Find Fourier transform and plot spectrum by hand & MATLAB

In summary, the given function is ##y(t) = 2tri(\frac{t}{2})-tri(t)## and the Fourier transform of this is ##\mathrm{sinc}^2(2f)-\mathrm{sinc}^2(f)##.
Captain1024

Homework Statement

JSm3Tqt.png

Link: http://i.imgur.com/JSm3Tqt.png

Homework Equations

##\omega=2\pi t##
Fourier: ## Y(f)=\int ^{\infty}_{-\infty}y(t)\mathrm{exp}(-j\omega t)dt##
Linearity Property: ##ay_1(t)+by_2(t)=aY_1(f)+bY_2(f)##, where a and b are constants
Scaling Property: ##y(at)=\frac{1}{|a|}G(\frac{f}{a})##, where a is constant

The Attempt at a Solution

From the hint, I think I need to find the Fourier transform of the function for each region:
##(-2\leq t\leq -1)##: ##Y(f)=te^{-j\omega t}+\frac{j}{\omega}(e^{j\omega}-e^{j2\omega})##
##(-1\leq t\leq 1)##: ##Y(f)=\frac{j}{\omega}(e^{-j\omega}-e^{j\omega})##
##(1\leq t\leq 2)##: ##Y(f)=-te^{-j\omega t}+\frac{3j}{\omega}(e^{-j2\omega}-e^{-j\omega})##
Please let me know if you want to see my work.

Why do I need to use the scaling property and how do I use it?

Physics news on Phys.org
First of all, Fourier transform is an integral from (-infinity) to (+infinity) and because you function is defined in that way and it is zero in "most" of real line, the Fourier transform will be the sum of 3 different integrals (one integral from -2 to -1, one from -1 to +1, and one from +1 to +2, the integral from -infinity to -2 is zero, and zero is also the integral from +2 to +infinity). So , even when our function is defined in a segmented way, the Fourier transform is not segmented (we won't have 3 different Fourier transforms as you wrote, it is one transform (integral) that is the sum of 3 smaller integrals as I said above), so it doesn't mean that we find the Fourier transform in each segment, rather we work on the whole Fourier transform and break up the big integral as necessary.

Second the hint says to use the triangular function as basis. How is the triangular function being defined in your textbook?

Delta² said:
How is the triangular function being defined in your textbook?

The book I am using is "Introduction to Analog & Digital Communications" by Simon Haykin & Michael Moher, 2nd ed. They define the Fourier transform of a triangular pulse as ##AT^2\mathrm{sinc}^2(fT)##. That is all I could find in the book. However, I found the following definition of the unit triangle function online: ##\mathrm{tri}(t) = \begin{cases}1-|t| & |t| <1\\0 & |t|\geq 1\end{cases}##.

Ok i believe it is ##y(t)=2tri(\frac{t}{2})-tri(t)##. Can you verify this? If it is indeed true then all you have to use is linear and scaling properties of Fourier transform, to get the Fourier transform of y(t), knowing the transform of tri(t).

Last edited:
Delta² said:
Ok i believe it is ##y(t)=2tri(\frac{t}{2})-tri(t)##. Can you verify this?

Well, ##y(t)=2\mathrm{tri}(\frac{t}{2})-\mathrm{tri}(t)## is equivalent to a constant +1. So, that matches the given function over the region ##-1\leq t\leq 1## only.

To be honest, I'm stuck. I have not found a transform that agrees with the given function.

Is the following correct for defining y(t) in terms of the triangular function? ##y(t) = \begin{cases}2(\mathrm{tri}(\frac{t}{2})) & -2\leq t\leq -1\\2(\mathrm{tri}(\frac{t}{2}))-\mathrm{tri}(t) & -1\leq t\leq 1\\2(\mathrm{tri}(\frac{t}{2})) & 1\leq t\leq 2\end{cases}##

Captain1024 said:
Well, ##y(t)=2\mathrm{tri}(\frac{t}{2})-\mathrm{tri}(t)## is equivalent to a constant +1. So, that matches the given function over the region ##-1\leq t\leq 1## only.
it is +1 in [-1,1]. But look what happens for example in [-2,-1]

##-2\leq t \leq-1\implies tri(t)=0 , -1\leq \frac{t}{2}\leq\frac{-1}{2} \implies tri(t)=0 , tri(\frac{t}{2})=1-\frac{|t|}{2}\implies 2tri(\frac{t}{2})-tri(t)=2+t-0##
I believe if u take the other cases (-infinity,-2],[1,2],[2,+infinity] you ll get the desired result.
To see it more clearly make the graph for ##2tri(t/2)## and on the same graph also draw ##tri(t)##.

Captain1024 said:
Is the following correct for defining y(t) in terms of the triangular function? ##y(t) = \begin{cases}2(\mathrm{tri}(\frac{t}{2})) & -2\leq t\leq -1\\2(\mathrm{tri}(\frac{t}{2}))-\mathrm{tri}(t) & -1\leq t\leq 1\\2(\mathrm{tri}(\frac{t}{2})) & 1\leq t\leq 2\end{cases}##
this is correct, but then again no need to take cases because tri(t)=0 outside [-1,1].

Delta² said:
tri(t)=0 outside [-1,1].
I think I realize my mistake. When defined in terms of the triangular function, the given function is indeed ##y(t)=2tri(\frac{t}{2})-tri(t)##.
FT of ##\mathrm{tri}(t)##: ##\mathrm{sinc}^2(f)##
FT of ##\mathrm{tri}(\frac{t}{2})##: ##\mathrm{sinc}^2(2f)##
Therefore FT of y(t): ##2\mathrm{sinc}^2(2f)-\mathrm{sinc}^2(f)##
Which produces the following graph:
7iJhEdi.jpg

Link: http://i.imgur.com/7iJhEdi.jpg
Is this right? I'm concerned that the graph has values below the x-axis. Should the graph of the transform match the graph of the given function?

There is absolutely no problem with Y(f) being negative or complex, the energy at frequency f is proportional to ##|Y(f)|^2##.

Related to Find Fourier transform and plot spectrum by hand & MATLAB

1. What is a Fourier transform?

A Fourier transform is a mathematical technique used to decompose a signal into its individual frequency components. It converts a signal from the time or spatial domain to the frequency domain, allowing for analysis of the frequency components present in the signal.

2. How do you find a Fourier transform by hand?

To find a Fourier transform by hand, you need to follow a series of steps including defining the signal, calculating the Fourier series coefficients, and then using the coefficients to plot the spectrum. This process involves a lot of complex mathematical calculations and is typically done using computer software like MATLAB.

3. What is the purpose of plotting the spectrum in a Fourier transform?

The spectrum plot in a Fourier transform allows for visualizing the frequency components present in a signal. It helps in identifying the dominant frequencies and their relative strengths, which can give insight into the characteristics of the signal.

4. Can a Fourier transform be done using MATLAB?

Yes, MATLAB has built-in functions for finding and plotting Fourier transforms. The "fft" function can be used to find the discrete Fourier transform (DFT) of a signal, and the "plot" function can be used to plot the resulting spectrum.

5. Are there any limitations to using a Fourier transform?

While Fourier transforms are a powerful tool for analyzing signals, they do have some limitations. One limitation is that the signal must be stationary, meaning its properties do not change over time. Additionally, the signal must be continuous and have a finite energy for the Fourier transform to accurately represent it.