Find dimension and ker of matrices ?

In summary, the dimension of the kernel (nullity) of a matrix is equal to the number of columns minus the rank of the matrix. In the first matrix, the dimension of the kernel is 2 and in the second matrix, the dimension of the kernel is 1. The rank of a matrix can be determined by looking at the columns and using the rank-nullity theorem.
sid9221
Find dimension and ker of matrices ??

Let V be an F-vector space and (phi:v->v) be an F-linear transformation of V . Define what
it means for a vector v ε V to be an eigenvector of phi and what is meant by the associated
eigenvalue.

This is the form of the question during my calculations I need to calculate:

Now I have from the eigenvalues:

dim(ker()) of a matrix:
1 4 -3
0 0 0
0 0 0

and

dim(ker()) of a matrix:
1 0 -2/7
0 1 -5/7
0 0 0

Then when the I add up the the dim's I will be able to tell if it is diagonalisable.

Now in this case it is obvious, the dim(ker()) of one is 1 and another is 2. But I can't tell which one is which.

What I mean is the 1st Matrix = 2 and the second Matrix = 1 or viceversa ?

In this case in either way it will add upto 3 and as the original matrix was a 3x3 matrix it is diagonalisable right ?

In essence I don't really understand what dim or ker do ...

Physics news on Phys.org

I have no clue what you are asking. The title is "Find dimension and ker of matrices" but your first question appears to be about eigenvalues. You have "dim(ker()) of a matrix:" followed by what look like row reduced matrices. What are the original matrices?

You say "Then when the I add up the the dim's I will be able to tell if it is diagonalisable." Tell if what is diagonalisable?

The dimension of the kernel of a matrix tells you whether or not 0 is an eigenvalue and the algebraic dimension but tells you nothing about any non-zero eigenvalues- and does NOT tell you if the matrix is diagonalizable. In particular a row-reduced matrix does not have the same eigenvalues or eigenvectors as the original matrix.

HallsofIvy said:
I have no clue what you are asking. The title is "Find dimension and ker of matrices" but your first question appears to be about eigenvalues. You have "dim(ker()) of a matrix:" followed by what look like row reduced matrices. What are the original matrices?

You say "Then when the I add up the the dim's I will be able to tell if it is diagonalisable." Tell if what is diagonalisable?

The dimension of the kernel of a matrix tells you whether or not 0 is an eigenvalue and the algebraic dimension but tells you nothing about any non-zero eigenvalues- and does NOT tell you if the matrix is diagonalizable. In particular a row-reduced matrix does not have the same eigenvalues or eigenvectors as the original matrix.

My bad, I shouldn't have given the question in the first place as I just want to know what the resective dims kers are.

1)
what is the dim(ker()) of:
1 4 -3
0 0 0
0 0 0

2)
and what is the dim(ker()) of:
1 0 -2/7
0 1 -5/7
0 0 0

What are the answers to 1) and 2) is all I want to know, also the dims of the above matrices will also be useful.

I know that the answers are 1 and 2, but I'm not sure which one is 1 and which one is 2.

If I am coming across confused, its because I am...sorry

The ranks of both matrices are obvious (just look at the columns). The nullities follow immediately with the rank-nullity theorem.

sachav said:
The ranks of both matrices are obvious (just look at the columns). The nullities follow immediately with the rank-nullity theorem.

So for the first one the dim(ker()) is 3-1=2
and for the second one the dim(ker()) is 3-2=1

where 3 is # of columns and 1 and 2 are the ranks respectively ?

Yes, that's correct.

Related to Find dimension and ker of matrices ?

1. What is the dimension of a matrix?

The dimension of a matrix is the number of rows and columns it has. It is typically represented as m x n, where m is the number of rows and n is the number of columns.

2. How do you find the dimension of a matrix?

To find the dimension of a matrix, simply count the number of rows and columns. Alternatively, you can also use the notation m x n to represent the dimension.

3. What is the kernel (ker) of a matrix?

The kernel (ker) of a matrix is the set of all vectors that when multiplied by the matrix result in a zero vector. In other words, it is the set of all solutions to the equation Ax = 0, where A is the given matrix.

4. How do you find the kernel (ker) of a matrix?

To find the kernel (ker) of a matrix, first set up the equation Ax = 0 and solve for x. The resulting solutions will form the basis for the kernel. Alternatively, you can use row reduction or Gaussian elimination to find the kernel.

5. Why is finding the dimension and kernel of matrices important?

Finding the dimension and kernel of matrices is important in many areas of mathematics and science, including linear algebra, differential equations, and data analysis. It allows us to better understand the properties and behavior of matrices, and to solve various mathematical problems involving matrices.