Figuring out motor power needed

In summary: 20 meters per second is not very high so you might want to consider lowering the speed or increasing the torque.
Corporate666
It's been many years since I was doing physics in college, and I am beyond rusty... and I could use a little help.

I am trying to fabricate a little hobby project involving a motorized platform (like a radio controlled car) that I can move at somewhat precise speeds and program relatively precise turns and movement into it.

The idea is to use stepper motors to achieve this. But I really have no idea what torque I will need from the motors.

-Weight of the unit will be 5lbs
-I want to use rollerblade wheels that have a diameter of 80mm
-I want the unit to be able to travel at speeds up to 20meters/sec (ideally)
-I have read that suitable acceleration would be half top speed, so 10m/s^2
-I would like the unit to be able to accelerate at this level on inclines up to 10 degrees

I realize there will be mechanical and electrical losses in the drive system, which I am guesstimating would be perhaps 20%. But I really have no idea where to start figuring out the torque I need. The motors are rated in oz-in.

I am sure this is less complicated than I am making it, but... help! :)

Engineering news on Phys.org
if your 5lb car is resting on an inclined plane of 10deg it would try to roll back. To stop it you would need a force of atleast F= m*g*sin(10) which for a wheel of .08 m equates to tourque of T=F/.08
double that tourqe and you would be fine.
Tourque output of steppet motor decreases with rpm so make sure your motor can provide the torque calculated above at required speed of 20m/s. which for .08 m wheel equates to 20/(pi*.08) rpm.

I_am_learning said:
if your 5lb car is resting on an inclined plane of 10deg it would try to roll back. To stop it you would need a force of atleast F= m*g*sin(10) which for a wheel of .08 m equates to tourque of T=F/.08
double that tourqe and you would be fine.
Tourque output of steppet motor decreases with rpm so make sure your motor can provide the torque calculated above at required speed of 20m/s. which for .08 m wheel equates to 20/(pi*.08) rpm.

if you are interested in the acceleration that you will get, then you need to know more than just the torque. You need to know the Power available - that is Torque times the Speed. Doubling the min calculated torque would be a first stab at it but what speeds do you want?

What is motor power and why is it important?

Motor power is the amount of energy a motor needs to operate and produce a certain level of output. It is important because it determines the performance and efficiency of a motor, and can affect the cost and maintenance of a motor.

How do I calculate the required motor power?

The required motor power can be calculated by determining the load torque and speed requirements of the motor application. The formula for motor power is: power = (torque x speed) / 5252. This will give you the power requirement in horsepower (HP).

What factors affect the required motor power?

The factors that affect the required motor power include the load torque, speed, efficiency of the motor, and any additional factors such as friction, inertia, or starting/stopping requirements. It is important to accurately measure and consider all of these factors when calculating motor power.

What are the consequences of choosing the wrong motor power?

Choosing a motor with too little power can result in the motor stalling or overheating, which can cause damage and lead to frequent breakdowns. On the other hand, choosing a motor with too much power can be wasteful and result in higher energy costs. It is important to select the right motor power for optimal performance and efficiency.

How can I ensure the accuracy of my motor power calculation?

To ensure the accuracy of your motor power calculation, it is important to gather accurate and precise measurements of the load torque and speed requirements. Additionally, consulting with a knowledgeable engineer or using motor sizing software can help to verify your calculations and ensure the correct motor power is chosen.