Find indefinite integral function, if definite integral value is know

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of finding the indefinite integral G(x) given a known definite integral S between known values a and b. However, it is not always possible to express G(x) in terms of primitive functions. Certain functions, such as the normal probability distribution, can only be described using special functions like the error function. Without additional conditions or restrictions, it may not be possible to determine f(x) uniquely.
jam_27
Is this possible..

Say, ab f(x)dx = G(x)|x=b - G(x)|x=a = S, where S, a and b are known. Can we find G(x) ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Not always. There are many cases where f(x) is known quite well, but the indefinite integral G(x) cannot be expressed using primitive functions or combinations of primitive functions. The definite integrals of such functions can nevertheless be computed to high-precision. A commonly encountered example of such a function describes the normal probability distribution:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Normal_distribution

The cdf for the normal probability distribution is given in terms of a special function called the error function, or erf (x) for short. erf (x) cannot be expressed in terms of logs, exponentials, etc., but tables of its values can be computed and used. There are many other examples of such functions, like elliptic functions or Bessel functions, etc.

Ok, then, how much can we proceed to? I mean can we write G (x) in terms of S, a and b plus some unknown?
Also, b=1 and a= 0 and S is a constant in my case.

jam_27 said:
Ok, then, how much can we proceed to? I mean can we write G (x) in terms of S, a and b plus some unknown?
Also, b=1 and a= 0 and S is a constant in my case.

All you know for certain is that G(1) - G(0) = S. There may be many different functions f(x) the definite integral of which between x = b and x = a will give the same result. Unless you have some further conditions or restrictions, I don't think you can determine f(x) uniquely.

1. What is an indefinite integral function?

An indefinite integral function is a mathematical function that represents the antiderivative of a given function. It is used to calculate the original function from its derivative.

2. How is an indefinite integral function different from a definite integral function?

A definite integral function has specific limits of integration, while an indefinite integral function does not. This means that a definite integral function will give a numerical value, while an indefinite integral function will give a general equation.

3. Can an indefinite integral function be found if the definite integral value is known?

Yes, an indefinite integral function can be found if the definite integral value is known. This is because the definite integral value is equal to the difference between the indefinite integral function at the upper and lower limits of integration.

4. Are there any methods for finding an indefinite integral function?

Yes, there are several methods for finding an indefinite integral function, such as substitution, integration by parts, and partial fractions. The appropriate method to use depends on the complexity of the given function.

5. What is the importance of finding an indefinite integral function?

Finding an indefinite integral function is important in many areas of science and engineering, as it allows for the calculation of important quantities such as displacement, velocity, and acceleration. It is also used in solving differential equations and in determining the area under a curve.