1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find a relation between dx/dt and dy/dt

1. Mar 7, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A particle moves counterclockwise around the ellipse with equation 9x^2 + 16y^2 = 25.

a). In which of the four quadrants in dx/dt > 0? Explain.
    b). Find a relation between dx/dt and dy/dt.
    c). At what rate is the x-coordinate changing when the particle passes the point (-1,1) if its y-coordinate is increasing at a rate of 6 m/s?
    d). Find dy/dt when the particle is at the top and bottom of the ellipse.

2. Relevant equations
    None

3. The attempt at a solution

a). I don't see how I could solve this with differentiation so I drew a picture of the ellipse. If the particle is travelling counter-clockwise, x will be increasing over time in quadrants 3 and 4.

b). Implicitly differentiating for x and y both as functions of t I get
    dx/dt = (-32y*dy/dt)/18x

c). Plugging in the values for the above formula...
    dx/dt = -32*6/18 = -32/3

d). If the particle is at the top and bottom of the ellipse, then x is zero, and thus dy/dt is zero because

dy/dt = (-18x*dx/dt)/32y = 0 @ x = 0

Just checking if I did this correctly particularly a) as I don't see how I can "explicitly" show that dx/dt > 0 in quadrants 3 and 4 outside of explaining why in English.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 7, 2013 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Since the ellipse was not given parametrically (i.e., as x = f(t) and y = g(t) for some functions f and g), I believe that you did what you were supposed to do for part a. IOW, look at the graph and determine visually that dx/dt > 0 where x is increasing.

The only thing you should add are some units in part c. They're telling you the units at which y is changing, so you should report the same units when you say how x is changing. Also, it's probably a good idea to simplify the fraction.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2013
  4. Mar 7, 2013 #3
    Will do, thanks.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 7, 2013
  5. Mar 7, 2013 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

What you can say for part a, is by direct observation, x is increasing in the 3rd and 4th quadrants.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted