Final volume of a gas using the ideal gas equations

In summary: Yes. i agree. Maybe if the second gas had mass i wold to use V = mRT/P, but this is not the case. I don't find any formule of the gases for resolve the problem. Maybe the teacher forget the mass or he volume value. This is my opinion, but, i would like know your opinion about why its not enogh information and have a more idea for comment it in the class.Also, your temperature conversions need correcting.
Krokodrile
Homework Statement
An oxygen cylinder contains 1 ft^3 gas at `70 F and 200 Psig. What will the volume of the gas be if it passes into a receptacle of dry gas at 90 F and 0.3 inHg above atmospheric pressure? The barometer indicates 14.7 In/lb^2
Relevant Equations
P1V1/T1 = P2V2/T2
Hey there! for this problem i try to use the combinate gas ecuation. First of all the values its necesary to have it in absolutes:
70 F = 527.67 K
90 F = 549.67 K
The ecuation looks like: (200 psig) (1 ft^3)/529.67 K = (0.3 InHg) V2/549.67 K I can eliminate "K" but not psig with InHg for obtain the ft^3 of V2.

And i don't know for what its the value of the barometer.

Physics news on Phys.org
Is this the exact wording of the problem?

Chestermiller said:
Is this the exact wording of the problem?
yes, it is. The word-word statement. Meanwhile i try to resolved, i noticed that if don't have a mase or a volume value in the second gas i can't obtain all the values of that gas. But, yes, its the exact wording of the problem say be the teacher. So, i guees that its possible to resolve

Krokodrile said:
yes, it is. The word-word statement. Meanwhile i try to resolved, i noticed that if don't have a mase or a volume value in the second gas i can't obtain all the values of that gas. But, yes, its the exact wording of the problem say be the teacher. So, i guees that its possible to resolve
Well, in my judgment, there is not enough information provided to answer this question.

Chestermiller said:
Well, in my judgment, there is not enough information provided to answer this question.
Yes. i agree. Maybe if the second gas had mass i wold to use V = mRT/P, but this is not the case. I don't find any formule of the gases for resolve the problem. Maybe the teacher forget the mass or he volume value. This is my opinion, but, i would like know your opinion about why its not enogh information and have a more idea for comment it in the class.

Also, your temperature conversions need correcting.

1. What is the ideal gas equation?

The ideal gas equation, also known as the ideal gas law, is a mathematical relationship between the pressure, volume, temperature, and number of moles of an ideal gas. It is expressed as PV = nRT, where P is pressure, V is volume, n is the number of moles, R is the gas constant, and T is temperature.

2. How is the final volume of a gas calculated using the ideal gas equation?

The final volume of a gas can be calculated by rearranging the ideal gas equation to solve for V. It is expressed as V = (nRT)/P, where n is the number of moles, R is the gas constant, T is temperature, and P is pressure.

3. What is the significance of the ideal gas equation in scientific research?

The ideal gas equation is a fundamental tool in chemistry and physics, as it allows scientists to predict the behavior of gases under different conditions. It is used in various fields such as thermodynamics, atmospheric science, and industrial processes.

4. What are the assumptions made in the ideal gas equation?

The ideal gas equation assumes that the gas particles have negligible volume and do not interact with each other. It also assumes that the gas behaves in a linear fashion and follows the laws of thermodynamics.

5. Are there any limitations to using the ideal gas equation?

While the ideal gas equation is a useful tool, it is not always accurate. It does not take into account the real-world behavior of gases, such as the presence of intermolecular forces and changes in temperature and pressure. It is most accurate at low pressures and high temperatures.