2nd BS Degree Advice_Business to Environmental Engineering

In summary, the individual is considering going back to school for a degree in environmental engineering after realizing their interest in science and dislike for business. They are concerned about financing another degree and not qualifying for federal financial aid. They have a BS in Business Administration from UC Berkeley and have researched various graduate programs, but without a background in hard science or math, they may have difficulty getting accepted. The suggestion is to look into dual degree programs in business and environmental engineering, as well as internships and other training opportunities to gain the necessary technical skills. It is also advised to research potential tuition reimbursement and financial aid options.
studentalways101
I have decided I really really really want to go back to school to expand my education into environmental engineering. I currently have a BS in Business Admin from UC Berkeley. I have researched several masters programs, and it is looking like it will be very difficult for me to even get into a program w/o any hard science/math background.

I would like your opinion/advice, on whether it is a good idea for me to go back for a BS in environmental engineering. One (really the only) concern is financing another BS, since I won't qualify for federal financial aid. I currently have a very low paying part-time job. Fortunately I do not have too much student loan debt since I transferred into UC Berkeley (in-state student) from a community college.

*Just some background: Before majoring in business I was going to study chemistry (I loved science and math in HS/Freshman year college), but after being told the lab was a very lonely place, I switched. I recently started a company which required me to relearn some basic chemistry, and I realized how much I loved science and dislike business. After the company failed (unfortunately shortly after it started), I audited several different science classes and spoke to many professors/professionals. This is when I discovered how much interest I had in environmental engineering. After researching more into it, I know this is really what I want to do; just trying to figure out how now.

Physics news on Phys.org
My advice would be to look into programs and universities that offer a dual degree in business and environmental engineering. Many schools offer a dual MBA/MS in environmental engineering, which could help you combine your current business knowledge and background with the technical skills you need for environmental engineering. You could also consider internships and other short-term research and training opportunities to gain the technical skills you need, so that you can be more competitive when applying for graduate programs. Additionally, many employers offer tuition reimbursement and other financial aid options, so you should research what possibilities exist in your area.

1. What are the benefits of pursuing a second degree in business to environmental engineering?

Pursuing a second degree in business to environmental engineering can open up a wide range of career opportunities. It allows individuals to combine their knowledge of business and environmental science, making them valuable assets in the growing field of sustainability. Additionally, having a diverse skill set can lead to higher salaries and job security.

2. How long does it typically take to complete a second degree in business to environmental engineering?

The length of time it takes to complete a second degree in business to environmental engineering varies depending on the program and individual circumstances. Some programs offer accelerated options that can be completed in as little as one year, while others may take two to three years.

3. Can I pursue a second degree in business to environmental engineering if my first degree is in a different field?

Yes, many universities offer second degree programs specifically designed for individuals who have a different undergraduate degree. These programs often have prerequisite courses that must be completed, but they allow individuals to gain the necessary skills and knowledge to transition into a new field.

4. Are there any specific skills or experience that are helpful for pursuing a second degree in business to environmental engineering?

Having a strong background in math and science is beneficial for pursuing a second degree in business to environmental engineering. Additionally, experience in business or environmental science through internships or work experience can provide a solid foundation for the program.

5. How can I finance a second degree in business to environmental engineering?

There are several options for financing a second degree in business to environmental engineering, including scholarships, grants, loans, and employer tuition assistance. It is important to research and explore all options to determine the best financial plan for your individual circumstances.