Find a line tangent to the parametric curve

In summary, the conversation is about finding the equation of the line tangent to a parametric curve at a given point. The correct equation for the tangent line is given as r(t) - r(t_0) = r'(t_0)(t - t_0), and the conversation also discusses the difference between setting t = 0 and t = t_0 in this equation. Ultimately, the final equation for the tangent line is given as q(t) = <\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}},\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}},\frac{3\pi}{4}> + \frac{\pi t}{4}<\frac{-1}{
flyingpig

Homework Statement

Let [tex]r(t) = <\cos(e^{-t}),\sin(e^{-t}),3e^{-t}>[/tex], find the equation of the line tangent to r(t) at the point [tex]\left ( \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}, \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}, \frac{3\pi}{4} \right)[/tex]

Homework Equations

Okay, in just normal Cartesian Coord, we have [tex]y - y_0 = f'(x)(x - x_0)[/tex]

So I suspect in parametric form we have something like [tex] r - r_0 = r'(t)(t - t_0)[/tex]

I am a bit unsure about the t - t0 part.

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]r'(t) = <-e^{-t}\sin(e^{-t}), -e^{-t}\cos(e^{-t}), -3e^{-t}>[/tex]

So I must find a t corresponding to the point [tex]\left ( \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}, \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}, \frac{3\pi}{4} \right)[/tex].

I set [tex]r(t) = \left ( \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}, \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}, \frac{3\pi}{4} \right)[/tex]

Solving (well I only need to solve for one of them), I get t = [tex]-ln{\frac{\pi}{4}}[/tex]

Then I evaluated [tex]r'(-ln{\frac{\pi}{4}}) = \frac{-\pi}{4}<\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}, \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}, 3>[/tex]

Now the problem is, I don't know how to set up my line. I know I am in Calculus right now and I should know it by now, but I don't so that's why I am here.

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
flyingpig said:
So I suspect in parametric form we have something like [tex] r - r_0 = r'(t)(t - t_0)[/tex]

Isn't it in your text?

[tex]\vec R(t) = \vec R(t_0) + t\vec R'(t_0)[/tex]

LCKurtz said:
Isn't it in your text?

[tex]\vec R(t) = \vec R(t_0) + t\vec R'(t_0)[/tex]

No, mine had a minus sign

If you are taking multiple variable calculus, you should be able to recognize that
[tex]r- r_0= r'(t_0)(t- t_0)[/tex]
(NOT "r'(t)") is the same as
[tex]r= r_0+ r'(t_0)(t- t_0)[/tex]
though NOT necessarily the same as
[tex]r= r_0+ r'(t_0)t[/tex]
unless [itex]t_0= 0[/tex].

You should have learned by now that a curve or line (one-dimensional figure) cannot be written in a single equation. A single equation reduces from 3 dimensions to 3- 1 dimensions- a surface. To write a curve you have to have either two equations, reducing to 3- 2= 1 dimension, or three parametric equations (so you have 4 variables with 3 equations: 4- 3= 1- or just think that depending on 1 parameter is 1 dimensional). The parametric equations for the tangent line to
[tex]\vec{r}(t)= f(t)\vec{i}+ g(t)\vec{j}+ h(t)\vec{k}[/tex]
at [itex](x_0, y_0, z_0)[/itex] are given by
[tex](x_0+ tf'(t_0)\vec{i}+ (y_0+ tg'(t_0))\vec{j}+ (z_0+ th'(t_0))\vec{k}[/tex]
where [itex]t_0[/itex] is, of course, the value of the parameter t that gives [itex](x_0, y_0, z_0)[/itex] in the original vector function.

Last edited by a moderator:
And to flying pig, just in case you are puzzled by the difference between these two equations of the tangent line:

[tex]
\vec R(t)= \vec R(t_0)+ \vec R'(t_0)t
[/tex]

[tex]
\vec R(t)= \vec R(t_0)+ \vec R'(t_0)(t- t_0)
[/tex]

They both give the same line but with a different parameterization. The first tangent line is at R(t0) when t = 0 and the second is at R(t0) when t = t0.

Let me correct myself. I think the tangent line should have the form of

[tex]r(t) - r(t_0) = r'(t_0)(t - t_0)[/tex]

HallsofIvy said:
If you are taking multiple variable calculus, you should be able to recognize that
[tex]r- r_0= r'(t_0)(t- t_0)[/tex]
(NOT "r'(t)") is the same as
[tex]r= r_0+ r'(t_0)(t- t_0)[/tex]
though NOT necessarily the same as
[tex]r= r_0+ r'(t_0)t[/tex]
unless [itex]t_0= 0[/tex].
I am not sure what you are getting at here, the first and second looks the same to me

LCKurtz said:
And to flying pig, just in case you are puzzled by the difference between these two equations of the tangent line:

[tex]
\vec R(t)= \vec R(t_0)+ \vec R'(t_0)t
[/tex]

[tex]
\vec R(t)= \vec R(t_0)+ \vec R'(t_0)(t- t_0)
[/tex]

They both give the same line but with a different parameterization. The first tangent line is at R(t0) when t = 0 and the second is at R(t0) when t = t0.[/QUOTE]

If t = 0 for the first one, shouldn't we get [tex]\vec{R(t)} = \vec{R(t_0)} - \vec{R(t_0)}t_0[/tex]?

Same argument for the other one.

Anyways taking the form [tex]r(t) - r(t_0) = r'(t_0)(t - t_0)[/tex]

I get q(t) (I will use another letter)

[tex]q(t) = <\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}},\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}},\frac{3\pi}{4}> + \frac{\pi}{4}<\frac{-1}{\sqrt{2}},\frac{-1}{\sqrt{2}}, -3> (t - (- ln\frac{\pi}{4}))[/tex]

This is the one I thought it was right originally but according to HallsoIvy, it should be

[tex]q(t) = <\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}},\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}},\frac{3\pi}{4}> + \frac{\pi t}{4}<\frac{-1}{\sqrt{2}},\frac{-1}{\sqrt{2}}, -3> [/tex]

Where I completely removed t0

1) What is a parametric curve?

A parametric curve is a mathematical representation of a curve in a coordinate system, where the coordinates are defined by one or more parameters. This allows for a more flexible and dynamic representation of curves compared to traditional Cartesian coordinates.

2) How do you find a line tangent to a parametric curve?

To find a line tangent to a parametric curve, you can use the derivative of the curve with respect to the parameter. The slope of this derivative will give you the slope of the tangent line. Then, you can use the point-slope form of a line to find the equation of the tangent line.

3) What information do you need to find a line tangent to a parametric curve?

You will need the parametric equations of the curve, the value of the parameter at the point where you want to find the tangent line, and the derivative of the curve with respect to the parameter at that point.

4) Can you find the tangent line to a parametric curve at multiple points?

Yes, you can find the tangent line to a parametric curve at any point along the curve by using the same process of finding the derivative and using the point-slope form of a line.

5) How can knowing the tangent line to a parametric curve be useful?

Knowing the tangent line to a parametric curve can be useful in a variety of applications, including physics, engineering, and computer graphics. It can help to determine the direction and rate of change of a curve at a specific point, which can be important in understanding the behavior of a system or in designing a visual representation of a curve.