Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Find magnetic field from temporary magnet

1. Mar 9, 2017 #1
    What I've not been able to find after literally spending several hours researching is if you can find the formula to find the magnetic field strength from a temporary magnet. Or, to be put in better terms, what would be the force between two objects if one is a magnet and the other is something like a piece of iron? I've found ##F=\frac{KBH}{d^2}##
    Where:
    F = Magnetic Force
    K = Magnetic Permeability
    B = Magnetic Field
    H = Second Magnetic Field

What I haven't been able to find however is how to find the magnetic field of 'H', or the magnetic field of the 'iron'.
    Thanks for answers

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 10, 2017 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

It is complicated. To get some rough approximation, you can assume that the second magnet will produce a magnetic field as strong as the field at its place without the magnet.

4. Mar 10, 2017 #3
    Thanks, and if it's not too much to ask, would there be a way to approximate or find that?

5. Mar 11, 2017 #4

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Approximate what, the field from the magnet at that point? If the distance is large enough, you can approximate your magnet as a dipole and use the formula for dipoles.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted