Fin/Extended surface differential equation for temperature

In summary, Chet was trying to solve for the differential equation for temperature for a triangular fin, and he didn't understand why A = Pdx on the energy lost by convection. He seems to have figured it out though. He said that T(x,y,z) still changes predominantly on the x axis, so the other two equations remain unchanged. The fin has two areas involved, one perpendicular to the flow of heat in the x direction (which he calls A), and the other perpendicular to the flow of heat from the fin surface into the surrounding air (which is Pdx). For a fin with triangular shape, A is decreasing with x, and P is about constant. Lastly, he said that he knows how
roughwinds
I'm trying to deduce the differential equation for temperature for a triangular fin:
phpjpZDsu.png

I know that for a rectangular fin, such as:
k1WrY.png

I can do:
Energy entering the left:
[tex]q_x= -kA\frac{dT(x)}{dx} [/tex]

Energy leaving the right:
[tex]q_{x+dx} = -kA\frac{dT(x)}{dx} - kA\frac{d² T(x)}{dx²}dx [/tex]

Energy lost by convection:
[tex]dq_{conv} = h_eA(T-T_e)[/tex]
[tex]dq_{conv} = h_eP(T-T_e)dx [/tex]

[tex]q_x - q_{x+dx} - dq_{conv} = 0 [/tex]

[tex]q_x = q_{x+dx} + dq_{conv}[/tex]

[tex]-kA\frac{dT(x)}{dx} = -kA\frac{dT(x)}{dx} - kA\frac{d²T(x)}{dx²}dx + h_eP(T-T_e)dx[/tex]

[tex]kA\frac{d²T(x)}{dx²}dx = h_eP(T-T_e)dx[/tex]

[tex] \frac{d²T(x)}{dx²} = \frac{h_eP(T-T_e)}{kA}[/tex]

But I don't understand why A = Pdx on the energy lost by convection, so I don't know how to adapt that for a triangular fin.

Seems to me that T(x,y,z) still changes predominantly on the x axis, so I assume the other two equations remain unchanged.

Physics news on Phys.org
There are two areas involved here, one perpendicular to the flow of heat in the x direction (which you call A), and the other perpendicular to the flow of heat from the fin surface into the surrounding air (which is Pdx). For a fin with triangular shape, A is decreasing with x, and P is about constant. Also, since A is a function of x, when you do your heat balance on a differential section of fin, the area A must stay inside the heat flux derivative.

Chet

Likes roughwinds
Chestermiller said:
There are two areas involved here, one perpendicular to the flow of heat in the x direction (which you call A), and the other perpendicular to the flow of heat from the fin surface into the surrounding air (which is Pdx). For a fin with triangular shape, A is decreasing with x, and P is about constant. Also, since A is a function of x, when you do your heat balance on a differential section of fin, the area A must stay inside the heat flux derivative.

Chet
So this is correct
121rdht.png

?

[tex]q_x = -kA(x)\frac{dT(x) }{dx}[/tex]
[tex]q_{x+dx} = -kA(x)\frac{dT(x) }{dx} - k\frac{dA(x)}{dx}\frac{d²T(x)}{dx²}[/tex]
[tex]dq_{conv} = h_eP(T(x)-T_e)dx[/tex]
[tex]-kA(x)\frac{dT(x) }{dx} = -kA(x)\frac{dT(x) }{dx} - k\frac{dA(x)}{dx}\frac{d²T(x)}{dx²} + h_eP(T(x)-T_e)dx [/tex]
[tex] k\frac{dA(x)}{dx}\frac{d²T(x)}{dx²} = h_eP(T(x)-T_e)dx [/tex]
[tex]\frac{dA(x)}{dx}\frac{d²T(x) }{dx²} = \frac{h_eP(T(x)-T_e)}{k}[/tex]
[tex]T(x)-T_e = θ(x)[/tex]
[tex]m² = \frac{h_eP}{k}[/tex]
[tex]\frac{d²T(x)}{dx²} = \frac{d²θ(x)}{dx²}[/tex]
[tex]\frac{dA(x)}{dx}\frac{d²θ(x) }{dx²} = m²θ(x)[/tex] (1)

What I've posted here is just a portion of an exercise I was doing, I would then have to solve the ODE to find an equation for T(x). So now I need to get rid of this derivative of A(x). To be honest the only thing I can think of to proceed from here is to find an equation for A(x) and derivate it.

otg6bk.png

[tex]A(x) = 2h(x)P[/tex]
[tex]c² = h² + x²[/tex]
[tex]h(x) = sqrt(c²-x²)[/tex]
[tex]A(x) = 2sqrt(c²-x²)P[/tex]
[tex]\frac{dA(x)}{dx} = \frac{-2Px}{sqrt(c²-x²)}[/tex]
[tex]\frac{d²θ(x) }{dx²} = -\frac{m²θ(x)sqrt(c²-x²)}{2Px}[/tex]

And this is feeling too awkward to be correct, lol. Can you integrate back at (1)?
------
Just thought of
[tex]n²(x) = -\frac{m²sqrt(c²-x²)}{2Px}[/tex]
[tex]\frac{d²θ(x)}{dx²} = n²(x)θ(x)[/tex]
[tex]\frac{d²θ(x)}{dx²} - n²(x)θ(x) = 0[/tex]
[tex]θ(x) = c_1e^{nx} + c_2e^{-nx}[/tex]
I know how to continue from here, but I'm having the sensation that this is wrong.

Last edited:
If P is the dimension shown on your diagram, then the differential heat balance should read:
$$k\frac{\partial}{\partial x}\left(A(x)\frac{\partial T}{\partial x}\right)-2Ph(T-T_e)=0$$
Also, from the figure, A(x) = P t(x), where t is the thickness of the fin at location x. So:
$$k\frac{\partial}{\partial x}\left(t(x)\frac{\partial T}{\partial x}\right)-2h(T-T_e)=0$$

Likes roughwinds
Chestermiller said:
If P is the dimension shown on your diagram, then the differential heat balance should read:
$$k\frac{\partial}{\partial x}\left(A(x)\frac{\partial T}{\partial x}\right)-2Ph(T-T_e)=0$$
Also, from the figure, A(x) = P t(x), where t is the thickness of the fin at location x. So:
$$k\frac{\partial}{\partial x}\left(t(x)\frac{\partial T}{\partial x}\right)-2h(T-T_e)=0$$
I don't think I expressed myself properly before but anyway, finally managed to get it in the way I wanted:
http://i.share.pho.to/0a247f78_o.jpeg
http://i.share.pho.to/57739467_o.jpeg
[tex]T(x) - T_e = θ(x) [/tex]
[tex]m = \frac{h_e(L/e)(1+(e/L)²)^{1/2}}{k} [/tex]
[tex]xθ'' + θ' - mθ = 0[/tex]
Just need to solve that now.

roughwinds said:
I don't think I expressed myself properly before but anyway, finally managed to get it in the way I wanted:
http://i.share.pho.to/0a247f78_o.jpeg
http://i.share.pho.to/57739467_o.jpeg
[tex]T(x) - T_e = θ(x) [/tex]
[tex]m = \frac{h_e(L/e)(1+(e/L)²)^{1/2}}{k} [/tex]
[tex]xθ'' + θ' - mθ = 0[/tex]
Just need to solve that now.
This is an Euler differential equation.

Chestermiller said:
This is an Euler differential equation.
Wouldn't it have to be
[tex]x²θ′′+xθ′−mθ=0[/tex]
for it to be an Euler differential equation?

I tried to do power series but I got stuck in the end:
[tex]y=\sum_{n=0}^\infty a_k x^k[/tex]
[tex]θ'=\sum_{n=1}^\infty ka_k x^{k-1}[/tex]
[tex]θ''=\sum_{n=2}^\infty k(k-1)a_k x^{k-2}[/tex]
[tex]\sum_{n=2}^\infty k(k-1)a_k x^{k-1} + \sum_{n=1}^\infty ka_k x^{k-1} - \sum_{n=0}^\infty m²a_k x^k = 0[/tex]
[tex]\sum_{n=1}^\infty k(k+1)a_{k+1} x^{k} + \sum_{n=0}^\infty (k+1)a_{k+1} x^{k} - \sum_{n=0}^\infty m²a_k x^k = 0[/tex]
[tex]a_1 - m²a_o + \sum_{n=1}^\infty k(k+1)a_{k+1} x^{k} + \sum_{n=1}^\infty (k+1)a_{k+1} x^{k} - \sum_{n=1}^\infty m²a_k x^k = 0[/tex]
[tex]a_1 - m²a_o = 0[/tex]
[tex]a_1 = m²a_o[/tex]
[tex]\sum_{n=1}^\infty k(k+1)a_{k+1} x^{k} + \sum_{n=1}^\infty (k+1)a_{k+1} x^{k} - \sum_{n=1}^\infty m²a_k x^k = 0[/tex]
[tex]\sum_{n=1}^\infty[k(k+1)a_{k+1} x^{k} + (k+1)a_{k+1} x^{k} - m²a_k x^k]= 0[/tex]
[tex]\sum_{n=1}^\infty[k(k+1)a_{k+1} + (k+1)a_{k+1} - m²a_k]x^{k}= 0[/tex]
[tex]\sum_{n=1}^\infty[(k+1)(ka_{k+1} + a_{k+1}) - m²a_k]x^{k}= 0[/tex]
[tex]\sum_{n=1}^\infty[(k+1)(k+1)a_{k+1} - m²a_k]x^{k}= 0[/tex]
[tex]\sum_{n=1}^\infty[(k+1)²a_{k+1} - m²a_k]x^{k}= 0[/tex]
[tex](k+1)²a_{k+1} - m²a_k= 0[/tex]
[tex]a_{k+1}= \frac{m²a_k}{(k+1)²}[/tex]
[tex]k = 1, a_2 = \frac{m²a_1}{4} = \frac{m^{4}a_0}{2!}[/tex]
[tex]k = 2, a_3 = \frac{m²a_2}{9} = \frac{m^{6}a_0}{(3!)²}[/tex]
[tex]k = 3, a_4 = \frac{m²a_3}{16} = \frac{m^{8}a_0}{(4!)²}[/tex]
[tex]k = 4, a_5 = \frac{m²a_4}{25} = \frac{m^{10}a_0}{(5!)²}[/tex]
[tex]a_{2k}= \frac{m^{4k}a_0}{(2k!)²}[/tex]
[tex]a_{2k+1}= \frac{m^{2(2k+1)}a_0}{((2k+1)!)²}[/tex]
[tex]θ(x) = a_0\sum_{n=0}^\infty \frac{m^{4k}x^{2k}}{(2k!)²} + a_0\sum_{n=0}^\infty \frac{m^{2(2k+1)}x^{2k+1}}{((2k+1)!)²}[/tex]

roughwinds said:
Wouldn't it have to be
[tex]x²θ′′+xθ′−mθ=0[/tex]
for it to be an Euler differential equation?
Ooops. Sorry. My mistake.

1. What is the Fin/Extended surface differential equation for temperature?

The Fin/Extended surface differential equation for temperature is a mathematical equation that describes the temperature distribution along a fin or extended surface, which is used in heat transfer analysis. It takes into account parameters such as fin length, thickness, and thermal conductivity to determine how heat is transferred along the surface.

2. Why is the Fin/Extended surface differential equation important in heat transfer analysis?

The Fin/Extended surface differential equation is important because it allows for accurate prediction of temperature distribution along a fin or extended surface. This is crucial in many engineering applications, such as in the design of heat exchangers, cooling systems, and electronic devices.

3. How is the Fin/Extended surface differential equation derived?

The Fin/Extended surface differential equation is derived from the fundamental principles of heat transfer, such as Fourier's law and conservation of energy. It involves solving a second-order partial differential equation, which can be done using analytical or numerical methods.

4. What are the assumptions made in the Fin/Extended surface differential equation?

The Fin/Extended surface differential equation assumes steady-state heat transfer, one-dimensional heat flow, and constant thermal properties along the fin or extended surface. It also assumes that the heat transfer coefficient is constant and that there is no internal heat generation within the surface.

5. Are there any limitations to the Fin/Extended surface differential equation?

Yes, the Fin/Extended surface differential equation has some limitations. It is only valid for fins or extended surfaces with uniform cross-section and thermal properties. It also does not take into account any external factors, such as radiation or convection, that may affect the temperature distribution. In some cases, the equation may need to be modified to account for these factors.