What is the range of possible values for the divisor d in this division problem?

• Thread starter chickenguy
  • Start date
In summary, the question asks for the possible values of d when a certain positive integer N is divided by d and the remainder is 7, and when 2N+3 is divided by d, the remainder is 1. Through solving a system of equations, the possible values of d are found to be 8 and 16, with the condition that d must be greater than 7. However, if this condition is removed, there are five possible values of d, including 1, 2, 4, 8, and 16.
chickenguy
Hi everyone, there is this question that is really bugging me and i am wondering if you guys could help me out.

When a certain positive integer N is divided by a positive integer d, tje remainder is 7. if 2N+3 is divided by d, the remainder is 1. Find all possible values of d.

Pleasse help me with this one, as it is urgent

Mathematics news on Phys.org
N = 7 (mod d)

2N + 3 = 1 (mod d)

Substituting:

2*7 + 3 = 1 (mod d)

17 = 1 (mod d)

I wouldn't say it's too hard to work it out from there. If a simple way doesn't occur to you then just check all the values for d less than 17.

Last edited:
sorry, but i happen to be very bad at maths, so could you please give me the whole explanation and asnwers? i don't understand your explanation

Hmm...I have not studied modulus, and my method & solution are likely incorrect :frown:

Let there be two numbers, p & q, defined as follows:
[tex] \frac{{n - 7}}{d} = p [/tex]
and
[tex] \frac{{2n + 3 - 1}}{d} = 2\left( {\frac{{n + 1}}{d}} \right) = q [/tex]

Now, from the conditions of the problem, it is clear that [tex] \left( {p,q} \right) \in \mathbb{Z}^2 [/tex] and [itex] d > 7 [/itex]. Next, we just solve this system of equations for [itex] d [/itex]. From the first equation, we find that [itex] n = pd + 7 [/itex]. Substituting this to solve for [itex]d[/itex] in the second equation:
[tex] 2\left( {\frac{{pd + 8}}{d}} \right) = q \Rightarrow \frac{8}{d} = \frac{q}{2} - p \Rightarrow d = \frac{{16}}{{q - 2p}} [/tex]

Because [tex] \left( {p,q,d} \right) \in \mathbb{Z}^3 [/tex] and [tex] d > 7 [/tex],

...therefore [tex] d = \left\{ {8,16} \right\} [/tex].

And those are the only two solutions for [itex] d [/itex].
(I may be wrong...:frown:)

bomba923 the idea is that we don't give answers, we just try and help the person. Though you are on the right track there is no reason for d to be greater than 7, there are in fact a total of 5 solutions for d.

Zurtex said:
there are in fact a total of 5 solutions for d.
Why 5? :confused: I think there are only 4.
Viet Dao,

VietDao29 said:
Why 5? :confused: I think there are only 4.
Viet Dao,
1,2,4,8,16|16

lurflurf said:
1,2,4,8,16|16
Whoops,... N divides d, the remainder is 7. So d > 7.
There are 2 only. :wink:
But, in fact... 1 is obvious not the answer...
Viet Dao,

chickenguy said:
Hi everyone, there is this question that is really bugging me and i am wondering if you guys could help me out.

When a certain positive integer N is divided by a positive integer d, tje remainder is 7. if 2N+3 is divided by d, the remainder is 1. Find all possible values of d.

Pleasse help me with this one, as it is urgent
a|b means b/a has no remainder
or that there exist and integer s such that
as=b
in the mod notation
a=b (mod c)
means c|(a-b)
the conditions given can be written
d|(N-7)
d|(2N+2)
a basic theorem of arithmetic say
if d|x and d|y
then
d|(ax+by) for all integers a and b
so
d|(a(N-7)+b(2N+2))
so since we do not know N chose a and b relatively prime so that
a(N-7)+b(2N+2) is a positive integer
this is quite easily done
as we want a+2b=0
and 2b-7a>0
and gcd(a,b)=1
once it is
d|(a(N-7)+b(2N+2))
will be written
d|r
where r is a known natural number
the factors of r are possibilities for d

VietDao29 said:
Whoops,... N divides d, the remainder is 7. So d > 7.
There are 2 only. :wink:
But, in fact... 1 is obvious not the answer...
Viet Dao,
good point 5 numbers come out of the
d|16 step, but some are extraneous (ie do not meet the original requirements)

Yes, I'm sorry for confusing the situation there, the definition of remainder that I had in my head was perhaps a little too liberal for the question that was given.

Zurtex said:
bomba923 the idea is that we don't give answers, we just try and help the person. Though you are on the right track there is no reason for d to be greater than 7, there are in fact a total of 5 solutions for d.

Well, [tex] d > 7 [/tex] because divisors less than or equal to seven cannot produce quotients with remainders of seven (it wouldn't make any sense, though perhaps I should have mentioned this in my solution post :frown:)
*If we remove the condition d > 7, then there are indeed five solutions: d={1,2,4,8,16}. But d={1,2,4} will not produce remainders of seven...so eliminating those, you are left with d={8,16} as the only possible solutions (with the "remainder seven" requirement...and d=1 divides all integers anyway :shy:)

Last edited:

1. What does "d" represent in this context?

"d" represents the variable for the unknown value that we are trying to find.

2. How do you find all possible values of d?

To find all possible values of d, you need to first identify the equation or problem that involves the variable d. Then, you can use mathematical techniques such as substitution, elimination, or graphing to solve for d and determine all possible values.

3. Can there be more than one possible value for d?

Yes, there can be multiple possible values for d depending on the equation or problem. Some equations may have infinite solutions for d, while others may have a finite number of solutions.

4. Are there any restrictions or limitations when finding all possible values of d?

Yes, there may be certain restrictions or limitations depending on the context of the problem. For example, some equations may only have real number solutions, while others may have both real and imaginary solutions.

5. How can I check if my solution for d is correct?

You can check your solution by plugging it back into the original equation or problem and seeing if it satisfies the given conditions. You can also use a graphing calculator or other mathematical tools to verify your solution.