Find Exact Arc Length of x=e^t + e^-t, y=5-2t, 0 ≤ x ≤ 3

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
maff is tuff
Messages
65
Reaction score
1

Homework Statement



Find the exact length of the curve x=e^t + e^-t , y=5-2t , 0≤ x≤ 3

Homework Equations



∫ √ ( (dx/dt)² + (dy/dt)² )dt

The Attempt at a Solution



My attempt at the solution is hopefully in the attachment. I could use Simpson's and get an approximate length but the directions say to find exact length. So did I mess up my algebra somewhere; I doubt it because this is one of several attempts and I keep getting stuck here. So does anyone know how to get me unstuck? Maybe a trick to make it more integrable? Sorry if I'm missing an obvious step that I can take, but as of now I don't see it. Thanks in advance for the help.
 
Attachments
Physics news on Phys.org
These problems are often contrived so that you should be able to manipulate the terms under the square root into a perfect square.

Check your expansion of [tex]\left(e^t-e^{-t}\right)^2[/tex].
 
jhae2.718 said:
Check your expansion of [tex]\left(e^t-e^{-t}\right)^2[/tex].

Yep that was it; my expansion was wrong. Thanks for the help :)