Find center of mass of solid uniform density

In summary, the problem is finding the center of mass of a solid of uniform density bounded by a wedge shape and a vertical cylinder, with the equation z=cy as one of the boundaries. The equations for Mx, My, and x-bar, y-bar have been set up, but the limits of integration are not clear and it is not certain if the figure is three-dimensional.
haxtor21

Homework Statement

Find the center of mass of the solid of uniform density bounded by the graphs of the equations: Wedge: x^2+y^2=a^2. z=cy(c>0), y>=0, z>=0

Homework Equations

Mx=int(y*p(x,y) dA)
dA=area of integration, dydx/dxdy

The Attempt at a Solution

I set up all the equations for Mx, My and x-bar, y-bar but I can't seem to realize what the limits of integration are. I can't see how the z=cy comes into play at all. Does it imply its a 3 dimensional figure or what?

Physics news on Phys.org
hi haxtor21! :smile:

(have an integral: ∫ and try using the X2 and X2 icons just above the Reply box :wink:)
haxtor21 said:
… I can't see how the z=cy comes into play at all. Does it imply its a 3 dimensional figure or what?

it's a vertical cylinder (x2 + y2 = a2), sliced by a plane through the x-axis and sloping at 45° :smile:

1. What is the definition of center of mass?

The center of mass of an object is the point at which the entire mass of the object can be considered to be concentrated, and where the object would balance if suspended at that point.

2. How is the center of mass calculated for a solid object with uniform density?

The center of mass for a solid object with uniform density can be calculated by finding the average position of all the individual particles that make up the object. This can be done by taking the weighted average of the x, y, and z coordinates of each particle, where the weight is the mass of the particle.

3. Why is finding the center of mass important in physics?

Finding the center of mass is important in physics because it allows us to understand the overall motion and behavior of an object. It is also a crucial factor in determining the stability of an object and how it will respond to external forces.

4. Can the center of mass be located outside of the physical boundaries of the object?

Yes, the center of mass can be located outside of the physical boundaries of an object if the object has an irregular shape or varying density. In these cases, the center of mass may be located in empty space or even outside of the object itself.

5. How does the distribution of mass affect the location of the center of mass?

The distribution of mass directly affects the location of the center of mass. Objects with more mass located towards one side will have a center of mass closer to that side. Similarly, objects with more evenly distributed mass will have a center of mass closer to the geometric center of the object.