1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find gradient at a point and the directional derivative Multivariable calculus

1. Oct 22, 2012 #1
    Calculate gradient of f
    f(x,y)=x^3+2y^3
    at point P (1,1)
    and the directional derivative at P
    in the direction u of the given vector A -> i-j

I tried to attempt this but i honestly don't know where to start. I began to take the partial derivatives of f. I got f'=3x^2dx+6y^2dy, however that answer doesn't seem correct to me.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 22, 2012 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What you have calculated is the total differential of f(x,y), which includes both partials ##f_x## and ##f_y##. What is the formula for the directional derivative? Show us what happens when you try to calculate it.

4. Oct 24, 2012 #3
    it is the dot product of the gradient at P with a unit vector in the given direction

5. Oct 24, 2012 #4

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You ignored the part I highlighted in red.

6. Oct 24, 2012 #5
    try to calculate what?don't you need to calculate the directional derivative?

7. Oct 24, 2012 #6

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes. You posted a question because you were apparently stuck on the problem. You have now stated that you need to take the gradient at P dotted into a unit vector. So please do it and show us what exactly you are stuck on.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook