Find a when lim f(x)=(x^2+x+a)/(x-1) = 3 x->1

• Thread starter jgthb
  • Start date
In summary, Jonathan found an old high school math exercise and was wondering how it should be answered mathematically correct. The exercise is: Given lim f(x)=(x^2+x+a)/(x-1) = 3 for x->1, determine a. He found that if x=1, the top limit must be zero, so a=-2.
jgthb
Hi

I just found an old high school math exercise and was wondering how it should be answered mathematically correct. The exercise is:

Given lim f(x)=(x^2+x+a)/(x-1) = 3 for x->1, determine a. Back in high school I used to say something like this:

Since the denominator goes to 0 for x -> 1 the fraction must be reducible, so x=1 must be a root in the numerator, and thus we can write it as (x-1)(x-b). Hence:

f(x)=(x-1)(x-b)/(x-1)=x-b.

For x->1 we get:

1-b=3 => b=-2, and thus:

(x-1)(x+2)=x^2+x-2,

so a=-2.

The part I think lacks rigour is the argument that the fraction must be reducible. I guess you have to go on about it in some other way. Any suggestions?

/Jonathan

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi Jonathan! Welcome to PF! :smile:

(try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)
jgthb said:
The part I think lacks rigour is the argument that the fraction must be reducible. I guess you have to go on about it in some other way. Any suggestions?

Looks ok to me … the top must be 0 at x = 1, or the whole thing will be infinite.

But a much quicker way to get a is that if x = 1, the top must be zero, so a = -2.

(More interesting would be to do it for limx->1(x2 + bx + a)/(x-1) = 3, find a and b :wink:)

thanks for the reply.

The problem as I see it is that you cannot look at the limit of the numerator and denominator separately, so to me it seems like these arguments doesn't work. But I think i have figured it out:

If you do the following:

lim((x^2+x+a)/(x-1))=lim((x^2+x+a-2+2)/(x-1))=lim((x-1)(x+2)+(a+2))/(x-1))
=lim((x+2)+(a+2)/(x-1))=lim((x+2))+lim((a+2)/(x-1))=3+lim((a+2)/(x-1)).

Now if a != -2 the limit is indefinite (since it goes towards +infinity for x -> 1+ and -infinity for x -> 1-), and thus the limit is only valid for a=-2.

jgthb said:
The problem as I see it is that you cannot look at the limit of the numerator and denominator separately, so to me it seems like these arguments doesn't work. But I think i have figured it out:

If you do the following …

Yes, that also works.

But you can look at the limit of the numerator and denominator separately, in that you can say that if the bottom limit is 0, then the top limit must be also, or the result will be ∞.

(in fact, I think that's so obvious, i wouldn't even bother to say it)

when it comes to limits I like to have some theorem to backup intuition. but okay, this time it really is obvious as you say, so I'll just accept it :)

What is a limit?

A limit is a mathematical concept that represents the value that a function approaches as its input approaches a specific value, often denoted as x approaches a certain number.

What is the purpose of finding a limit?

Finding a limit allows us to understand the behavior of a function near a certain point. It helps us determine the value of a function at a point where it may not be defined or where there is a discontinuity.

How do you find a limit?

To find a limit, we can either evaluate the function at the specific value or use algebraic methods such as factoring and simplifying to rewrite the function in a form that is easier to evaluate.

What does the notation "lim" and "f(x)" mean in this situation?

The notation "lim" stands for limit and indicates that we are finding the limiting value of a function. "f(x)" represents the function itself, with the variable x as the input.

How do you solve for the value of a in this equation?

To solve for a in this equation, we can use algebraic methods to manipulate the function into a form where we can easily solve for a. We can also use the given limit to set up an equation and solve for a using basic algebraic techniques.