shandsy said:
Hold the Pasco cart so that it is not allowed to move and gradually incline the track to the minimum angle that allows the passenger mass to slowly slide down the Pasco cart at a constant speed."
As said previously, we calculated the angle to be 19.29°.
?? surely you
measured this angle? (How: ratio of two lengths and an inverse trig? arctan(y/x) perhaps?)
If I'm to assume that acceleration is constant in this set up, I still get .35 for μ
So do I :)
so I still think there's something I'm missing. I know that .93 has to be the real value for μ because it works out with the rest of the lab.
Do you mean that using the value of 0.93 gets you the right answers in the rest of the exercizes in the lab book or that the other students in the lab doing the same experiment all get 0.93 out?
Because if they do, and that is how I'm reading what you are telling me, then they are not doing the same lab as you just described.
I wasn't there when my lab group came up with .93 and I have no way of contacting them at the moment, so I don't know how they came to that value. All I know is that we had the same values for everything else...
There is something else going on ...
The relation is simple: [itex]\mu=\tan(\theta)[/itex]
(You realize that if the angle was measured by arctan(y/x) then y/x was actually the value you needed?)
Thus: [itex]0.93=\tan(42.93^\circ)[/itex] ... a 23.63° difference.
(Maybe look through the raw data for a systematic error in how the angle was obtained?)
You have a choice: fudge the results for θ=42.93, so you can use the high μ value, or trust the results you have recorded (and hope everyone else did the fudge) and use
your value for μ.