Find Limits of Converging and Diverging Series for Homework Solutions

In summary, the series (a) converges to 9/2, (b) diverges, and (c) converges to 0. The limit comparison test and the squeeze theorem were used to determine the convergence of the series. The ratio test was used to find the limit of the series in (a), but it only determines if the series converges or diverges and not the actual limit value.
DryRun
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Determine if the following series converges or diverges and find the limits for those series that converge.
[tex](a)\;\sum^{\infty}_{n=0}\frac{1}{3^{n-1}}[/tex]
[tex](b)\;\sum^{\infty}_{n=0}\frac{4n^2+n}{(n^7-n^3)^{1/3}}[/tex]
[tex](c)\;\sum^{\infty}_{n=0}\frac{\sin^2n}{2^n}[/tex]

Homework Equations

The nth-term test, ratio test, comparison test, geometric series, etc.

The Attempt at a Solution

For part (a): I used the ratio test and got the answer: 1/3 as the limit of the convergent series. However, the answer is supposed to be: 3/2?

For part (b): I used the comparison test. For n large, i used the following approximation:
[tex]v_n=\sum^{\infty}_{n=0}\frac{4n^2}{(n^7)^{1/3}}
\\L=\lim_{n\to \infty}\frac{u_n}{v_n}=0\times {\infty}=0[/tex]
Since ##L = 0## and ##v_n## converges according to the p-series test, therefore the original series converges and the limit of the series is zero.
Apparently, it's wrong, as the series is supposed to be divergent.

For part (c): I'm thinking about the squeeze theorem to find if the limit is not zero.
[tex]0 \le \sin^2n\le 1
\\\frac{0}{2^n} \le \frac{\sin^2n}{2^n}\le \frac{1}{2^n}[/tex]I'm stuck.

Edit: OK, i think i figured out part (b): The approximation was wrong. I then used 4/n and got a divergent series.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
For (a)

$$
\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{1}{3^{n-1}} = 3\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\left(\frac{1}{3}\right)^n
$$

The answer should be 9/2 not 3/2

Last edited:
Dustinsfl said:
For (a)

$$
\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{1}{3^{n-1}} = 3\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\left(\frac{1}{3}\right)^n
$$
So, it's a geometric series, with a = 3 and r = 1/3. The limit of the series becomes: 9/2?

But using the ratio test, i get the limit as 1/3? Or does the ratio test only say if the series is convergent or divergent? But, additionally, does it also give the limit of the series, as the value of L? If not, then in the limit comparison test, the value of L is also not the limit of the series??

The rule is if L = 1 inconclusive, L < 1 converges, and L > 1 diverges.

Dustinsfl said:
The rule is if L = 1 inconclusive, L < 1 converges, and L > 1 diverges.
I know the value of L is used to determine if the series converges or not, but is that value of L also the limit of the original series?

L only tells you those 3 things. It doesn't tell you what the value is.

Dustinsfl said:
L only tells you those 3 things. It doesn't tell you what the value is.

OK thanks, i was trying to get confirmation on this. I have a bunch of problems which might be wrong because of this wrong assumption. :redface:

Any idea about part (c)?

Edit: Converting [itex]\sin^2n=1/2 - \cos 2n /2[/itex]
Then, [tex]\sum^{\infty}_{n=0}\frac{\sin^2n}{2^n}= \sum^{\infty}_{n=0} \frac{1}{2^{n-1}} - \sum^{\infty}_{n=0}\frac{\cos 2n}{2^{n-1}} [/tex]
But I'm not sure if this actually simplifies the problem.

Edit #2: OK, I'm trying to find another simpler way. How about factorizing [itex]2^n[/itex] out of the numerator and denominator? The limit gives 0 which isn't helpful.

Last edited:
sharks said:
For part (c): I'm thinking about the squeeze theorem to find if the limit is not zero.
[tex]0 \le \sin^2n\le 1
\\\frac{0}{2^n} \le \frac{\sin^2n}{2^n}\le \frac{1}{2^n}[/tex]I'm stuck.

