Confused about Financial Aid? Get the Answers Here!

In summary: He doesn't have a financial aid counselor, and there isn't any financial aid night in his school either. So he has no idea about the financial aid system. In summary, Steve understands that there are three types of financial aid: scholarships, grants, and loans. He also knows that you have to pay back both the grants and the loans, and that both are not covered by bankruptcy. Finally, Steve recommends that if he wants grants or scholarships, he should fill out his FAFSA.
apples
OK, I've tried to learn about financial aid, but I still am utterly confused. I don't have a financial aid counselor, and there isn't any financial aid night in my school either. So I have no idea about the financial aid system.
So please can someone explain the whole system?
What I understood is that there are the types of aid
1) Scholarship
2) Grants
3) Loans

Am I right?
And you have to return the loans in some time span wit some interest. Right?
Can someone just explain the whole thing.

Physics news on Phys.org
apples said:
OK, I've tried to learn about financial aid, but I still am utterly confused. I don't have a financial aid counselor, and there isn't any financial aid night in my school either. So I have no idea about the financial aid system.
So please can someone explain the whole system?
What I understood is that there are the types of aid
1) Scholarship
2) Grants
3) Loans

Am I right?
And you have to return the loans in some time span wit some interest. Right?
Can someone just explain the whole thing.

fill out your fafsa, you'll either get grants + subsidized loans or unsubsized loans.

subsidized means that the government is paying the interest on them while you're in school. once your done with school they start acruing interest.

unsubsized obviously means that they acrue interest while you're in school.

both you have to pay back. both are not covered by bankruptcy. both can be deferred a couple of times.

obviously grants you never have to pay back and scholarships are handled private organizations.

If I want grant(s?) and/or(?) scholarship(s?), and not loans, then what do I do?
If I fill out my FAFSA, do I automatically get loans?
What's the process if I want to do this.

Thanks a lot

First, you fill out your fafsa. At the end of the application, it will ask you to send it to the colleges you applied to. Depending on what state (if you live in the US) you live in, you might get additional grants and scholarships that are state specific. You have to fill out a fafsa in order for your college/university to give you financial aid (loans, grants, scholarships, work study, etc.).

Last edited:
if i only want grants and scholarships and no loans.
then if i get a loan, can i cancel it?
any specific procedure for this?

apples said:
if i only want grants and scholarships and no loans.
then if i get a loan, can i cancel it?
any specific procedure for this?

yes you can refuse the loan but my suggestion is to take it. even if you don't spend it stick it into a high yield bank account or cd or something

OK, thanks a lot for the advice people.
One more thing.
i need to fill out my fafsa, university finaid forms, the CSS form on collegeboard(?), the financial aid profile on collegeboard.
Anything else?

you don't have to fill out anything on collegeboard, unless they look for scholarships for you or something

A Few FA Sites

I've found a few fianancial aid/scholarship sites in my travels that I found handy. Hopefully you find the same. You may want to check out:

http://www.finaid.org/" - Tons of info on all sorts of funding options from scholarships to grants to student loans.
http://www.nextstudent.com/" - While they provide student loans and consolidation their site has a bunch of tools and resources. If you look in the left-hand navigation you'll find links to their tutorial, tools & resources and a school directory.
http://studentaid.ed.gov/" - The site the government puts up on the subject. Good to get some advice right from the source when it comes to loans.

Hope this helps. If you find some other good resources please feel free to post them. Information is power. :)

Regards.

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is financial aid?

Financial aid refers to any type of funding or assistance that is provided to students to help them pay for their education. This can include scholarships, grants, loans, and work-study programs.

2. Who is eligible for financial aid?

Eligibility for financial aid depends on several factors, including your financial need, academic standing, and the school you are attending. Most financial aid programs require that you are a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen, have a high school diploma or equivalent, and are enrolled in an eligible degree or certificate program.

3. How do I apply for financial aid?

To apply for financial aid, you must first fill out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). This application is used by the government and colleges to determine your eligibility for financial aid. You can fill out the FAFSA online or in paper form.

4. When should I apply for financial aid?

The best time to apply for financial aid is as soon as possible after October 1st of the year before you plan to attend college. This will ensure that you are considered for all available aid, as some programs have limited funds and are awarded on a first-come, first-served basis.

5. What is the difference between grants and loans?

Grants are a form of financial aid that does not need to be repaid, while loans must be repaid with interest. Grants are typically based on financial need, while loans may be based on need or creditworthiness. It is important to carefully consider the terms of any loans you accept, as they will need to be repaid after you graduate or leave school.