Find Lambda Baryon Decays Cross Section Ratio

In summary, the problem is that the Clebsch-Gordon coefficients for the two decays are not the same, and this affects the ratio between the cross sections.
Xylios
I've been asked to find the ratio between the cross sections of the two folowing decais:
lamdec.gif

Using the CKM matrix and the feynman diagrams for both decays, I reach the conclusion that the Ratio is exactly 1. However, consulting this document,

http://pdg.lbl.gov/2012/tables/rpp2012-tab-baryons-Lambda.pdf

We clearly see it is not. I do not understand where the problem lies.

My reasoning is the following:
- The decays are exactly the same, except for the final arrangement of the quarks
- Since the vertices are the same, the probability of each interaction is the same in both cases.
- Since the probabilities are the same, the interaction rates are the same.
- Since the mass of the products is roughly equal in both cases, the density of final states is the same
- The cross section is the same.

Physics news on Phys.org
Two words: Clebsch-Gordon

Vanadium 50 said:
Are you talking about the fact that the neutral pion is in fact a superposition of two mesons? I thought about that, but I do not understand how I can insert that into Fermi's golden rule and obtain the experimental result.

Ok, after searching for a couple hours I think I found it:

We have a final state with I=1/2 and I3=-1/2. This state is a linear combination of |n, pi0)=|1/2,-1/2)x|1,0) and |p, pi-)=|1/2,1/2)x|1,-1). Therefore, to find the ratio between branches we just need to find a ratio between the coefficients of the linear combination which are the Clebsch-Gordan coefficients.

Is that it?

Vanadium 50 said:
Clebsch-Gordan

Likes Vanadium 50
Got me on that one!

Xylios said:
Is that it?
Yes, provided you know what all that has to do with the weak decay. Once you “choose” the final state, [itex]|N \pi \rangle[/itex], to be [itex]|1/2 , -1/2\rangle[/itex], you are done: The Clebsch-Gordan expansion gives you
[tex]| p \pi^{-} \rangle = \sqrt{1/3} \ | \frac{3}{2} , - \frac{1}{2} \rangle - \sqrt{2/3} \ |\frac{1}{2} , - \frac{1}{2} \rangle ,[/tex]
[tex]|n \pi^{0} \rangle = \sqrt{2/3} \ | \frac{3}{2} , - \frac{1}{2} \rangle + \sqrt{1/3} \ |\frac{1}{2} , - \frac{1}{2} \rangle .[/tex]
Solving these for “the final state”, you get
[tex]|\frac{1}{2} , -\frac{1}{2} \rangle = -\sqrt{2/3} \ |p \pi^{-} \rangle + \sqrt{1/3} \ |n \pi^{0} \rangle .[/tex]
From this you obtain the result
[tex]\frac{\sigma \left( \Lambda \to p\pi^{-}\right)}{\sigma \left( \Lambda \to n\pi^{0}\right)} = \frac{(-\sqrt{2/3})^{2}}{(\sqrt{1/3})^{2}} = 2 ,[/tex] which agrees with the experimental data very well.
Okay, now here are my questions to you:
1) In the final state [itex]|N\pi \rangle[/itex], the nucleon has [itex]I_{N}=\vec{1/2}[/itex] and the pion has [itex]I_{\pi} = \vec{1}[/itex]. Therefore, the final state must have [itex]I_{N\pi} = \vec{3/2}[/itex] or [itex]\vec{1/2}[/itex]. So, what made you “choose” [itex]|\frac{1}{2} , -\frac{1}{2} \rangle[/itex] to be the final state? What is wrong with the state [itex]|\frac{3}{2} , -\frac{1}{2} \rangle[/itex]?
2) Closely related to (1) is the question about the initial state [itex]|\Lambda \rangle[/itex], which we know it is an iso-singlet [itex]|0 , 0\rangle[/itex]: In order to find [itex]\sigma (\Lambda \to N\pi)[/itex], we need to evaluate the matrix elements [tex]T(\Lambda \to N\pi) = \langle N \pi | \mathcal{H}^{|\Delta S| = 1}| \Lambda \rangle ,[/tex] where [itex]\mathcal{H}^{|\Delta S| = 1}[/itex] is the low energy (non-leptonic) weak Hamiltonian. So, where is the initial state in the above mentioned analysis? Why was there no mention of the initial state [itex]|\Lambda \rangle[/itex]?
If you know the answers to those questions, you are okay. Otherwise, you will have to ask better questions.

Likes vanhees71

1. What is a Lambda Baryon and why is its decay cross section ratio important?

A Lambda Baryon is a subatomic particle composed of three quarks that is part of the family of baryons. The decay cross section ratio refers to the measurement of the rate at which a Lambda Baryon decays into other particles. This is important because it provides valuable information about the fundamental forces and interactions that govern the behavior of particles in the universe.

2. How is the cross section ratio of Lambda Baryon decays measured?

The cross section ratio of Lambda Baryon decays is measured through experiments using high-energy particle colliders. By colliding particles at high speeds, scientists can observe the resulting decay products and calculate the decay cross section ratio.

3. What factors can affect the cross section ratio of Lambda Baryon decays?

The cross section ratio of Lambda Baryon decays can be influenced by various factors, such as the energy of the colliding particles, the type of particles involved, and the angle and momentum of the decay products. Other environmental factors, such as temperature and pressure, may also play a role.

4. How does the cross section ratio of Lambda Baryon decays contribute to our understanding of the Standard Model of particle physics?

The cross section ratio of Lambda Baryon decays is an important part of the Standard Model of particle physics. By studying this ratio, scientists can test and verify the predictions of the Standard Model, as well as identify any discrepancies that may lead to new discoveries or theories.

5. What are the current findings and research developments related to the cross section ratio of Lambda Baryon decays?

Currently, there is ongoing research on the cross section ratio of Lambda Baryon decays at various particle colliders, including the Large Hadron Collider (LHC). Scientists are also using advanced techniques and technologies to improve the accuracy of these measurements and gain a deeper understanding of the fundamental forces and interactions involved.