Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finals week traditions

1. Dec 14, 2006 #1

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 14, 2006 #2
    Umm ranning round the school in undies at 3am, drinking, building a pyrimid of all the picnic tables, creating havoc, joining in staff meetings, pumping music, going out dancing and drinking with the staff, the list goes on....

4. Dec 14, 2006 #3

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

um, wow.. you are just completely out of control!

:biggrin:

5. Dec 14, 2006 #4
    Not out of control, just a bit of fun, most of the staff don't mind

6. Dec 14, 2006 #5

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

That sounds more mental/weird! My favorite was going out on the last Friday of exam week, drinking a fair bit, then coming home at 4am and waking up the poor lad who had an exam on the Saturday morning! Harsh?.. maybe!

7. Dec 14, 2006 #6

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:devil: :rofl: he must have been ready to kill you!

8. Dec 14, 2006 #7

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Haha, yea he was. We felt a bit bad in the morning, but at the time it was hilarious!

9. Dec 14, 2006 #8

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

why can't Moonbear be around when I start a thread like this? :frown:

10. Dec 14, 2006 #9

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:uhh: I'm wondering how all that partying and drinking and running about in undies gets any studying accomplished?

We used to have 23 or 23 1/2 hour "quiet hours" during exam week in the dorms (it was voted on by everyone on the floor before finals started to decide when and how long the "noise hour" would be). Most dorms had secret Santa during the noisy hour, which wasn't just the tame gift exchange it sounds like. We used to leave notes with instructions that needed to be followed before you could get your present, like going next door to the men's dorm in their PJs and sing Christmas carols. Otherwise, it was usually just chaos...every room in the dorm blasted the stereo as loud as they could and made as much noise as possible for the "noise hour." It's a good way to let off exam stress.

UM has the Naked Mile, but that's not until April (it's still cold enough in MI in April) where the students run a mile across campus in the buff.

11. Dec 14, 2006 #10

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

heh heh. I like Secret Santa!

We have this thing called Midnight Yell that everyone does at the end of Spring quarter. I am definitely going to participate.

Some of my classmates live pretty far off campus and we're thinking about getting a hotel room near campus for a few days during Spring finals (just for convenience). We can live just like the other hooligan students for a few days! RAHHHH! :cool:

12. Dec 14, 2006 #11

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Midnight yell? Is that exactly what it sounds like? If so, I'm not gonna ask what you yell at each other!

13. Dec 14, 2006 #12

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

There was a tradition at Rice University of students streaking across campus, sometimes in the library, while covered in shaving cream. Alternatively, they used to run down Main Street and go skinny dipping in the fountain between Main and Fannin - just outside the Warwick Hotel. :uhh:

No one ever told me in advance. :tongue:

The other university I attended had midnight yell session, but I had better things to do in the evening. During grad school, I worked evening or grave yard shifts in a full time job, in addition to teaching and going to school full time, so I didn't have much time for partying.

14. Dec 14, 2006 #13

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

At Virginia Tech, it was considered sophisticated humor to release sheep into the third or fourth floor of a dormitory building at around midnight the night before finals started.

- Warren

15. Dec 14, 2006 #14

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

yep - I think the objective is just to be as loud as possible.

The shaving cream idea is pretty funny. :rofl: And I thought they were all business at Rice.

Hear that, Moonie? Better keep an eye on your flock lest someone reads this and gets ideas. :bugeye:

16. Dec 14, 2006 #15

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Whipped cream might have been more fun. :rolleyes:

:rofl: I'd hate to smell those dorm hallways the week after! But, talk about students dedicated to the perfect joke; it can't be that easy to get sheep up stairs to the 3rd or 4th floor!

I'll keep that in mind if I ever wind up working at Virginia Tech! :bugeye: (Wait, would that mean they wouldn't charge me per diems while the sheep were housed elsewhere for the night? Keep them as long as you want them! :biggrin:)

17. Dec 14, 2006 #16

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Oh, I don't think it was too challenging. They just shoved them into the elevator, pressed '3,' and watched the doors close.

I was in the study lounge on my dorm floor one night when I heard the strangest noise, and all of a sudden people began shouting and laughing and running everywhere. I got up, and looked out the doorway, and saw two sheep just walking down the hallway.

- Warren

18. Dec 14, 2006 #17

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What you didn't realize is they weren't really intending it as a joke. It was those VA farm boys just trying to sneak their dates in...:biggrin:

19. Dec 15, 2006 #18

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I was just thinking the only thing funnier than sheep wandering the halls might be sheep in lingerie wandering the halls. :rofl: That would rule!

20. Dec 15, 2006 #19

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'll send an editorial to the student newspaper.

- Warren

21. Dec 17, 2006 #20

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?