Find Height of Particle on a Hoop

• Thread starter Arman777
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Particle
In summary: At the top of the hoop, the particle has a normal force of ##mg##. So the height it falls is ##-mgR\dot{\theta}^2 + mg\sin{\theta} = -\frac{g}{R}\cos{\theta}##.
Arman777
Insights Author
Gold Member
Homework Statement
Particle on a hoop - Finding the height that particle falls
Relevant Equations
Lagrangian
W65wE.png

There is a particle with mass $m$ sliding from the hoop with radius R. Its asked to find the height of the hoop which the particles falls. Now I did the hard part (I guess) and find the Lagrangian of the system. Which is given as

$$-mR\dot{\theta}^2 + mg\sin\theta = \lambda$$
and
$$\ddot{\theta} = -\frac{g}{R}\cos\theta$$

but I cannot find the height which it falls. I have thought that when it falls from the hoop the constrain force will be ##0## (i.e, ##\lambda = 0##). But nothing seems to be working. Any ideas ?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Arman777 said:
I have seen a solution in this page
https://math.stackexchange.com/questions/1347302/particle-on-a-hemisphere-lagrange

But the solution does not make sense to me. Especially this part

\begin{equation}
\lambda=2mR\frac{g}{R}\cos\theta + mg\cos\theta = mg(3\cos\theta-2)
\end{equation}

This is clearly equal to ##3mg\cos\theta## so I don't know where that ##-2## is coming from.

Important Note: The definition of theta is different in my question and the answer given above.
The solution at stackexchange has an error. The integration constant, ##c##, in the solution is not zero. Instead, ##c = 2g/R##. This is noted in a footnote at the end of the solution. This correction accounts for the -2 in the answer for ##\lambda##.

Likes BvU
TSny said:
The solution at stackexchange has an error. The integration constant, ##c##, in the solution is not zero. Instead, ##c = 2g/R##. This is noted in a footnote at the end of the solution. This correction accounts for the -2 in the answer for ##\lambda##.
So how can I solve the problem.

Arman777 said:
So how can I solve the problem.
Which parts of the solution at stackexchange are you having difficulty with?

Does the particle have a radius, or is it a point? I guess if it were point-like you wouldn't really care to use the Lagrangian formulation, so I'll just assume you're dealing with a rolling disc of radius, say, ##r##.

Use generalised coordinates ##\mathbf{q} = (\rho, \varphi, \xi)##, where ##\rho## & ##\varphi## are the plane polar coordinates of the centre of the disc and ##\xi## the angle by which the disc has turned about its centre. Introduce the holonomic constraint ##f(\mathbf{q}) = \rho - (R + r) = 0## and the non-holonomic constraint ##g(\dot{\mathbf{q}}) = (R+r)\dot{\varphi} - r\dot{\xi} = 0##. Now, write the Lagrangian$$\mathcal{L}(\mathbf{q}, \dot{\mathbf{q}}) = \frac{1}{2}m (\dot{\rho}^2 + \rho^2 \dot{\varphi}^2) + \frac{1}{2} I \dot{\xi}^2 - mg\rho \cos{\varphi}$$Lagrange's equations read$$\begin{align*}

\frac{d}{dt} \left( \frac{\partial \mathcal{L}}{\partial \dot{\rho}} \right) - \frac{\partial \mathcal{L}}{\partial \rho} - a \frac{\partial f}{\partial \rho} - b \frac{\partial f}{\partial \dot{\rho}} &= 0 \implies m\ddot{\rho} - m \rho \dot{\varphi}^2 + mg\cos{\varphi} - a = 0 \\ \\

\frac{d}{dt} \left( \frac{\partial \mathcal{L}}{\partial \dot{\varphi}} \right) - \frac{\partial \mathcal{L}}{\partial \varphi} - a \frac{\partial f}{\partial \varphi} - b \frac{\partial f}{\partial \dot{\varphi}} &= 0 \implies m\rho^2 \ddot{\varphi} + 2m \rho \dot{\rho} \dot{\varphi} - mg\rho \sin{\varphi}-b(R+r) = 0 \\ \\

\frac{d}{dt} \left( \frac{\partial \mathcal{L}}{\partial \dot{\xi}} \right) - \frac{\partial \mathcal{L}}{\partial \xi} - a \frac{\partial f}{\partial \xi} - b \frac{\partial f}{\partial \dot{\xi}} &= 0 \implies I \ddot{\xi} + br = 0
\end{align*}$$Can you see how to eliminate ##b## and solve for the parameter ##a##?

Last edited by a moderator:
TSny said:
Which parts of the solution at stackexchange are you having difficulty with?
I am just looking for my own solution.
Arman777 said:
Homework Statement:: Particle on a hoop - Finding the height that particle falls
Relevant Equations:: Lagrangian

but I cannot find the height which it falls.
etotheipi said:
Does the particle have a radius, or is it a point?
Its a point particle

Arman777 said:
Its a point particle

In that case I guess you can just take ##r = I = b= 0##, ignore the third Lagrange equation and also ignore the second constraint.

etotheipi said:
In that case I guess you can just take ##r = I = 0## ignore the third Lagrange equation, and also ignore the second constraint.
I have already written the lagrangian. I just need to find the height it falls. How can I find it from the given equations that I have already written.

Okay, you have written ##-mR\dot{\theta}^2 + mg\sin{\theta} =\lambda## and ##\ddot{\theta} = -g/R \cos{\theta}##. You should differentiate the first equation with respect to time,$$-2mR \dot{\theta} \ddot{\theta} + mg \dot{\theta}\cos{\theta} = \frac{d\lambda}{d\theta} \dot{\theta}$$Now cancel the ##\dot{\theta}##'s and replace the ##\ddot{\theta}##,$$2mg\cos{\theta} + mg\cos{\theta} = 3mg\cos{\theta} = \frac{d\lambda}{d\theta}$$Solve with initial condition ##\lambda(\pi/2) = mg##, corresponding to the normal force at top of the hill.

Last edited by a moderator:
Arman777 said:
I have already written the lagrangian. I just need to find the height it falls. How can I find it from the given equations that I have already written.
@Arman777 -- You have been getting excellent help in this thread so far, but you continue to show no work or effort.

This thread is locked for Moderation. Please send me a PM with your work so far so we can reopen the thread. Thank you.

Likes etotheipi
OP says he has solved the problem and thanks you all for the hints and tips. thread will remain closed.

1. How does the height of a particle on a hoop change over time?

The height of a particle on a hoop changes over time due to the rotational motion of the hoop. As the hoop spins, the particle will move up and down, creating a cyclical pattern.

2. What factors affect the height of a particle on a hoop?

The height of a particle on a hoop is affected by the radius of the hoop, the speed of rotation, and the initial position of the particle on the hoop.

3. Can the height of a particle on a hoop be calculated mathematically?

Yes, the height of a particle on a hoop can be calculated using the formula h = r + r*cos(θ), where h is the height, r is the radius of the hoop, and θ is the angle of rotation.

4. How does the mass of the particle affect its height on a hoop?

The mass of the particle does not directly affect its height on a hoop. However, the mass of the particle can affect the speed of rotation of the hoop, which can then impact the height of the particle.

5. Is the height of a particle on a hoop affected by the force of gravity?

Yes, the height of a particle on a hoop is affected by the force of gravity. As the particle moves up and down on the hoop, it is subject to the force of gravity, which can impact its height and speed of rotation.