Fill Balloons Homework: Max # People for Bday Party Balloon

In summary, at a party with a clown, helium balloons will contain 0.00260 m3 of helium at an absolute pressure of 1.10 x 105 Pa. The maximum number of people who will get a balloon is 195.1048951.
MadTay

Homework Statement

A clown at a birthday party has brought along a helium cylinder, with which he intends to fill balloons. When full, each balloon contains 0.00260 m3 of helium at an absolute pressure of 1.10 x 105 Pa. The cylinder contains helium at an absolute pressure of 1.80 x 105 Pa and has a volume of 0.00310 m3. The temperature of the helium in the tank and in the balloons is the same and remains constant. What is the maximum number of people who will get a balloon?

Once I entered my first attempted answer, it gave me this as a hint: http://edugen.wileyplus.com/edugen/courses/crs7924/art/qb/qu/c14/EAT_12266037659380_3045928466969894.gif

Homework Equations

PV=nRT[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

As stated above, since nRT does not change for either the cylinder or the balloons:

PVballoon/PVcylinder=number of balloons
(0.00260)(1.1x105)/(0.00310)(1.8x107)=195.1048951
So I entered 195 as the maximum number of people that would get a balloon, but it told me my answer was incorrect.

I worked another sample in the book with the exact same problem just different numbers, and I got the correct answer, so I am very lost.

Physics news on Phys.org
After the last balloon is filled, will the cylinder be empty?

Please check your original numbers. The pressure in the tank and volume in the tank is such that it looks like it might fill about 2 balloons. The pressure in the tank needs to be much higher and/or its volume needs to be much larger to fill very many balloons. (I see you used a tank pressure of 1.8*E+7 rather than 1.8*E+5 in your calculation. You also have your fraction upside-down))

Likes Merlin3189
I am so sorry, I made a mistake, the original number is supposed to be 1.8*E+7 not 1.8*E+5. I also typed my fractions upside down, but when I did the calculations my fractions were rightside up.

The 195 looks like the correct answer. Once the tank reaches a pressure of 1.1 E+5 Pa (after about 193 balloons), it will not be able to fill up any more balloons, but that is a very minor detail, and 195 is a good answer.

1. How many balloons do I need for a birthday party?

The number of balloons needed for a birthday party depends on several factors, such as the size of the venue, the age of the birthday person, and personal preferences. However, an average of 1-2 balloons per person is a good rule of thumb.

2. What is the maximum number of people that can be filled by one balloon?

This depends on the size and type of balloon being used. Generally, a standard 12-inch latex balloon can hold up to 3.5 cubic feet of helium, which is enough to fill one person. However, larger balloons or those made of different materials may hold more.

3. Can I reuse the balloons after the party?

It is not recommended to reuse balloons after they have been filled with helium. The balloons will gradually lose their helium over time and may not hold up as well for a second use. It is also important to properly dispose of balloons after use to prevent harm to wildlife.

4. How long will the balloons stay inflated?

The amount of time that a balloon will stay inflated depends on several factors, such as the type and size of the balloon, the amount of helium used, and the conditions of the environment. On average, a standard 12-inch latex balloon filled with helium will stay inflated for about 8-10 hours.

5. Are there any safety precautions I should take when filling balloons for a party?

Yes, it is important to follow safety precautions when filling balloons for a party. Be sure to use a high-quality helium tank and follow the manufacturer's instructions carefully. Do not overfill balloons, and never inhale helium gas directly from the tank or balloon. Keep balloons away from open flames and sharp objects to avoid any potential hazards.