Find lim (-1)^[x] x->2 [x] is the greatest integer function

In summary, [x] represents the greatest integer function and -> means tends to. By plotting the graph, it can be seen that the limit of (-1)^[x] as x approaches 2 from below is -1. However, as x approaches 2 from above, the limit does not exist since there are different answers for the positive and negative limit. It is possible that the original poster has not responded after a week and someone else has given away the answer.
lizzie
find
lim (-1)^[x]
x->2

[x] is the greatest integer function
-> means tends to

thanks to any help.

Mathematics news on Phys.org

Start by plotting it. Then see if you can already find the limit from the graph. Only the final step is to try and prove it rigorously.

lizzie said:
find
lim (-1)^[x]
x->2

-> means tends to

thanks to any help.

Looks straight forward to me. For all x larger than 1 but less than 2, [x]= 1 so the limit, as x approaches 2 from below is (-1)1= -1.

For x larger than 2 but less than 3, [x]= 2. So what is the limit as x approaches 2 from the above? And what does that tell you about the limit itself?

lizzie said:
find
lim (-1)^[x]
x->2

-> means tends to

thanks to any help.

Looks to me that the limit does not exist.
There are different answers for the +ve and -ve limit.

Are aniketp and lizzie the same person? Or did you decide to just give away the answer after a week without reply from the OP?

After a week, I would suspect that the OP just can't be bothered to look at the responses and see nothing wrong with posting the answer- in case someone else is interested.

I agree, I just found it odd that someone who apparently has nothing to do with the thread posted this a week after the last message. I suppose on my list it would have dropped to page 40 or something by then :smile:

What is the limit of (-1)^[x] as x approaches 2?

The limit of (-1)^[x] as x approaches 2 does not exist. This is because the greatest integer function is not continuous at x = 2 and therefore the limit does not exist.

Why does the greatest integer function cause the limit to not exist?

The greatest integer function, also known as the floor function, rounds any number down to the nearest integer. This means that as x approaches 2 from the left side, the function will output -2 and as x approaches 2 from the right side, the function will output -1. Since the left and right limits do not equal each other, the overall limit does not exist.

Is the limit of (-1)^[x] the same as the limit of (-1)^x?

No, the limit of (-1)^[x] and the limit of (-1)^x are not the same. The limit of (-1)^x as x approaches 2 does exist and is equal to -1. This is because the exponential function is continuous at x = 2.

Can the greatest integer function be applied to any number?

Yes, the greatest integer function can be applied to any number. It will always round the number down to the nearest integer.

What is the graph of the greatest integer function?

The graph of the greatest integer function consists of a series of horizontal lines, with the value of the function changing only at integer values of x. The line y = -1 represents the function at x = 2, with a discontinuity at this point. The rest of the graph is filled with lines representing the output of the function for all other values of x.