Find coefficient of kinetic friction using energy conservation

In summary, the conversation discusses an object sliding a horizontal distance and coming to rest, and the task is to find the coefficient of kinetic friction on the surface. The equation of conservation of energy is used and a mistake in calculation is pointed out. The correct equation for kinetic energy is recalculated and the difference between static and kinetic friction is clarified. The final answer is given as 0.392, which differs from the previously calculated 0.0816.
offbeatjumi

Homework Statement

An object of mass 0.2 kg with initial velocity 4.8 m/s slides a horizontal distance of 3.0 m before coming to rest (final velocity is 0 m/s). What is the coefficient of kinetic friction on the surface?

Homework Equations

K + U - W(other) = 0 ...conservation of energy

The Attempt at a Solution

I have delta-K = 0 - (1/2)(0.2)(4.8)^2 = -0.48 J
delta-U is zero since there is no change in y
W(other) would be just the work done by the frictional force f(k).
f(k) <= (mu)kn...where n-mg = 0... so n = mg = 1.96 N ...f(k) <= (mu)k*1.96N

W = F*d... F = f(s)...
since U = 0 ... K - W(other) = 0... K = W(other) = -0.48 J
F*d = -0.48 J
(mu)k*1.96N*3.0m = -0.48 J

Solving for (mu)k I get (mu)k = 0.0816.

From the back of the book I know this is wrong, the given answer is 0.392.
What am I doing wrong?
Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
The first thing that jumps out at me is this:

[tex]\frac{1}{2}*0.2*4.8^2 = -0.48 J[/tex]

By my calculation, that is not true.

Try recalculating the kinetic energy - the number you got is wrong (you didn't square the velocity).

Also, when you say that the friction is less than or equal to mu_k*N - it's really just equal (that is, f = mu_k*N). The less-than-or-equal to part comes into play when you are considering static friction, where f<=mu_s*N (so that as long as the applied force does not exceed the maximum static friction, the object will not move and the friction force will be equal in magnitude to the applied force)

thank you so much, that was a stupid mistake.

1. What is the formula for calculating the coefficient of kinetic friction using energy conservation?

The formula for calculating the coefficient of kinetic friction using energy conservation is μk = (mgΔh)/((1/2)mv^2), where μk is the coefficient of kinetic friction, m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, Δh is the change in height of the object, and v is the velocity of the object.

2. How does energy conservation relate to finding the coefficient of kinetic friction?

Energy conservation states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred between different forms. When an object slides down an inclined plane, its potential energy is converted into kinetic energy. By measuring the change in height, mass, and velocity of the object, we can use the formula to find the coefficient of kinetic friction.

3. Can the coefficient of kinetic friction be greater than 1?

Yes, the coefficient of kinetic friction can be greater than 1. This would indicate that the force of friction is greater than the normal force, and the object is experiencing a net force in the opposite direction of its motion.

4. What factors can affect the accuracy of finding the coefficient of kinetic friction using energy conservation?

The accuracy of the calculation can be affected by factors such as air resistance, the smoothness of the surface, and the precision of the measurements taken. It is important to minimize these factors as much as possible to obtain an accurate result.

5. Can energy conservation be used to find the coefficient of kinetic friction for any type of surface?

No, energy conservation can only be used to find the coefficient of kinetic friction for surfaces that have a constant incline or slope. It cannot be used for surfaces that have varying inclines or curves.