What are some unique ways to de-stress during finals week?

• Thread starter Math Is Hard
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Finals
In summary, some schools have traditions that involve going crazy during finals week, while others have more relaxed ways to blow off steam.
Math Is Hard
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
As a new transfer student, I'm not up on all the traditions, so I did not go running through Westwood in my undies last night:
http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-ex-undie14dec15,0,6116670.story?coll=la-home-headlines

what are/were your school traditions for blowing off steam during finals week?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Umm ranning round the school in undies at 3am, drinking, building a pyrimid of all the picnic tables, creating havoc, joining in staff meetings, pumping music, going out dancing and drinking with the staff, the list goes on...

rhuthwaite said:
... joining in staff meetings...

um, wow.. you are just completely out of control!

:biggrin:

Not out of control, just a bit of fun, most of the staff don't mind

rhuthwaite said:
going out dancing and drinking with the staff

That sounds more mental/weird! My favorite was going out on the last Friday of exam week, drinking a fair bit, then coming home at 4am and waking up the poor lad who had an exam on the Saturday morning! Harsh?.. maybe!

cristo said:
That sounds more mental/weird! My favorite was going out on the last Friday of exam week, drinking a fair bit, then coming home at 4am and waking up the poor lad who had an exam on the Saturday morning! Harsh?.. maybe!

:devil: :rofl: he must have been ready to kill you!

Math Is Hard said:
:devil: :rofl: he must have been ready to kill you!

Haha, yea he was. We felt a bit bad in the morning, but at the time it was hilarious!

why can't Moonbear be around when I start a thread like this? :frown:

Math Is Hard said:
why can't Moonbear be around when I start a thread like this? :frown:

:uhh: I'm wondering how all that partying and drinking and running about in undies gets any studying accomplished?

We used to have 23 or 23 1/2 hour "quiet hours" during exam week in the dorms (it was voted on by everyone on the floor before finals started to decide when and how long the "noise hour" would be). Most dorms had secret Santa during the noisy hour, which wasn't just the tame gift exchange it sounds like. We used to leave notes with instructions that needed to be followed before you could get your present, like going next door to the men's dorm in their PJs and sing Christmas carols. Otherwise, it was usually just chaos...every room in the dorm blasted the stereo as loud as they could and made as much noise as possible for the "noise hour." It's a good way to let off exam stress.

UM has the Naked Mile, but that's not until April (it's still cold enough in MI in April) where the students run a mile across campus in the buff.

heh heh. I like Secret Santa!

We have this thing called Midnight Yell that everyone does at the end of Spring quarter. I am definitely going to participate.

Some of my classmates live pretty far off campus and we're thinking about getting a hotel room near campus for a few days during Spring finals (just for convenience). We can live just like the other hooligan students for a few days! RAHHHH! :cool:

Midnight yell? Is that exactly what it sounds like? If so, I'm not going to ask what you yell at each other!

There was a tradition at Rice University of students streaking across campus, sometimes in the library, while covered in shaving cream. Alternatively, they used to run down Main Street and go skinny dipping in the fountain between Main and Fannin - just outside the Warwick Hotel. :uhh:

No one ever told me in advance. :tongue:

The other university I attended had midnight yell session, but I had better things to do in the evening. During grad school, I worked evening or grave yard shifts in a full time job, in addition to teaching and going to school full time, so I didn't have much time for partying.

At Virginia Tech, it was considered sophisticated humor to release sheep into the third or fourth floor of a dormitory building at around midnight the night before finals started.

- Warren

cristo said:
Midnight yell? Is that exactly what it sounds like? If so, I'm not going to ask what you yell at each other!

yep - I think the objective is just to be as loud as possible.

Nuc said:
There was a tradition at Rice University of students streaking across campus, sometimes in the library, while covered in shaving cream. Alternatively, they used to run down Main Street and go skinny dipping in the fountain between Main and Fannin - just outside the Warwick Hotel.

The shaving cream idea is pretty funny. :rofl: And I thought they were all business at Rice.

chroot said:
At Virginia Tech, it was considered sophisticated humor to release sheep into the third or fourth floor of a dormitory building at around midnight the night before finals started.
Hear that, Moonie? Better keep an eye on your flock lest someone reads this and gets ideas. :bugeye:

Math Is Hard said:
The shaving cream idea is pretty funny. :rofl: And I thought they were all business at Rice.
Whipped cream might have been more fun. :rolleyes:

Math Is Hard said:
chroot said:

- Warren

Hear that, Moonie? Better keep an eye on your flock lest someone reads this and gets ideas. :bugeye:

:rofl: I'd hate to smell those dorm hallways the week after! But, talk about students dedicated to the perfect joke; it can't be that easy to get sheep up stairs to the 3rd or 4th floor!

I'll keep that in mind if I ever wind up working at Virginia Tech! :bugeye: (Wait, would that mean they wouldn't charge me per diems while the sheep were housed elsewhere for the night? Keep them as long as you want them! :biggrin:)

Oh, I don't think it was too challenging. They just shoved them into the elevator, pressed '3,' and watched the doors close.

I was in the study lounge on my dorm floor one night when I heard the strangest noise, and all of a sudden people began shouting and laughing and running everywhere. I got up, and looked out the doorway, and saw two sheep just walking down the hallway.

- Warren

chroot said:
Oh, I don't think it was too challenging. They just shoved them into the elevator, pressed '3,' and watched the doors close.

I was in the study lounge on my dorm floor one night when I heard the strangest noise, and all of a sudden people began shouting and laughing and running everywhere. I got up, and looked out the doorway, and saw two sheep just walking down the hallway.

- Warren

What you didn't realize is they weren't really intending it as a joke. It was those VA farm boys just trying to sneak their dates in...:biggrin:

Moonbear said:
What you didn't realize is they weren't really intending it as a joke. It was those VA farm boys just trying to sneak their dates in...:biggrin:

I was just thinking the only thing funnier than sheep wandering the halls might be sheep in lingerie wandering the halls. :rofl: That would rule!

Math Is Hard said:
I was just thinking the only thing funnier than sheep wandering the halls might be sheep in lingerie wandering the halls. :rofl: That would rule!

I'll send an editorial to the student newspaper.

- Warren

chroot said:
I'll send an editorial to the student newspaper.

- Warren

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

1. What are some common finals week traditions?

Some common finals week traditions include all-night study sessions, group study sessions, wearing lucky clothing or items, and participating in stress-relieving activities such as yoga or meditation.

2. Do different universities have different finals week traditions?

Yes, different universities may have their own unique traditions. For example, some universities may have a "Midnight Breakfast" where students can enjoy a free meal during late-night studying, while others may have a "Puppy Palooza" where therapy dogs are brought to campus to help students de-stress.

3. Are there any potential downsides to participating in finals week traditions?

While participating in finals week traditions can be fun and help relieve stress, it's important to remember to prioritize your studying and not let these traditions interfere with your academic performance. It's also important to make sure any activities you participate in are safe and legal.

4. How can I start my own finals week tradition?

If you want to start your own finals week tradition, you could gather a group of friends and come up with a fun idea, such as having a themed study session or hosting a potluck dinner. It's also helpful to plan ahead and make sure your tradition doesn't interfere with your studying or exams.

5. Do professors or universities promote or discourage finals week traditions?

This may vary depending on the specific university and professors. Some may encourage stress-relieving activities, while others may discourage any activities that may distract from studying. It's important to follow any guidelines or rules set by your university and professors.