]{2} [/TEX] show that [TEX] \mathbb{Q}(u) = \mathbb{Q}(u^2) [/TEX]"

In the third line of the explanation - see page 282 of attachment - we read:

"But [TEX] [\mathbb{Q}(u^2) \ : \ \mathbb{Q}] \ne 1 [/TEX] because [TEX] u^2 \notin \mathbb{Q} [/TEX] ... ... "

Can someone explain why it follows that [TEX] u^2 \notin \mathbb{Q} \Longrightarrow [\mathbb{Q}(u^2) \ : \ \mathbb{Q}] \ne 1 [/TEX]

Peter

[This has also been posted on MHF]

Physics news on Phys.org
Peter said:
I am reading Nicholson: Introduction to Abstract Algebra, Section 6.2 Algebraic Extensions.

Example 13 on page 282 (see attachment) reads as follows:

"If [TEX] u = \sqrt[3]{2} [/TEX] show that [TEX] \mathbb{Q}(u) = \mathbb{Q}(u^2) [/TEX]"

In the third line of the explanation - see page 282 of attachment - we read:

"But [TEX] [\mathbb{Q}(u^2) \ : \ \mathbb{Q}] \ne 1 [/TEX] because [TEX] u^2 \notin \mathbb{Q} [/TEX] ... ... "

Can someone explain why it follows that [TEX] u^2 \notin \mathbb{Q} \Longrightarrow [\mathbb{Q}(u^2) \ : \ \mathbb{Q}] \ne 1 [/TEX]

Peter

[This has also been posted on MHF]
We prove the following general fact.

Let $E$ be an extension of a field $F$.
Let $a\in E$ be such that $[F(a):F]=1$.
Then $a\in F$.

What is the minimal polynomial of $a$ over $F$? It's degree is $1$. So say $x-b\in F[x]$ is the minimal polynomial of $a$ over $F$.
Now we show that $f(a)\in F$ for any polynomial $f(x)\in F[x]$. Note that $f(x)=(x-a)g(x)+r(x)$ for some $r(x)\in F[x]$ with $\deg r(x)=1$. Thus $f(a)=r(a)$. Since $\deg r(x)=1$, $r(a)\in F$ and hence $f(a)\in F$.
We also knew that $F(a)=\{f(a):f(x)\in F[x]\}$ since $a$ is algebraic over $F$.
So we conclude $F(a)=F$ and hence $a\in F$.

Using the above discussion you can easily solve your original problem.

caffeinemachine said:

Then $a\in F$.

What is the minimal polynomial of $a$ over $F$? It's degree is $1$. So say $x-b\in F[x]$ is the minimal polynomial of $a$ over $F$.
Now we show that $f(a)\in F$ for any polynomial $f(x)\in F[x]$. Note that $f(x)=(x-a)g(x)+r(x)$ for some $r(x)\in F[x]$ with $\deg r(x)=1$. Thus $f(a)=r(a)$. Since $\deg r(x)=1$, $r(a)\in F$ and hence $f(a)\in F$.

Thanks caffeinemachine, most helpful of you. Your post enables me to progress on with Field Theory.

Peter

caffeinemachine said:

Then $a\in F$.

Hi caffeinemachine,

I was just revising and reflecting on your post and have a couple of points needing clarification.

You write:

"So say \(\displaystyle x-b\in F[x] \) is the minimal polynomial of a over F."

Do you mean:

"So say \(\displaystyle x-a \in F[x] \) is the minimal polynomial of a over F."?
Further, later in the post you write:

"Note that \(\displaystyle f(x)=(x-a)g(x)+r(x) \) for some \(\displaystyle r(x)\in F[x] \) with deg r(x)=1."

Given that the divisor (x - a) is of degree 1 does not this mean that the remainder is of degree less than 1, that is deg r(x) = 0?
Can you please clarify these two points?

Peter

Peter said:
Hi caffeinemachine,

I was just revising and reflecting on your post and have a couple of points needing clarification.

