Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fighter jet crash in San Diego

1. Dec 8, 2008 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

http://ca.reuters.com/article/newsOne/idUSTRE4B76RK20081208

One quote that I heard: "Thank God it didn't hit the high school".

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 8, 2008 #2
    Terrible. I heard two pilots ejected, but one's parachute didn't open.

4. Dec 8, 2008 #3
    Wow, thats really scary. I hope the news continues to report of no one injured. We have several "ditch" areas around me, they are drawn into the city plans. I always wonder about it.

5. Dec 8, 2008 #4

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Two dead for sure, probably four. It sounds like it hit a house where a grandmother, mother, and two children lived. But the early reports are still sketchy.

6. Dec 8, 2008 #5

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The BBC report 2 killed on the ground, there was only one pilot on board who ejected with minor injuries.

7. Dec 8, 2008 #6
    This is news why?

8. Dec 8, 2008 #7

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It's not. Now go back to plotting evil again the religious people. :biggrin:

9. Dec 8, 2008 #8
    There's nothing spectaular about the crash even. We had a state police rescue chopper crash after picking up a car accident survivor. After the helicopter crashed the pilot died but the crash victim survived, yet again!

That's alot more interesting story than a regular ole airplane crashing.

10. Dec 8, 2008 #9

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yadda yadda yadda...grump grump grump...moan moan moan...

11. Dec 8, 2008 #10
    A fighter jet smashing into a house is much more interesting IMO.

12. Dec 8, 2008 #11
    There are a lot of things that can ruin your day real quick. An airplane landing on your house is right at the top of the list.

13. Dec 8, 2008 #12

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

That's not too far from where my company is located. The offices are in a complex along the flight path, and we often see F-18's flying overhead.

The wife of one my colleagues is a principal at a school nearby, and some of the kids are from that neighborhood. They had the kids outide in the playground and saw the pilot eject. I think the pilot landed at the high school - or nearby.

Many years ago, a Navy jet fighter crashed into a business park where the old offices used to be. It burned a bunch of cars and blew some office window out and melted others. I've always wondered about it happening again in that area. All of those neighborhoods were vacant fields when the Naval Air Station was built.

14. Dec 9, 2008 #13

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That is a more interesting story. The helicopter's emergency locator transmitter even failed to activate. Verizon Wireless located the signal from one of the crew's cell phones so rescue workers could find the helicopter.

And, not only did the pilot die, the entire crew and the other car crash victim died. The injured driver of the car was the only survivor in the helicopter crash. College freshman comes home to see her mother promoted to Sergeant First Class, survives a car crash blocks from her home and even talks to her mom after the crash, then dies in a helicopter crash on the way to the hospital.

15. Dec 9, 2008 #14

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Apparently a grandmother, mother and daughter died in one of the houses.

The F-18 was inbound from the carrier Abraham Lincoln.

16. Dec 9, 2008 #15

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Did they all have sex with the same man? That would be interesting.

Actually, I watched the movie, Rumor Has It, and that really wasn't all that interesting.

I still think the helicopter crash was more interesting.

I did think it kind of interesting that, since the pilot landed in a schoolyard, the first thing bystanders thought of was what would have happened if the plane landed there instead. The pilot parachuting into a schoolyard doesn't mean the plane was even close to coming down in the schoolyard.

17. Dec 9, 2008 #16

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I would have thought you would try and leave it it until pretty much the last second to eject if you are putting a large jet down in a neighbourhood and so you would expect to come down somewhere near the crash, the seat doesn't have to fire you very high for the chute to work.

According to wiki - a pilot flying into the same base in the 50s died steering his plane away from a school instead of ejecting. They named the school after him.

18. Dec 9, 2008 #17
    It depends on the nature of the crash. If the plane lost control for some reason, then what good does it do sitting in it until the last minute and killing both yourself and whatever may happen to be in the airplanes way.

I wonder why his airplane crashed though.

19. Dec 9, 2008 #18

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Was it this school in Antwerp, Belgium?

Now that's a landing!

20. Dec 9, 2008 #19

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I had a neighbor in San Diego who had this one go right over his house as it was crashing.

[​IMG]
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PSA_Flight_182

Still shaken by the event a few years later, he said that he could see the terror on the faces of the people in the windows as it went over.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2008
  21. Dec 9, 2008 #20
    That was a really bad accident because a pilot in a small airplane was where he was NOT suppposed to be and they both collided in mid-air.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?