1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Find magnetic field from temporary magnet

1. Mar 9, 2017 #1
    What I've not been able to find after literally spending several hours researching is if you can find the formula to find the magnetic field strength from a temporary magnet. Or, to be put in better terms, what would be the force between two objects if one is a magnet and the other is something like a piece of iron? I've found ##F=\frac{KBH}{d^2}##
    Where:
    F = Magnetic Force
    K = Magnetic Permeability
    B = Magnetic Field
    H = Second Magnetic Field

What I haven't been able to find however is how to find the magnetic field of 'H', or the magnetic field of the 'iron'.
    Thanks for answers

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 10, 2017 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

It is complicated. To get some rough approximation, you can assume that the second magnet will produce a magnetic field as strong as the field at its place without the magnet.

4. Mar 10, 2017 #3
    Thanks, and if it's not too much to ask, would there be a way to approximate or find that?

5. Mar 11, 2017 #4

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Approximate what, the field from the magnet at that point? If the distance is large enough, you can approximate your magnet as a dipole and use the formula for dipoles.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted