Find matrices X given an equation.

• Thread starter candymountain
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Matrices
In summary: I_2In summary, the homework statement is asking for matrices that satisfy the given matrix equation. The Attempt at a Solution introduces two variables, S and T, to capture all the solutions.
candymountain

Homework Statement

find all matrices x that satisfy the given matrix equation
[ 1 2 3
4 5 6] * X = I_2

I_2 is the identity matrix 2x2

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I just inverted the square matrix
[ 1 2
4 5]
so it becomes
[5 -2
-4 1 ]
so X should be
[ 5 -2
-4 1
0 0]

but my book solution introduces 2 variables S and T to capture all the solutions, how do i do this?
*ps, how do i make my matrices neater?

Physics news on Phys.org
The way you went about it is a little odd. I personally would have written:
[tex]
\left(
\begin{array}{ccc}
1 & 2 & 3 \\
4 & 5 & 6
\end{array}
\right) \left(
\begin{array}{cc}
a_{1} & a_{2} \\
a_{3} & a_{4} \\
a_{5} & a_{6}
\end{array}
\right) =\left(
\begin{array}{cc}
1 & 0 \\
0 & 1
\end{array}
\right)
[/tex]
Multiplied them out and solved the linear equations. You will get four equations to solve for 6 unknowns, this is where the variables t & s come into it.

I would just treat it as two simple linear algebra problems of finding the solution space for Ax=b:[tex]

\left(
\begin{array}{ccc}
1 & 2 & 3 \\
4 & 5 & 6
\end{array}
\right) [/tex]

simplifies to the reduced row-echelon form matrix

[tex]
\left(
\begin{array}{ccc}
1 & 0 & -1 \\
0 & 1 & 2
\end{array}
\right) [/tex]

So we have
[tex]

\left(
\begin{array}{ccc}
1 & 0 & -1 \\
0 & 1 & 2
\end{array}
\right) \left(
\begin{array}{c}
a_{1} \\
a_{3} \\
a_{5}
\end{array}
\right) =\left(
\begin{array}{c}
1 \\
\end{array}
\right)

[/tex]

and
[tex]\left(
\begin{array}{ccc}
1 & 0 & -1 \\
0 & 1 & 2
\end{array}
\right) \left(
\begin{array}{c}
a_{2} \\
a_{4} \\
a_{6}
\end{array}
\right) =\left(
\begin{array}{c}
0 \\
\end{array}
\right)

[/tex]

thanks for the replies.
I see how it's more intuitive to do it the algebraic way, so I'll just discard the inverse trick.
Using the rref makes it pretty simple, but when i reduce the one on the left side, do I reduce it on the right as well, if say we're given a matrix other than an I_n ?

candymountain said:
thanks for the replies.
I see how it's more intuitive to do it the algebraic way, so I'll just discard the inverse trick.
Using the rref makes it pretty simple, but when i reduce the one on the left side, do I reduce it on the right as well, if say we're given a matrix other than an I_n ?

Yea, sorry I forgot to change the right side. But yep, just apply Gauss-Jordan elimination to the augmented matrix (which includes the right-hand side).

can anyone verify this?

my 1st column came out to be
a = t
b = -2 -2t
c = 5/3 +t

and 2nd column
d= s
e= 1-2s
f= -2/3+s

1. How do I find the matrices X given an equation?

To find the matrices X, you will need to use a system of equations. This means that you will have multiple equations with the same variables, and you will solve for the variables by manipulating the equations. Once you have solved for the variables, you will have the matrices X.

2. What is the purpose of finding matrices X given an equation?

The purpose of finding matrices X is to solve for unknown variables in a system of equations. This can be useful in many fields of science, such as physics, engineering, and economics. It allows us to model and understand complex systems and make predictions based on the equations.

3. Can I use any type of equation to find matrices X?

No, you cannot use any type of equation to find matrices X. The equations must be linear, meaning that the variables are only raised to the first power and there are no products or division involving the variables. Non-linear equations cannot be solved using matrices.

4. Is there a specific method for finding matrices X?

Yes, there are several methods for finding matrices X, such as Gaussian elimination, Cramer's rule, and inverse matrices. These methods involve manipulating the equations in different ways to solve for the variables. The method you choose will depend on the specific equations and variables involved.

5. Can I find matrices X using a calculator or computer program?

Yes, there are many calculators and computer programs that can find matrices X for you. These tools use algorithms to solve the system of equations and provide the values for the variables. However, it is important to have a basic understanding of the underlying concepts and methods in order to interpret and verify the results.