You write:

"So say \(\displaystyle x-b\in F[x] \) is the minimal polynomial of a over F."

Do you mean:

"So say \(\displaystyle x-a \in F[x] \) is the minimal polynomial of a over F."?
Further, later in the post you write:

"Note that \(\displaystyle f(x)=(x-a)g(x)+r(x) \) for some \(\displaystyle r(x)\in F[x] \) with deg r(x)=1."

Given that the divisor (x - a) is of degree 1 does not this mean that the remainder is of degree less than 1, that is deg r(x) = 0?
Can you please clarify these two points?

Peter
Thank you Peter. I see that my solution is messed up. I can't believe I made those mistakes.

Here.

We know that the minimal polynomial of $a$ over $F$ has degree $1$. So say $x-b\in F[x]$ is the minimal polynomial of $a$ over $F$.

(Note: Here I don't mean that $x-a\in F[x]$ is the minimal polynomial of $a$ over $F$. We cannot say this because we don't know yet that $a\in F$. Saying $x-a\in F[x]$ would automatically imply that $a\in F$, but that is what we have to prove!)

Now, since $x-b\in F[x]$ is the minimal polynomial of $a$ over $F$, we know that $a$ satisfies $x-b$. Thus $a-b=0$. thus giving $a=b$. Since $b\in F$ (Why? Simply because $x-b\in F[x]$), we have $a\in F$.

Forget about my previous solution. It is an embarrassment.

Tell me if you have any further doubts.

caffeinemachine said:
Thank you Peter. I see that my solution is messed up. I can't believe I made those mistakes.

Here.

We know that the minimal polynomial of $a$ over $F$ has degree $1$. So say $x-b\in F[x]$ is the minimal polynomial of $a$ over $F$.

(Note: Here I don't mean that $x-a\in F[x]$ is the minimal polynomial of $a$ over $F$. We cannot say this because we don't know yet that $a\in F$. Saying $x-a\in F[x]$ would automatically imply that $a\in F$, but that is what we have to prove!)

Now, since $x-b\in F[x]$ is the minimal polynomial of $a$ over $F$, we know that $a$ satisfies $x-b$. Thus $a-b=0$. thus giving $a=b$. Since $b\in F$ (Why? Simply because $x-b\in F[x]$), we have $a\in F$.

Forget about my previous solution. It is an embarrassment.

Tell me if you have any further doubts.

Thanks caffeinemachine! as always, I appreciate your help

Peter

Related to Field Theory: Nicholson Alg Ext, Sec 6.2 Ex 13 Pg 282 Explained

What is Field Theory?

Field Theory is a branch of mathematics that studies the properties of fields, which are algebraic structures that generalize the concept of real and complex numbers. It deals with the fundamental operations of addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division, as well as the properties that these operations must satisfy.

What is Nicholson Alg Ext?

Nicholson Alg Ext, also known as Nicholson's Algebraic Extensions, is a concept in Field Theory that refers to the process of extending a field by adjoining a root of a polynomial. This allows for the creation of larger fields with new elements that satisfy certain algebraic equations.

What is Sec 6.2 Ex 13 on Pg 282?

Sec 6.2 Ex 13 on Pg 282 is a specific exercise in a Field Theory textbook that involves applying the concepts of Field Theory, specifically Nicholson Alg Ext, to solve a mathematical problem. This exercise may involve finding the roots of a polynomial or determining the structure of a field extension.

What does "Explained" mean in this context?

In this context, "Explained" refers to the process of breaking down and clarifying the concepts and steps involved in solving the problem in Sec 6.2 Ex 13 on Pg 282. This may include providing definitions, examples, and explanations of the mathematical concepts used.

Why is it important to understand Field Theory and Nicholson Alg Ext?

Field Theory and Nicholson Alg Ext are important mathematical concepts because they have applications in various fields, including physics, computer science, and cryptography. Understanding these concepts can also help in solving complex mathematical problems and improving problem-solving skills in general.