Find Force Needed to Lengthen Beam w/ Length, Y Modulus, Area

In summary, the conversation discusses using the equation delta = PL/AE to determine the amount of force required to lengthen a beam by a specified amount. The force is being applied axially and the variables required are the length of the beam, Young's modulus, and the cross-sectional area. The conversation also mentions the need to convert units to ensure accuracy in the calculation.
Ry122
If I know only the length of the beam, the young's modulus, and the cross sectional area, is there an equation that I can use to determine what amount of force would be required to lengthen a beam by a specified amount? The force is being applied to the beam axially.

Engineering news on Phys.org
[tex]\delta = \frac{PL}{AE}[/tex]

[tex]
\P = \frac{deltaAE}{L}
[/tex]

Using this with
delta=.4421207mm
E=200,000MPA
A=5776mm
L=701mm
The force is 728584640N
Doesn't this seem like too much?

Check your units. Convert all of the mm to m.

That's what I did. mm have prefix 10^-3
and Mega pascals has 10^6

Related to Find Force Needed to Lengthen Beam w/ Length, Y Modulus, Area

1. What is the formula for calculating the force needed to lengthen a beam?

The formula for calculating the force needed to lengthen a beam is: Force = (Length x Young's Modulus x Area) / Original Length.

2. How do I determine the Young's Modulus of a material?

The Young's Modulus of a material can be determined through tensile testing, in which the material is subjected to a known force and the resulting strain is measured. The Young's Modulus is then calculated as the ratio of stress to strain.

3. Does the length of the beam have an impact on the force needed to lengthen it?

Yes, the length of the beam does have an impact on the force needed to lengthen it. The longer the beam, the greater the force required to lengthen it by a certain amount.

4. What is the unit of measurement for Young's Modulus?

The unit of measurement for Young's Modulus is usually expressed in Pascals (Pa) or Megapascals (MPa), which is a unit of pressure or stress.

5. Can the force needed to lengthen a beam be reduced?

Yes, the force needed to lengthen a beam can be reduced by increasing the cross-sectional area of the beam or by using a material with a higher Young's Modulus. Additionally, using supports or braces can also help distribute the force and reduce the amount needed to lengthen the beam.