If you had to find the sum Ʃ 1/2n, that's a geometric series (similar to the one in a) that converges, so the limit of 1/2n as n→∞ is 0. Now sin2n/2n is squeezed to 0 :smile:

Bohrok said:
The left side of the inequality will always be 0; now what's the limit of 1/2n as n→∞?

Zero. But the middle term of the inequality can't vary from 0 to 0. It doesn't make sense, unless the middle term itself is 0?

Bohrok said:
If you had to find the sum Ʃ 1/2n, that's a geometric series (similar to the one in a) that converges, so the limit of 1/2n as n→∞ is 0. Now sin2n/2n is squeezed to 0 :smile:

I'm not sure, as the limit of sin2n/2n = 0, doesn't say anything about the series converging or diverging, nor anything about the limit of the series.

Here is another try on this problem: as n approaches infinity, [itex]0 \le \sin^2n\le 1 [/itex] becomes [itex]sin^2n =1/2[/itex], which is the average value.

Then, using the comparison test: [tex]u_n=\frac{\sin^2n}{2^n}
\\v_n=\frac{1/2}{2^n}= \frac{1}{2^{n-1}}
\\u_n \le v_n[/tex]##v_n## is a geometric series that converges to 1, therefore ##u_n## converges.

sharks said:
Zero. But the middle term of the inequality can't vary from 0 to 0. It doesn't make sense, unless the middle term itself is 0?

It doesn't vary from 0 to 0. sin2n/2n is squeezed above and below to 0 only as n→∞.

sharks said:
I'm not sure, as the limit of sin2n/2n = 0, doesn't say anything about the series converging or diverging, nor anything about the limit of the series.

You mean limit of the sequence, right? Someone may jump on you really hard if you don't specify whether you mean sequence or series. :wink:
Ʃ sin2n/2n converges since the sequence is less than 1/2n, whose sum converges.

sharks said:
Here is another try on this problem: as n approaches infinity, [itex]0 \le \sin^2n\le 1 [/itex] becomes [itex]sin^2n =1/2[/itex], which is the average value.

Then, using the comparison test: [tex]u_n=\frac{\sin^2n}{2^n}
\\v_n=\frac{1/2}{2^n}= \frac{1}{2^{n-1}}
\\u_n \le v_n[/tex]##v_n## is a geometric series that converges to 1, therefore ##u_n## converges.

That inequality isn't correct, plus [itex]\frac{1}{n^{n-1}} = \frac{2}{2^n}, \text{not } \frac{1/2}{2^n}[/itex]; however if you had vn = 1/2n instead of 1/2n-1, that would converge. And since [tex]\sum\frac{1}{2^{n-1}} = 2\sum\frac{1}{2^n}[/tex] you could use that for your proof.

FAQ: Find Limits of Converging and Diverging Series for Homework Solutions

1. What is the purpose of finding limits of series?

The purpose of finding limits of series is to determine the behavior of a sequence as the number of terms increases. It helps in understanding the convergence or divergence of a series and in evaluating infinite sums.

2. How do you find the limit of a series?

To find the limit of a series, you can use various methods such as the ratio test, root test, comparison test, and integral test. These methods involve determining the behavior of the terms in the series and using mathematical concepts to evaluate the limit.

3. What is the difference between convergence and divergence of a series?

Convergence of a series means that the sum of all the terms in the series approaches a finite value as the number of terms increases. On the other hand, divergence of a series means that the sum of the terms approaches either infinity or negative infinity as the number of terms increases.

4. Can a series have a limit if it diverges?

No, a series cannot have a limit if it diverges. The whole concept of finding limits of series is based on the assumption that the series is convergent. If a series diverges, then the limit does not exist.

5. How can finding limits of series be applied in real-life scenarios?

Finding limits of series can be applied in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. In physics, it can be used to model the behavior of particles in a system. In engineering, it can be used to analyze the stability and convergence of numerical methods. In economics, it can be used to predict the growth or decline of a market trend.