1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find Eigenvalue/Eigenvector

1. Apr 22, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

If invertible matrices A and B have eigenvalues α and β resp. wrt to a common eigenvector x, what is the eigenvalue of

4A3B-4-17AB2 + ∏I

(We'll call this equation (1))

2. Relevant equations

Ax = αx
    Bx = βx

3. The attempt at a solution

I think I'm ok for the actual eigenvalue. Basically we "exchange" α for A and β for B in the equation above, since Ax = αx implies A2x = α2x and so on and so forth. ∏I is just an identity matrix multiplied by ∏, so it's eigenvalue is ∏ (with multiplicity two).

So I get 4α24 - 17αβ2 + ∏

But I can't seem to figure out how to approach getting the corresponding Eigenvector. I know the characteristic equation

det(A - λI) = 0

may tell me something, but if I plug in (1) for A and the eigenvalue above for λ I just get a complete mess.

-Dave K

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 22, 2013 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You can't really find the eigenvector unless you have actual values for the A and B matrices. Do you?

4. Apr 22, 2013 #3

I like Serena

Homework Helper

Hi Dave!

Let's call C = 4A3B-4-17AB2 + ∏I
    Then, as you said, Cx = (4α24 - 17αβ2 + ∏)x

Let's call λ=4α24 - 17αβ2 + ∏.
    Then Cxx.

You had already found the eigenvalue λ.
    What do you think the corresponding eigenvector is? :wink:

5. Apr 23, 2013 #4
    I did try that but I'm not sure how to "solve" for x. As the other poster pointed out, I don't even know what the values of C are... I don't even know what dimension so I can't use some identity matrix and use λ (the mess) as a scalar... Not sure what I'm supposed to do.

6. Apr 23, 2013 #5

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You can't solve for x any more than you can solve for α and β. x is the eigenvector. I think you are done.

7. Apr 23, 2013 #6

I like Serena

Homework Helper

The vector x is given as the common eigenvector of A and B.
    None of them is specified other than that they are given to exist.
    C has the same common eigenvector x as A and B.

8. Apr 24, 2013 #7
    Yeah, we went over this in class, and the eigenvector is just x. Ok then. Thanks everyone.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted