Excited to Tutor Calculus: A Student's Journey to Landing a Campus Job

• Thread starter QuarkCharmer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Job
In summary, QC has successfully passed a qualifications exam and is now working at their university's tutoring center, where they will be tutoring Pre-Algebra to Calculus students. Despite not needing the job, QC is excited to work there and is looking forward to the opportunity to help others with their studies.
QuarkCharmer
That's right! After nearly a year of being wait-listed I successfully interviewed and passed a qualifications exam to work in my university's tutoring center, tutoring Pre-Algebra to Calculus students. I don't know why, but I'm pretty excited about that, I didn't really need the job but I always wanted to work there.

Physics news on Phys.org
Tutoring pre-algebra to calc students? Prepare to lose what little faith in humanity you have left. :biggrin:

Congrats.

Haha yeah I know it's nothing glamorous, but I put in a lot of time there myself being of average intelligence, and I like the idea of (trying to) pay it forward.

That's great, Quark, congrats!

Congrats! No matter what other people tell you about materialism, money is always nice to have. But I agree with jhae--prepare to be frustrated when people ask you how to reduce a fraction, or how to divide two numbers, when you're trying to explain a much more complicated concept.

ideasrule said:
But I agree with jhae--prepare to be frustrated when people ask you how to reduce a fraction, or how to divide two numbers, when you're trying to explain a much more complicated concept.

Amen! :wink:

I know that nobody really gives a crap, but I thought I would post an update anyway.

I love this job. I was fortunate enough to be put with the students that come in for help in College Algebra to Calc, rather than pre-algebra and all that where I thought I would end up (as I have not finished all Calculus's myself). It's great. The feeling you get answering a question, or re-presenting a topic that you found interesting in the way it was taught to you is amazing.

That is all.

QuarkCharmer said:
I know that nobody really gives a crap, but I thought I would post an update anyway.

I love this job. I was fortunate enough to be put with the students that come in for help in College Algebra to Calc, rather than pre-algebra and all that where I thought I would end up (as I have not finished all Calculus's myself). It's great. The feeling you get answering a question, or re-presenting a topic that you found interesting in the way it was taught to you is amazing.

That is all.

I'm happy for you, QC :smile:! Sounds like they hired the perfect person for that position!

QuarkCharmer said:

That is all.
Congratulations!

Good for you. Your learning process goes full circle.

QuarkCharmer said:

That is all.

Well, you're wrong, we do give a crap! :smile:

What you portray here, suggests strongly that you are on the road of becoming a homework helper! :wink:

Finally you have a chance to start to really understand the material :wink:

You know what a dull student is?

Teacher explains once - student doesn't understand.

Teacher explains for the second time - student doesn't understand.

Teacher explains for the third time, and finally got it by himself - student still doesn't understand.

Congrats!

Congratulations - I am on a short list for Math tutoring at my school too. I'll hear closer to the start of fall term. I hope all goes well for you! In a few months we can share 'stories' :p

QuarkCharmer said:
That's right! After nearly a year of being wait-listed I successfully interviewed and passed a qualifications exam to work in my university's tutoring center, tutoring Pre-Algebra to Calculus students. I don't know why, but I'm pretty excited about that, I didn't really need the job but I always wanted to work there.

Congratulations. I think you will get a lot out of teaching others and you will be helping other people achieve their goals too. Some people may not want to be there, but from my own prior experience, when you help someone that really wants to be there, it can make your day. Good luck and be patient ;)

QuarkCharmer said:

That is all.
Hey, don't say that QC, we care here at PF, and that should mean something to you, nice to see you want to give back, it will serve you well in life, always, good life skill to hone and improve too. Good job.

Rhody... :approve:

1. What type of job can I get on campus?

There are a variety of jobs available on campus, including positions in administrative offices, libraries, dining services, campus recreation, and more. You can also look into research assistant positions within your field of study.

2. How can I find out about job openings on campus?

You can check with your school's career center or human resources department for a list of current job openings on campus. You can also visit the websites of specific departments or offices to see if they have any job postings available.

3. What are the benefits of working on campus?

Working on campus can provide a convenient and flexible work schedule, as well as opportunities for networking and gaining experience in your field of study. It also eliminates the need for a commute and allows you to become more familiar with your campus community.

4. How can I balance my job with my studies?

It is important to communicate with your employer about your availability and any potential conflicts with your class schedule. Many on-campus jobs offer part-time or flexible hours to accommodate students. You can also prioritize your time and create a schedule that allows for both work and studying.

5. Can international students work on campus?

It depends on your visa status and the policies of your university. Some international students may be eligible to work on campus as part of their visa requirements, while others may need to obtain work authorization. It is important to check with your university's international student services office for more information.