Find f(x) from 1.22, 2.25, 3.24: How to Calculate

• Thread starter burochokkotti
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the relation between a series of numbers and the function f(x). The speaker is uncertain about the exact function and asks for clarification. One possibility mentioned is the quadratic function f(x) = -0.02x2 + 1.09x + 0.15, but there are numerous other correct answers.
burochokkotti
Can anybody tell me the relation between this numbers? I mean, say there's f(x) = 1.22 at x=1, f(x)= 2.25 at x=2 and so on..I need to know f(x).

Mathematics news on Phys.org
It's hard to say without knowing more terms. If you need any function that passes through those three points you could use the quadratic f(x) = -0.02x2 + 1.09x + 0.15.

Last edited:
burochokkotti said:
Can anybody tell me the relation between this numbers? I mean, say there's f(x) = 1.22 at x=1, f(x)= 2.25 at x=2 and so on..I need to know f(x).
There are innumerably many correct answers as to what f(x) might be.

Which one do you want?

Edit:
Make your own correct answer! :smile:

1. What is the formula for calculating f(x)?

The formula for calculating f(x) is to find the slope of the line passing through the three given points (1.22, 2.25) (2.25, 2.24) and (3.24, f(x)). This can be done by using the slope formula: (y2 - y1) / (x2 - x1).

2. Can I use any other points to calculate f(x)?

Yes, as long as you have at least two points with different x-values, you can use them to calculate f(x) using the same formula: (y2 - y1) / (x2 - x1). However, using more points can provide a more accurate result.

3. What does the value of f(x) represent?

The value of f(x) represents the y-coordinate of the point on the line that corresponds to the given x-value. In other words, it is the output value of the function f at a specific input value x.

4. How do I know if my calculation for f(x) is correct?

You can check if your calculation is correct by plugging in the calculated value for f(x) into the original equation and checking if it satisfies the equation. For example, if the equation is y = 2x + 1, and your calculated f(x) is 5, then when you substitute 5 for f(x) and x = 3, you should get 5 = 2(3) + 1, which is true.

5. Is there a simpler way to find f(x) from given points?

Yes, if the given points lie on a straight line, you can use the slope-intercept form of a line (y = mx + b) to find the equation of the line and then solve for f(x) by plugging in the given x-value. However, if the points do not lie on a straight line, finding f(x) using the slope formula is the most accurate method.