Elementary row operations- Linear Algebra

In summary, the conversation discusses finding three row operations (E1, E2, and E3) to transform a 4x3 matrix A into matrix B. The attempted solution uses a 3x3 identity matrix, but the correct answer requires a 4x4 identity matrix because row operations are performed by multiplying on the left by an mxm matrix. The expert also confirms this explanation.
lina29

Homework Statement

Consider the following 3 row operations performed to a 4x3 matrix A used to transform it into matrix B:
E1: -4R1+R4-> R4
E2: R2<->R3
E3: (1/2)R4-> R4
From there I am asked to find E1, E2, E3.

The Attempt at a Solution

I assumed the identity matrix I would start out with was
1 0 0
0 1 0
0 0 1
0 0 0

and then by using E1 the matrix would become
1 0 0
0 1 0
0 0 1
-4 0 0

However, the answer was counted wrong. Am I approaching the question the wrong way or am I using the wrong identity matrix?

Physics news on Phys.org
The identity matrix is actually 4x4:
[1 0 0 0
0 1 0 0
0 0 1 0
0 0 0 1]

ohh thank you so much! I got the correct answers but why is the identity matrix a 4x4 when the original matrix is a 4x3?

Last edited:
lina29 said:
ohh thank you so much! I got the correct answers no but why is the identity matrix a 4x4 when the original matrix is a 4x3?

Because you perform row operations on an mxn matrix by multiplying on the left by an mxm matrix.

RGV

Ray Vickson said:
Because you perform row operations on an mxn matrix by multiplying on the left by an mxm matrix.

RGV

what he said.

1. What are elementary row operations in linear algebra?

Elementary row operations are a set of three basic operations that can be performed on rows of a matrix in linear algebra. These operations include multiplying a row by a nonzero constant, swapping two rows, and adding a multiple of one row to another row.

2. Why are elementary row operations important?

Elementary row operations are important because they allow us to manipulate and transform matrices in order to solve systems of linear equations. These operations do not change the solutions of a system, but they can help us simplify and solve it more easily.

3. How do elementary row operations affect the determinant of a matrix?

Elementary row operations do not change the determinant of a matrix. Multiplying a row by a constant will multiply the determinant by the same constant, swapping rows will change the sign of the determinant, and adding a multiple of one row to another will not affect the determinant at all.

4. Can elementary row operations be used to find the inverse of a matrix?

Yes, elementary row operations can be used to find the inverse of a matrix. By performing these operations on an augmented matrix (a matrix with the original matrix and the identity matrix side by side), we can transform the original matrix into the identity matrix, and the resulting augmented matrix will be the inverse of the original matrix.

5. Are there any limitations to elementary row operations?

There are some limitations to elementary row operations. For example, not all matrices are invertible, so elementary row operations cannot be used to find the inverse of every matrix. Additionally, these operations cannot be used to solve systems of equations with dependent or inconsistent solutions.