Linear Acceleration of a Rigid Object with Attached Disks and Tension on Cord

• Thread starter Nicolas Gallardo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Linear
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the linear acceleration of an object with two disks attached through an axis, given a tension force on a cord. The attempted solution involves using the equation T=αI, but the mistake is made in assuming the moment of inertia is the same at the edge and center of the disk. The correct solution involves taking into account the point of rotation at the contact point with the ground.
Nicolas Gallardo

Homework Statement

The object of the figure below has 2 disks attached on both sides through and axel of negligible mass. Both disks of mass M. I need to find the linear acceleration of this object knowing there exists a tension T on the cord.
Sin título.jpg

Homework Equations

:[/B]

T=αI

The Attempt at a Solution

:[/B]

First we know that :
τ=αI ⇒
T(R-r)=I(a/R)⇒
T(R-r)=(2(MR^2)/2)(a/R)⇒
T(R-r)=MRa⇒
a=(T(R-r))/(MR)

But the solution of the exercise is : a=(T(R-r))/(3MR)

What am I doing wrong?

Attachments

• Sin título.jpg
    Sin título.jpg
    4.1 KB · Views: 251
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Nicolas Gallardo said:
I(a/R)⇒
T(R-r)=(2(MR^2)/2)(a/R)
You are assuming that the moment of inertia relative to a point on the edge of a disk is the same as that relative to its centre. This is not true.

Orodruin said:
You are assuming that the moment of inertia relative to a point on the edge of a disk is the same as that relative to its centre. This is not true.
But how would the moment of inertia change? Both of the disks are rotating with respect to the center axis...

Nicolas Gallardo said:
Both of the disks are rotating with respect to the center axis...
No they are not, the instantaneous point of rotation is the contact point with the ground ... and you certainly are not computing the torsion relative to the central axis.

Orodruin said:
No they are not, the instantaneous point of rotation is the contact point with the ground ... and you certainly are not computing the torsion relative to the central axis.
Yes! You are right! How could I be so dumb. I am sorry I am new with rigids body dinamics. Thank you for your help.

1. What is linear acceleration?

Linear acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity in a straight line. It is a measure of how quickly an object is speeding up or slowing down.

2. How is linear acceleration different from angular acceleration?

Linear acceleration refers to the change in velocity in a straight line, while angular acceleration refers to the change in rotational velocity around an axis. Linear acceleration is measured in units such as meters per second squared, while angular acceleration is measured in units such as radians per second squared.

3. How do you calculate linear acceleration?

Linear acceleration can be calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time. This can be represented by the formula a = (v2 - v1)/t, where a is the linear acceleration, v2 is the final velocity, v1 is the initial velocity, and t is the time interval.

4. What factors can affect linear acceleration?

Linear acceleration can be affected by several factors, including the force acting on the object, the mass of the object, and the opposing forces (such as friction) acting on the object.

5. How is linear acceleration used in real-world applications?

Linear acceleration is used in various real-world applications, such as in the design of vehicles, sports equipment, and amusement park rides. It is also used in physics and engineering experiments to study the motion of objects.