1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find dimension and ker of matrices ?

1. Apr 14, 2012 #1
    Find dimension and ker of matrices ??

Let V be an F-vector space and (phi:v->v) be an F-linear transformation of V . Define what
    it means for a vector v ε V to be an eigenvector of phi and what is meant by the associated
    eigenvalue.

This is the form of the question during my calculations I need to calculate:

Now I have from the eigenvalues:

dim(ker()) of a matrix:
    1 4 -3
    0 0 0
    0 0 0

and

dim(ker()) of a matrix:
    1 0 -2/7
    0 1 -5/7
    0 0 0

Then when the I add up the the dim's I will be able to tell if it is diagonalisable.

Now in this case it is obvious, the dim(ker()) of one is 1 and another is 2. But I can't tell which one is which.

What I mean is the 1st Matrix = 2 and the second Matrix = 1 or viceversa ?

In this case in either way it will add upto 3 and as the original matrix was a 3x3 matrix it is diagonalisable right ?

In essence I don't really understand what dim or ker do ...

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 14, 2012 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Re: Find dimension and ker of matrices ??

I have no clue what you are asking. The title is "Find dimension and ker of matrices" but your first question appears to be about eigenvalues. You have "dim(ker()) of a matrix:" followed by what look like row reduced matrices. What are the original matrices?

You say "Then when the I add up the the dim's I will be able to tell if it is diagonalisable." Tell if what is diagonalisable?

The dimension of the kernel of a matrix tells you whether or not 0 is an eigenvalue and the algebraic dimension but tells you nothing about any non-zero eigenvalues- and does NOT tell you if the matrix is diagonalizable. In particular a row-reduced matrix does not have the same eigenvalues or eigenvectors as the original matrix.

4. Apr 14, 2012 #3

My bad, I shouldn't have given the question in the first place as I just want to know what the resective dims kers are.

1)
    what is the dim(ker()) of:
    1 4 -3
    0 0 0
    0 0 0

2)
    and what is the dim(ker()) of:
    1 0 -2/7
    0 1 -5/7
    0 0 0

What are the answers to 1) and 2) is all I want to know, also the dims of the above matrices will also be useful.

I know that the answers are 1 and 2, but I'm not sure which one is 1 and which one is 2.

If I am coming across confused, its because I am...sorry

5. Apr 14, 2012 #4

The ranks of both matrices are obvious (just look at the columns). The nullities follow immediately with the rank-nullity theorem.

6. Apr 14, 2012 #5

So for the first one the dim(ker()) is 3-1=2
    and for the second one the dim(ker()) is 3-2=1

where 3 is # of columns and 1 and 2 are the ranks respectively ?

7. Apr 14, 2012 #6

Yes, that's correct.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook