Filling a Tractor Tire Up With Two Tanks

In summary, the conversation discusses filling up a flat tractor tire with two air tanks, a small (~5 gallons) and a large (~10 gallons), both filled to the same pressure (~100 PSI). The question is whether it is better to fill up the tire first with the small tank and then attach the large tank, or vice versa. The discussion also touches on the theoretical basis of the problem, considering the volume and pressure of the tanks and the goal of maximizing pressure in the tire. Different opinions are shared, with some suggesting using the larger tank first and others suggesting the smaller tank. The conversation ends with the realization that the volume and pressure of the tire also play a role in determining the most effective method.
Hunter235711
My dad and I were going to fill up a tractor tire that was very flat. We had two air tanks, a small (~5 gallons) and a large air tank (~10 gallons) which were both filled to the same pressure (~100 PSI).

We wanted to pressurize the tractor tire as much as possible with the two tanks, and so my dad asked me "would it be better to fill up the tire as much as possible with the small tank and then attach the large tank, or fill it up as much as possible with the large tank first and then attach the small tank?"

What do you all think?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hunter235711 said:
My dad and I were going to fill up a tractor tire that was very flat. We had two air tanks, a small (~5 gallons) and a large air tank (~10 gallons) which were both filled to the same pressure (~100 PSI).

We wanted to pressurize the tractor tire as much as possible with the two tanks, and so my dad asked me "would it be better to fill up the tire as much as possible with the small tank and then attach the large tank, or fill it up as much as possible with the large tank first and then attach the small tank?"

What do you all think?
I think you should tell us what YOU think and why and then ask for comments.

Ok! I was thinking that we should use the larger tank first. I was assuming the residual energy left in a tank is the product of its volume and pressure, so it would be more important to minimize the residual pressure in the larger tank.

I don't have a good technical enlargement, just a practical one. I would use the smaller tank first for the simple reason that that then leaves you with (most likely) one empty tank and one partial tank rather than potentially two partial tanks. You can then toss the empty tank or get it refilled, whatever one does with such empty tanks.

Thanks! I guess my question is more about the theoretical basis of the problem. If you have two tanks (T1 and T2) with volume V1 and V2 where V2>V1 and both with pressure Ph, and the goal is to maximize the pressure in a third tank with volume V3 and pressure P0 where P0<Ph, should you connect tank T1 and T3 first, allow them to reach the same pressure, then connect T2 and T3 and allow them to reach the same pressure? Or should you first connect T2 and T3 and then T1 and T3?

Thanks!
-Hunter

Hunter235711 said:
Thanks! I guess my question is more about the theoretical basis of the problem. If you have two tanks (T1 and T2) with volume V1 and V2 where V2>V1 and both with pressure Ph, and the goal is to maximize the pressure in a third tank with volume V3 and pressure P0 where P0<Ph, should you connect tank T1 and T3 first, allow them to reach the same pressure, then connect T2 and T3 and allow them to reach the same pressure? Or should you first connect T2 and T3 and then T1 and T3?

Thanks!
-Hunter
Isn't that going to depend on the volume of the tire and the pressure you want to get into the tire? I do have to say I didn't really think this through completely. I, for some reason (stupidity?), did not consider the fact that the pressure will try to equalize, not just move gas willy nilly from the tank to the tire regardless of the pressure of the tire.

Last edited:

1. How do you fill a tractor tire up with two tanks?

First, make sure the tractor is on a flat surface and the engine is turned off. Then, connect one tank to the tire's valve stem using an air chuck. Slowly open the tank's valve to allow air to flow into the tire. Once the tire is filled to the desired pressure, close the valve and disconnect the tank. Repeat the process with the second tank until the tire is fully inflated.

2. What are the benefits of filling a tractor tire up with two tanks?

Filling a tractor tire up with two tanks allows for a quicker and more efficient process. The tanks can be filled simultaneously, saving time and effort. Additionally, using two tanks can provide a more consistent pressure in the tire, resulting in a smoother ride and better performance.

3. How much pressure should be put into a tractor tire?

The recommended pressure for a tractor tire varies depending on the size and type of tire. It is important to consult the manufacturer's guidelines for the specific tire being filled. Generally, tractor tires require a higher pressure than car tires, ranging from 20-45 psi.

4. Can you fill a tractor tire up with two tanks if one tank is not full?

It is not recommended to fill a tractor tire with two tanks if one of the tanks is not full. This can result in an uneven pressure distribution in the tire and may cause damage. It is best to wait until both tanks are full before beginning the filling process.

5. What precautions should be taken when filling a tractor tire up with two tanks?

Safety should always be a top priority when filling a tractor tire with two tanks. Make sure the tanks are secure and properly connected to the tire. Wear protective gear, such as gloves and safety glasses, to prevent injury. It is also important to monitor the pressure in the tire and avoid overfilling, which can lead to a blowout.